Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/210/200 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 71%
Question How did I lose weight in my sleep?

I'm not complaining but...
This is my 5th day on Atkins and this has happened twice. I weigh myself before going to bed and then weigh myself right when I get up. No bowel movements or urination during the night and same clothing. The scale tells me I have lost 1.5 lbs. This has happenned twice. Where does it go? I checked the bed - lol. Is it all mosture being exhaled, or is my body mass being converted from fat to muscle changing the cell's weight ratio somehow?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:28
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%

Theory 1:Gremlns-The scale gremlins sneak in each night and secretly change your scale up or down... depending on their mood for the day. (lol)

Theory 2:Evaporation - The food you've ingested is modified to liquid in the body and you sweat it out overnight due to erotic dreams and/or being chased by monsters...or was it monsters that want sex?? (lol)

Theory 3:Gas- Your body has pent up enormous amounts of toxic gasses from that bean burrito you snarfed down for lunch or dinner. At night (only), you let out enough gas to fill the hindenburg blimp. Unfortunately, the only evidence for this theory is a sore bum or dead plants/animals in the immediate area. (lol)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:32

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Don't know the answer to your question but if you weigh yourself before bed you will be heavier, that's when your body is the most bloated. I can weigh up to 5 lbs more at bedtime than in the AM.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:33

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

BTW Coolcat ROFLMAO!!!

I believe in the Gremlin theory...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:39
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Talking Hi Coolcat !

Is there any way I can make the weight gremlins (the happy kind) visit me at least once a week ??

LMAO !
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:
Default You are Always Heavier at Night

Actually, the moon is also playing a role here. The reason we gain weight in the PM is the same reason we get a high tide, because the moon is exerting a stronger pull on our little section of the planet. If you don't experience at least a SLIGHT weight gain after the sun starts setting, it is probably due to hugely fluctuating water-levels in your body.... normal for people losing aeight, but also a factor we must assimilate into our weigh-ins.
And of course, we usually have 'lost' that weight once we weigh ourselves in the morning. Another reason not to do daily or multiple-times daily weigh-ins.... too many factors that come into play.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 18:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's very normal to gain weight from morning to evening. Remember, the foods that we eat and the liquids that we drink don't magically lose their mass and weight once we chew and swallow them, nor are the immediately eliminated from our bodies. It's very common for me to weigh as much as 5 pounds more at night than I did that morning.
Overnight, we lose water through breathing and sweating/evaporation even if we don't need to get up during the night to urinate. Results? You weigh less in the morning than you did when you went to bed the night before.

I blame overnight weight GAINS on the scale gremlins (may the carbs from a thousand Krispy Kremes find a permanent home on their backsides!).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 18:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watersidhe
Actually, the moon is also playing a role here. The reason we gain weight in the PM is the same reason we get a high tide, because the moon is exerting a stronger pull on our little section of the planet....

Hmmmm? Where I live, we get two high/low tides most days, and the tides shift by hours over the course of week/month, but I always weight less at 7 a.m. whether that's near a high or low tide. Gonna have to insist on some proof before I buy this theory.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 21:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Nick--I'm with you on that one...

Besides, we all KNOW it's the Whoosh Fairy!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 00:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%
Talking fell out of my rocking chair...

Whusssap, smackdaddyo!!!! aka Coolcat.. you are a complete 360 degree RIOT. that was hilarious. Its saturday at 3am.. and i was sitting here feeling so utterly disgusted and depressed.. but ur scientific theories cheered me up tremendously and I want to be your friend! hahaahah. Because Im slowsly but surely running all of mine out of my life! Hooray. LOL Good luck to everybody!! Enjoy the weekend. I'll be here waiting for you all
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 08:03
Registered Member

Stats: 205/191/150 Female 5'2 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

LMAO Coolcat!!! That was hysterical - thanks for the laugh!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 21:02

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

you all have too much time on your hands, lol, and BTW,,,, when the moons rises full I howl and sniff outside,,,,,the next morning I am bloated and full feeling,,LOL,,,,,but I am certain my `late night` meal was high protien....................

waaaooooooooooohhhhooooooooo