Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:21

Plan: Zone and Atkins
Stats: 137/136/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Question Anyone out there with thyroid and still loose weight?

Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone has lost weight on Actins when they have a Hypo thyroid? I'm on snthroid .50 I was on Actins for 3-4 months and didn't lose a thing! I walked 4 miles everyday and drank 64oz. of water. I teach and help my husband on the farm. We also have 3 children...7,9 and 10 year old. Anyway I really would like to try Actins again if it would work for me. I have about 15 pounds to lose.I'm 5'2. Any ideas would be great.....thanks. Youngest of 7

I know it can work.....my neice lost 20 pounds, brother -in -law lost 28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/176.5/170 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

My friend has that condition. So far she's lost about 20-25 lbs, in about 4 months. I'm sorry I dont know any details like medications or other things. She's been on strict induction for the 4 months.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:42

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi

I've gone from a high of 182, to 154. I did a modified kind of Atkins plan, around 60 gms/day. As a thyroid person, I have to watch that I don't let my carbs get too low as that can cause stop us from converting thyroid hormones. Atkins states this in his book.

I've been doing 30 - 40 gms/day for the last month, after restarting LC, and I've only lost 8 lbs, no more than when I did 60 gms per day.

You may want to experiment with increasing your carbs a little, and make sure they're low glycemic like fruit, yogurt, nuts, and sprouted grain bread.

Good luck

P.S- You also need mediation with T 3 -the active thyroid hormone in it. I take Armour thyroid. Check the thyroid site at about.com, it's an excellent source of information....

Maggie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 19:59

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

[QUOTE=krempges]Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone has lost weight on Actins when they have a Hypo thyroid? QUOTE]

I was diagnoised with Hasimoto's hypothyroidism 2 weeks before I started my Atkins WOL. So far I've lost 131 pounds in 16 months. I take levoxyl because of an allergic reaction to synthroid. I stayed at induction level carbs for 7 months to jump start my weight loss. I avoid the veggies that interfer with the conversion of T4 to T3 that are on the akins acceptable veggie list in chapter 11 of his rules of induction in the new book. When I get to premaintenance I may add them back and have my doctor adjust my dose but right now the scales are moving and I'm feeling good so I don't want any changes.
Your hypothyriod condition will not effect your ability to lose weight on the Atkins plan if your thyroid hormone levels are kept in range by your doctor tweaking your meds as needed and you are doing all parts of the plan ,Doing the mandatory required daily exercise, following the rules of induction and eating from the acceptable foods lists only the amount of food needed to satisfy your hunger at the time you are eating, drinking the required water and taking the vitamins and supplements you need.

Happy low carbing to you.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 03:19

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Hi Atkins4myW, congrats on your loss. May I ask what kind of lc foods you avoid now because of your hypo condition?

Last edited by serrelind : Sat, Oct-25-03 at 06:20.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 06:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd be interested to know where there's a list of Veggies that can interfere with T3 conversion for a person with Hypo-thyroid.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 08:01

I'm really surprised you doctor didn't talk to you about these when you were diagnosed. You can eat them but you need to keep the amount of them you consume consistent as your doctor titrates your dose of replacement meds. It is also a very good idea to get the complete thyroid panel done since you can have normal T4 and THS while your T3 is still low. Caffeine interfers with it too.

Here is the list of the goitrogen veggies and food you can have on Atkins phases I and II
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard greens
Kale
Turnips
Rape seed (Canola Oil)
Soy
Pine nuts
Millet
Peanuts

And most manufactures low carb foods use soy like the bars and tortillas. There is some debate as to whether cooking destroys the effects of them. But I'm not willing to experiment with it. I do eat the faux tators or coleslaw at special events once in a while but as my doc said once in a blue moon isn't what I'm talking about.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 10:24

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Not me....I first started low carb a year ago...I am only 4 lbs slimmer. My dr advised that because my metabolism is soooooo slow, the only way to get the fire stoked again is to exercise and weight train ALOT. And not to expect any substantial results for a year!!

Needless to say I was very discouraged....but oh well....I have been trying Atkins and South beach....

My thryroid is causing unbelievable cravings....which makes it really hard to stick to.

Natascha
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 15:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkins4myW
I'm really surprised you doctor didn't talk to you about these when you were diagnosed. You can eat them but you need to keep the amount of them you consume consistent as your doctor titrates your dose of replacement meds. It is also a very good idea to get the complete thyroid panel done since you can have normal T4 and THS while your T3 is still low. Caffeine interfers with it too.

Here is the list of the goitrogen veggies and food you can have on Atkins phases I and II
nd most manufactures low carb foods use soy like the bars and tortillas. There is some deBroccoli
Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Mustard greens
Kale
Turnips
Rape seed (Canola Oil)
Soy
Pine nuts
Millet
Peanuts

The goitrogenic property of the listed vegetables is believed to be destroyed with cooking ... they're mostly problematic in their raw state. Soy on the other hand is goitrogenic for a different reason - its isoflavone content, and this is same whether cooked or not.

The goitrogens affect the thyroid gland directly, with a similar action to antithyroid drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism. They do not affect the conversion of free T4 to T3.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 15:42

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I was diagnosed hypothyroid when I was 13 yrs old (I'm 49 now). I've been on so many different kinds of thyroid replacement meds...the one I'd been on the longest was Armour. About three years ago my thyroid took another nosedive...and I gained LOTS of weight...and couldn't control it. My doctor gave me the standard blood tests (TSH, T4) and said that my problem could NOT be my thyroid because I was taking enough meds. I suggested that maybe I needed more extensive testing, because I'd read that the thyroid can be in trouble in other ways...and he told me that it wouldn't do any good...this was all the testing I needed. I sought a second opinion...friend who is a naturopathic physician. She listened to everything I said, saw my test results, and agreed....with ME....and prescribed a T3 med (Cytomel) just to see if it helped my symptoms. It seemed to, and I began exploring the low-carb diets. Over a year passed...and my original doctor did additional bloodwork on me...THEN informed me that my new tests showed my thyroid was lower and I needed a higher dosage!! He switched me to levothroid...strictly a T4 med...and I dropped the Cytomel. Aaahhhh...finally....stabilization.

However...my weight was...over 300 lbs!!! How do I get that off me?? CALP was my first choice in the lowcarb area....lost 17 lbs...then stalled; then started gaining again. I began Atkins on August 1st....didn't lose any weight until week 4...dropped 3 lbs...then nothing else until week 9, after discovering a chronic candida overgrowth...began treatment...and now seem to be losing on a somewhat regular basis. I've lost 9 lbs...from my starting weight on Atkins....YES it can be done when hypothyroid....sometimes it takes awhile to get started...and other obstacles might impede progress...but YES...it works!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
The goitrogenic property of the listed vegetables is believed to be destroyed with cooking ... they're mostly problematic in their raw state. Soy on the other hand is goitrogenic for a different reason - its isoflavone content, and this is same whether cooked or not.

The goitrogens affect the thyroid gland directly, with a similar action to antithyroid drugs used to treat hyperthyroidism. They do not affect the conversion of free T4 to T3.

Doreen

Doreen have you found a definitive study on the cooking issue. Everything I've seen that agrees with that says it is thought it may destroy the effect, but nothing concrete. Could you site a study please? Because if cooking them would definitely neutralize them I'd love to eat more of them.

The T4 to T3 inhibition statements can be found in DR Alan Rubin's book "thyroid for dummies" as well as several websites devoted to thyroid issues.