Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 06:28

Plan: BERNSTEIN
Stats: 110/110/120
BF:
Progress:
Default Insulin index

I am diabetes 2, and have been on this LC for 3 months, and I can keep control my BG under normal level.
I eat much fish and chicken.
but... I just found article about insulin index
http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/insulin.htm
where studies show that cheese, beef , fish , and other high protein food still make pancreas secretes high level insulin, eventhough the glucose level is low
so.... if we eat much high protein food, does not it mean we will also make our pancreas burn out , because it still secretes high level insulin ?
Anybody have opinion ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 15:23

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am not diabetic, but if your blood sugars are under control then you are eating the right foods and in the right quantities.

Realise that this article is published by a vegan society, so if they can spin the data to reduce the consumption of animal and fish protein then they will.

Finally if you look at the data chart then you will see that the protein foods are at the bottom of the chart and many of the usually consumed carbo foods are at the top of the chart in terms of the insulin response, eg bread, rice and donuts. The lower insulin response cerials could mean anything, is it a non-sugar muesli for instance and are the cerials consumed with or without the usual garnishment of a tablespoon of sugar ???

These questions usually go unanswered when there is an agenda to push as there clearly is in this article.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 04:20

Plan: BERNSTEIN
Stats: 110/110/120
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your response,
You are right, that those article may still a big question .
I found that Mendosa also have article about this....
http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default insulin index

This is interesting but what does it mean? Should we just live on lettuce and olive oil?
I saw a show on Discovery Health about diabetes last week. A man with the disease said having diabetes was like having to think about every breath you take rather than having it controlled automatically. Sometimes it does feel that way.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nopie - I saw that show on DISCOVERY HEALTH. What did you think of it? My daughter (who has never seen me test BGL) almost passed out when she saw how much blood that lady took out of her finger. I was agast as well. I reassured my daughter that I barely have enough to fit on the head of a pin.

I was a little surprised at the lask of support that New Zealand researcher was getting. On a "conspiracy theory" note, do you think that if someone found a cheap and complete cure for Diabetes....it would be offered to us? Think of the economy. Some BIG companies would go belly-up without profits from Diabetic supplies/drugs. Entire Endo groups would find themselves working crosswork puzzles. Just a thought.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default diabetes show

I didn't think the show was very well done. It seemed that the producers of the show didn't really understand diabetes and, although they mentioned type 1 and tpye 2, I don't think they really got it. It did tend to dwell more on type 1 which didn't interest me that much. The quote from the man who said having diabetes was like having to think about every breath you take was basically the only thing that really struck a chord with me. Sometimes I want a day off and I just have to keep thinking about breathing! Sigh! Self pity! Self pity! Okay, chin up, shoulders back, get over it!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUGROHO
where studies show that cheese, beef , fish , and other high protein food still make pancreas secretes high level insulin, eventhough the glucose level is low
so.... if we eat much high protein food, does not it mean we will also make our pancreas burn out , because it still secretes high level insulin ?
Anybody have opinion ?

i'm not supporting vegeterianism, God forbid, but i've too read that too much protein taxes pancrease as well. it's just slow relesed. big meal in general will trigger greater insulin response. this is why it's recommended for diabetics to eat small meals more frequently to get steady release of insulin and stable blood sugar. hope, my comment won't get me in trouble. LOL
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 16:55

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Nugroho - when you say you're eating "much" protein food, exactly what do you mean? Dr B recommends a fixed amount with each meal. It seems that when I follow the carb guidelines, 6-12-12, and an amount of protein food that seems filling, like with me, its an egg or two for bf, couple strips bacon, 3 or 4 oz meat at lunch, 6 or more oz for dinner - anyhow, when I put this into Fitday, it turns out something like 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs. So I don't think its a "high protein" diet. But yes, several of us have noted that overdoing the protein food, will cause a long (like 5 or 6 or more hours) slow rise in bg's.But I can't imagine that being nearly as harmful as the handgrenade effect of carbs.As the Mendosa site points out, the glycemic index is a predictor of insulin index. So if we stay on the very low end of the gi, never stuff down too much of anything, we've got the best chance of keeping everything nicely balanced. Bill
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:33

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUGROHO
I just found article about insulin index
http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/insulin.htm

This obfuscatory, jargonistic and unscientific (shamelessly, egregiously unscientific) article shows nothing of the kind. Listen to this nonsense and you'll soon be a Type I diabetic.

To paraphrase Dorothy Parker: "This is not an article to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."