Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/195/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Just found out I'm pregnant!

Well I've been doing Atkins quite faithfully now for 3 months, staying in the Induction phase of it, and today I just found out I'm pregnant with #6.

Well my hubby immediatly said, no more Atkins, I told him I still want to reduce my sugar intake, he agreed. I'm considered a high risk pregnancy for several reasons, but dehydration to the point of having a permanent IV is one problem I've had. At any rate, if anyone has done this while pregnant, especially high risk, I'd love to here how it's going or how it went....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Whoohoo Congrats!!! My mom just had baby #8 three months ago, Im the oldest (19). Babies are great! The more the merrier!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:28
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Congrats!!!

It is generally advised to go up to maintenance level while pregnant. You're smart to limit your sugar/refined carbs and not be overly restrictive, IMO. Your baby can only benefit from you not eating nutritionally empty stuff!

There are a few low-carb Moms-to-be hanging around, and I'm sure you'll hear form them soon.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Congradulations

Yes restricting sugar is a great idea for both you and baby. You only need about 300 extra calories a day while pregnant, but a ton more nutrients and minerals. Try to make each bite count packing your day with plenty of fruit, veggies, and fresh dairy. Occasionaly you may give in to the pregnancy cravings, but hopefully with your blood sugar under control, the cravings will be much more manageable. Don't use pregnancy as an excuse to overendulge, but don't be to hard on yourself either

Cottage cheese with berries, kiefer (I read it's better for you then yogurt while preggie *shrug*), plenty of protien to keep your lean mass and help to build the baby's, and fat for both of you It's to bad winter is here and the price of fresh fruits and veggies have gone up. Frozen, unsweetened berries and peaches are a wonderful sweet treat that carry antioxidents and so on. With the upped carbs you can enjoy yams, and other fall treats such as apples, pumpkins, and squash, all Lower carb and great for health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:41

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Congratulations!!!!!That's so wonderful--we have 6 too!

When I was pregnant with this last one, I Somersized and found that it worked really well. On her plan you eat carbs (like whole grain cereal or bread) with no fats. You can have veggies and carbs/no fat or you can have protein/fat/veggies. What was so great about it is that you could eat plenty of carbs for energy and for the baby, but since they're separated from the protein and fat you don't get indigestion. That was a big factor for me to stick with it!!!

It was very clear during this pregnancy that I wouldn't have gained if I hadn't cheated. Every time I cheated (cake, cookies, whatever), I automatically gained a minimum of 2 lbs. I rarely ever gained when I was being legal!

Good luck and God bless your new little one!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 12:41

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Congratulations. I know there's another expectant lady on the board going for 100 grams a day. I think that would cover a lot of good food.
Remember...there are essential fats. There are essential proteins. But science has not yet discovered an essential carbohydrate.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:18

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
But science has not yet discovered an essential carbohydrate.

What about fiber?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 16:26

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknymonkey
What about fiber?

I think she meant net carbs... cause fibre can be gained from other good stuff like non-starchy veggies & fruits which are not really 'carb foods' iykwim.

Katt
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
today I just found out I'm pregnant with #6.

Wow, that is amazing. You are a machine.

TC
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:42
Registered Member

Stats: 215/195/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yes, indeed I am...he looks at me and BAM I'm pregnant!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:17

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Congrats to you!!! Good luck with the WOE
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:42

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

We just had #3 four months ago. I have always said all he has to do is look at me funny and I'm pregnant. I pretty much continued my plan thru out the pregnancy(a few cheats here and there) and only gained 21lbs.(see my stats in the signature). My avitar picture <--- was taken 5 days after delivery. Congratulations!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:39
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

It is possible to maintain an eatting plan while pregnant as long as you are eatting proper foods. My mother was obese when pregnant with my brother, it was high risk due to her weight and she had already had one misscarrage. Her Dr. put her on a strict eatting plan and she gained 1 lb her pregnancy. For every one pound of baby weight she gained, she lost one of hers. She was 35 lbs lighter after delivery. I agree with the others, go up to Atkins Maintenance. If you need a few more carbs now and then, have some carrots or even *gasp* a potato!!
I'm not doing Atkins (I did read the book!) I'm Schwartzbein. I have approx 150 grams carbs and I'm still losing, albet slowly, it's still leaving and I can stay to plan. (as long as I don't go near any sugar!!) Congrats on the latest bambino.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Congrats!! Wow number 6!!

I just delivered my daughter 6 weeks ago and continued lowcarbing throughout my pregnancy (by not only my orders, but my doc's orders as well)... I am also considered high risk, having lost one baby to miscarriage and one to a very early stillbirth I was sent to a perinatologist who determined that I have an autoimmune disease... During the pregnancy, I developed Hyperemesis, Gestational Diabetes and was verging on Pregnancy Induced Hypertension when they finally induced (I had gained over 20 pounds in two weeks due to swelling)... If I even looked at sugar or bread my glucose readings would go through the roof so my doc was very adament that I avoid anything sugary or starchy at all costs...

At any rate, this way of eating is great while pregnant as long as you get in enough nutrients (veggies, milk, protein, some fruit & of course your vitamins)... I am currently breastfeeding while lowcarbing and it's going great...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 04:27

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Wow, congratulations. I bet you're so excited.
I wish I knew about low carbing when I was pregnant.