Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 63"
BF:over 30%
Progress:
Default Fiber

Hi,

I'm doing Induction Phase of Atkins, keeping carbs to 20. How do you get 20 to 30 grams of fiber into your diet with the limited amout of veggies that we can have?
Any ideas? Thanks..Yunie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

from Atkins.com:

"The Induction phase of Atkins does not quite meet the United States Department of Agriculture requirements for intake of fiber, which is 25 to 35 grams daily. This can easily be met by supplementing your diet with a tablespoon or more of wheat bran, psyllium husks or flax meal. Once you add more vegetables, berries, seeds and nuts back into your diet, you will be consuming plenty of fiber."

A lot of people recommend these fiber supplements, but I'm not sure how many actually use them. (I don't.)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%

You should try tracking everything that you are eating on FIt day. SOmebody just made that suggestion to me and I was surprised to see that I had actually gone over (just by a couple ) 20 grams one day. It seems like a pretty cool way to track what you are eating. Are you trying to go over the 20 grams of fiber or keep it under 20 grams?

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lalise, just to clarify... you can aim for 20-30 g of fiber, and it's not counted in the 20 g limit on carbs on Atkins. Only sugar and starch carbs are counted - fiber is not digested. Therefore, you could get 19 g of "countable carbs" plus 20 g of fiber on top of that.

...though for the record, that's a lot of fiber! I usually only get 15-20 g, even when I take a fiber supplement...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%

whoops, quite right... thanks for the correction
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I eat flaxmeal, bran and protein powder hot cereal most mornings...kind of a "one-shot wonder"...lol
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 22:14

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

I agree with Potatoe free and Kristine--fiber is non-digestible and helps keep your bowels moving well. My husband and I eat flax cereal quite often in the morning too--reminds me alot of cream of wheat. Make sure the flax seed are gound into meal first. Ha!! Good luck to you on this WOE. Alice
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 23:13
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

what do you guys use on cereal instead of milk? I would love to have some cereal.... yum.... even if it is flax and bran.

Thanks,
Shana
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 23:26

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Porcellino, have you ever had cream on your cereal? It is sooooo good! (No, I haven't had cereal on induction, just have been a cream on cereal junkie my whole life!)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 00:20
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

with all the decadant things I have eaten... I have never tried cream on cereal - have had lattes made with it at Starbucks, though

any cereal suggestions?

thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:45

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 63"
BF:over 30%
Progress:

Thanks for the help.

Yunie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

I cut my cream with water to make it more "milk like".
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:38
Registered Member

Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

omg I know that you can - fiber but I've never really paid much attention to it, after reading this thread I went back and looked at my fitday and I am only averaging about 2 grams of fiber a day. On my highest day I have had 3 grams, Is this really bad? Other than the poop problem (I know to much info) Could this be hampering my weightloss?
I dont really care for veggies, but I do eat a salad everyday, with iceberg lettuce, ham or turkey, egg, (sometime) cheese,

Thanks for any info.
Kara.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 23:28

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Kara-z, get away from that nasty iceberg lettuce! That stuff is all water and a little bit of fiber. Branch out into the wonderful world of salad greens: red romaine lettuce, spinach greens, chard, beet greens (when available), and there are so many more! I'm not fond of bitter tasting things so there are some I avoid like raddicio. You really do need to eat your full servings of vegetables (either 3 salads or 2 salads and one cooked low-carb veggie) in order to get what I consider the start of a decent amount of fiber in your diet on induction (my highest fiber to date has been 13 grams, but I had sort of a cheat that day--at a whole artichoke which put me over on carbs ), but generally speaking I get at least 9 grams of fiber daily.

Porcellino, I'm not far enough along into the eating plan to do cereals yet, but I was reading the other day one could try cooked old-fashioned oatmeal with cream, butter and cinnamon on it. I just may try this when I get there because I absolutely adore Shredded Wheat with milk, brown sugar and butter on it. I don't even like oatmeal and that sounded good! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 07:35
Registered Member

Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

Hi lila, Thanks for your response, Just to be clear though you meant 3 cups of salad or 2 cups of salad and one cup of other low carb veggie, versus 3 salads correct? Because I do get my 3 cups of salad I just so happen to do it all at one time. I will try to get away from the iceberg allthough I do enjoy it far over the other types that you listed.

Just a note, I looked up oatmeal and it said that its 12 carbs per half cup cooked. Ouch. Thats really not very much oats compared to the carbs. Talk to you soon,
Kara