Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:46

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%
Unhappy Going away this weekend......help!

DH is taking me away for a long awaited mini vacation. I work full time and have 2 wonderful boys....so my schedule is full. Anyway...he really wants me to go away have fun. He has planned on taking me to a few nice restaurants and Im alitle scared. This is the first time I really feel like having a few "forbidden" foods. Not to go crazy... but enjoy and savor a few "old " favorites. Im almost positive I can do this and on monday when I return go right back to eating LC. I still haven't totally convinced myself to do this yet....but its been actually worrying me and im affraid I will be so uptight about going out to eat that I wont enjoy it
So what do you think.......have a few things.....but not get crazy....or just resolve to the fact that I shouldn't at all even think about it...knowing how much hard work I have done over the last 8 months....hmmmm
Im really torn....I know DH will be ok with any decision I have as he is very proud of my accomplisments so far.....
I really want to have pasta...... but I know how much carbs are in it......
Im not really even concerned about the weight gain...I know after a few days of water it goes away.....

what do you all think????

Thanks
Janet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:50
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I would say stay away from it... you will be sooo proud of yourself... I mean that pasta got you to where you were before... and as it says in the books... the foods that were our "favorites" are usually the foods that we were addicted too.. If you can still enjoy yourself and not indulge... I would say go for it... You will probably be soo much happier w/ yourself in the long run..

Good luck on whatever you decide... and have a great well deserved vacation
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:06

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I don't know where you're going, but I live in Ontario too and there's a lot of good restaurants here - why not stick with seafood and meat, you can order a cheese tray as well. If I were going to think about a cheat it wouldn't be with pasta if I were away, it would be splitting a good bottle of wine with DH

Have a great time.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:15
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

If I were you, I'd just try to relax and play it by ear. See how you feel when you get to the restaurant. (Make sure you're not starved, though!).

There may be a choice on the menu that looks good and is low carb. A really nice piece of fish or meat, for instance, with a nice sauce. Extra veggies so you wouldn't miss the potato/rice. Enjoy a nice glass of wine or two, and maybe share a small dessert with your DH.

I've done this a couple of times for special occasions and it hasn't set me back. Even if you decide you really want that pasta or whatever, as long as you don't let it go past the weekend -- better yet, the meal -- it will be okay.

It's your choice. Only you can weigh the pleasure you'll get from enjoying a nice meal against the possibility of disrupting your progress temporarily.

If you decide to indulge, plan to be extra good the next week, and don't be disappointed to see a small gain on the scale. For some people, this gain seems to be persistent, but others (like me) lose it in a day or two.

Whatever you do, don't get cocky if you manage to escape unscathed. I came home from a month holiday, during which I ate more carbs than usual - still mainly LC -- and had more wine, etc, than usual. I was so happy to have not gained (in fact I lost a couple pounds from being more active) that I started thinking a bit of carbs here and there wouldn't hurt. Big mistake. Cravings came back big time and I lost a month of progress, though I did not gain more than a pound or two.

The point of this longwindedness is that after being super strict for about 5 months, I've come to the point where I feel I am capable of making the right choices 99% of the time. I won't beat myself up if a special occasion leads me to have a bit of pasta or a dessert. To me, that's part of making this a lifestyle. As long as I keep high-carb things to a rare treat, instead of a weekly or daily indulgence, I do just fine.

I think this is very personal and you have to find what works for you and which lifestyle factors are right for you.

HOpe you have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

K.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:27

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

Thanks everyone for your replies...I think I will stick to only allowable foods....like shrimp...steak..veggies...and forget the pasta...
I really am proud of myself and I dont want to get old cravings back for food that really I have done fine without it for many many months.

I will just wing it.......and not worry about it...scan the menus for good stuff......
Im really looking foward to going....so I guess its time not to make food an issue with everything I do in life...heck I should be excited he is planning on treating me with lots of new clothes....
He says I deserve it....I guess I do....
I will ONLY eat....what Im allowed and Im sure It will be a great weekend away....funny how when he first said this to me...I instantly thought....I wont have fun..cause I cant eat all the stuff I used to eat at restaurants....we always went away...and kinda made a game of going to unusual restaurants...eating lots of different stuff....mostly carbs....deserts....fancy drinks full of sugar....well I guess now I have to make special occasions about being together....not just around food...

Live and learn.....

thanks again.....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 13:53

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Isn't it funny how we think that when we go out to eat, it's always "bad" food? Whenever I ate in a restaurant I always ate waaaaay too much and felt stuffed afterwards. Now when I eat out, I order things that I don't make at home very often...and always sauce on the side so I can dip and get a little taste.

Have a great vacation. Relax and enjoy yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 16:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Marchstart.....I agree that you should try to avoid the high carb pasta but, if you decide to indulge....only eat half of it. Or better yet, have a couple of forkfuls from hubby. I believe that denying yourself only leads to binging later on. I still think you are safer with the meat and fish but, if you must, a little pasta will not kill you. Enjoy being with hubby and try to stay active to burn off any of those calories. Have fun and let us know how you did!