Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/220/150 Female 5'5
BF:Getting better
Progress: 28%
Default Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six weeks, no loss at all. NOT EVEN AN OUNCE. I have been faithful, 20 carbs a day, drowning in water, gave up aspartame and sugar alcohols, upped my fat intake, and weaning off caffiene. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, nil,six loooooong weeks. Any suggestions? If I didn't feel so good I'd throw in the corn chips(oops, towel). Oh well, at least I haven't gained.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:51
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Default Hm

Frustrating! How much do you exercise?

Also, if you post your food intake for a couple of days in here, people will analyze it for you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:54
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

It looks like you lost 20 lbs at some point. Was that on Atkins? Are you in Ketosis? Are you peeing on the strips? There is a chance (like 1 in 1000) that you are one of those that can't lose on the diet, but I bet there is something else going on. What are you eating? Getting enough fat?
First things first if you really want to find out why you aren't losing and that would be if you are in ketosis or not. Hmmmm? Mad
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 18:10

I've got the lovely tin taste...wanna smell? lmao

I have it most of the time. I am so computer stupid I don't know how to link my fit day to my posts. Any one help me? pleeeeeeeeze :-)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 18:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Throwing out the SA's and the asperteme were good ideas. Post your typical menus for others to look at. Are you using www.fitday.com to see if you are getting way to little or way too many calories or hidden carbs? Eggs, coffee, and many other things do have some small amount of carbs. Plus then you can share your menu's easily with others on the board to help make suggestions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:39

Cool I did it !!!

All by myself...here is my fit day link. Have at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong.. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 21:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On fitday, with things like your brussle sprouts. Enter them in as raw, then add in any butter or oil you use. When you enter in fat added in cooking, fitday will assume you use 80% margerine and dump alot of salt on top which can throw your numbers way off.

First, cut way back on the cream. I think it's only 2-3 Tbsp a day allowed.

You're menu looks really good. If you just aren't having success these may be a few suggestions, but overall you're doing well.

Macadamia nuts are a nono in induction, not sure if you have moved on to OWL. You might also want to cut down on the processed foods a bit as they are high sodium and could be helping to cause water weight retention.

Also add some variety to your diet. You are doing great on veggies, but it looks like you have eaten the exact same thing for the past 4 days. That can get really old really fast

Watch the tomatos as well. They are a fruit, and some stall with them while most do ok. It is just one thing to think about.

What are the rolls? It looks like they are somewhat high in carbs. While you stay under your daily limit, having a large percentage of your daily carbs at one meal can cause an insulin spike which undoes everything else If they were really high fiber and low net carb, don't worry. They are still a grain though, even LC and may be something to cut out.

The sausages may make for water retention, also be aware that some have alot of hidden sugars. Read the lable carefully.

Overall your menus don't look to bad. If you continue to not stall you may want to lowe ryour claories just slightly. Maybe shoot for around 1800 to see if that helps. While most don't have to watch calories on Atkins, some do.

You may also have a food intolerence. One thing to check is to try and cut out all dairy for 1 week. Even though you are staying reasonable on the cream and cheese, dairy can just effect some people poorly.

You may also want to read the candidia chapter about diet restrictions and see if you have any symptoms of a yeast problem.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 21:37.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 23:15

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Have you thought about trying the fat fast that Dr. Atkins suggests for true stalls which would be 6 weeks with no weight OR inches lost?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 07:32

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah, that's what I was wondering as well - have you been losing inches?

I understand your frustration. I was in a depressing, multi-week stall for over a month. It just unstalled this past week, but I did notice that I was continuing to lose inches even with no movement on the scale. It isn't quite as satisfying as downward scale movement, but at least you know you are moving in the right direction!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 07:53

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I'm not a complete expert here but I remember reading that sometimes artificial sweetener fakes your body out, and you get an insulin reaction just like its sugar.

Try no artificial sweetener for just a few days, and keep everything the same.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:06

Stats: 150/139/120 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 37%

I would look for hidden carbs as well, I thought I was doing so great and I just used fitday for the first time and found out that I was going over my 20 carbs--just on little things ..like having that extra tomotoe on my salad and etc..
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:36
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Destinie:

Why don't you try to go back into induction (under 20 carbs a day) for two weeks and see if that kicks you back into weight loss? Mike
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:41
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

One thing that has helped me continue on with a stall is to start "grazing" going from "3 squares" to more spread out smaller meals helped me get moving again when I wasn't cheating and still not losing.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 06:29

Default going to keep trying

Yeasterday I actually measured my cream, oops....i was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over my limit. Maybe that's my problem. I also have been thinking about what I could have added 6 weeks ago to make me stop losing. I might have it.......FRESH, HOME GROWN, RED, RIPE, JUICY TOMATOES. They are gone now, so let's see what happens. I will NOT eat a pink or orange tomato -ICK.

Now to answer all your questions, yes I am in ketosis, yes i walk alot, started induction in June, now on OWL but still only 20 carbs, O'solo rollz, 10 grams carbs but 7 fiber, every now n then when I want something different.

I'm pretty sure there is no hidden anything in what I'm eating..My family laughs at me because I'm so anal about what I will eat.

The Fat Fast is the LAST thing I want to try, not very appealing and not very healthy as a pre-surgery diet (going in hosp. on 20th). My surgeon thinks it's fabulous I'm on Atkins.

About the artificial sugar, I only use Splenda and there is no entry for that on Fit day, any suggestions as to which 1 to put in there?

Thank you all so much for all your help. I'm sure you will hear me screaming with joy when the pounds start coming off again.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:23
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Default I'm by no means an expert...

and by the beginning of last week I wondered if I'd ever lose more weight. Stalled for 7 weeks. Know how you feel. I asked for help in this forum and they went through my fitday (hacked it into pieces) and told me I was not eating enough ! WHAT, not eating enough ?????? So last week I upped by carbs and cals. Cut down on cream (been there done that) and had more vegs. At whoops, down 2 lbs. Could be other reasons of course, but I notice that you're doing fine with the calories but a bit on the low side on carbs every day. It's better to be a carb or two over than below.....or so I've been told. I've aslo stopped eating macadamias (they're soooooo addictive).

Here's advice that Gilibel gave me:
Basic FAQ tips for stalls:
- up the calories (if too low - based on your weight in lbs etc)
- lower the calories (if too high - " )
- drink more water, drink more water and some more water
- cut down on salt/sodium
- skip any kind of sugar alcohol/fake sugar, even Splenda. as it can send confusing "sugar"-signals to your system
- make sure you're not eating foods with "hidden carbs". Use Fitday scrutinously.
- move your body more, every little thing you do counts. Walk one extra length to the next bus stop instead, skip the car and bike to the shop, skip the bike and walk to the shop... Skip the elevator, take the stairs. Do things immediately when you remember it (take out the garbage, find that receipt, go to the kitchen every time you need a refill of your waterglass instead of bringing a big can to the table... etc.)

If you need to up your carbs without upping calories - that's simple. Most medium carb-rich veggies have quite low energy. Like broccoli (100g= 29kcal, 2.3 net carbs) and other cabbages, for instance. Or zucchini (100g=14kcal, 1.7 net carbs.) Skip some of the lettuce (roman, iceberg etc - hardly any nutrition in them anyway) if that's what you eat and introduce a bit sturdier veggies like the abovementioned instead, and you will up your carb count.

And from Becky160 (she did a great job for me)
Eat between 1600 -1800 calories From which:
4 -10% should come from Carbs ( no more than 20g of Carbs)
25 - 30% should come from Protein
65 - 70% from FAT

Everybody has been soooo supportive. I hope you break your stall. I'm just passing on advice given to me, and I know it helped me......

GOOD LUCK !