Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:01
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Suggestions Appreciated

Well this is my first week and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:09
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Pick up a copy of the book and read it cover to cover-not just the diet how-to section. It is a fairly quick and easy read. Then, while you are taking a break from doing that, check out the Atkins.com site for induction tips to jumpstart you-and/or start walking!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:09

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:

Welcome Kim! You're off to a great start coming here. I'd recommend a few things: write down everything you eat & drink in either a journal or fitday, take a good multi-vitamin, drink at least 8 glasses of water daily, & count those carbs, weigh yourself regularly but also take measurements often (waist, hips, thighs, etc) lots of times you're losing inches even when the scale says there's no loss, & be active. Most important be patient & stick with it, remember you didn't gain all the weight overnight so you can't expect to lose it that way either. We're all here to help whenever you need it. Good Luck & God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

buy Buy Dr Atkins "new diet revolution" book and read it. Follow his induction in the book. Drinks lots and lots of water. Dont eat anyfood not on his induction list. Remember its only 2 weeks!!!!!! Then you can add things in not on that induction list
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:20
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

I read the the New Diet Revolution. So far, I eat 2 fried egss (in real butter), salad with turkey, cheese, and italian dressing for lunch, and an omlet for dinner. How does that sound?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:21

Watch out on the dressings many have sugar
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:28
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

How much sugar is allowed? (0) Because it only has 2 carbs for 2 tbl. spoons.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:31

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:

As long as you count the 2g carbs in your daily total it should be OK. Stick with dressings containing a max of 1g per 1tbsp. Also make sure you measure your serving sizes, 2tbsp isn't much so make sure you're not using more.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:35
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

How long does it take before you really start to notice the pounds coming off? I just started and I am determined not to weight myself until the end of week 1. I did however by some of those Thinz strips and mine have started turning purple.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:41

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Ohio Kim - re-read your book. NO sugar is allowed. Try Splenda - it's available at krogers, Big Bear, Meijers and Walmart. It's a little more expensive than sugar, but it's okay to use.

Your menu - you're not eating enough. You need to get your consumption up. I'm not where I can use my calculator, but it looks like you need more veggies, more fat and if you eat it, more meat. Atkins isn't based on eggs and salad alone. That's for those restrictive diets that leave you HUNGRY. This diet works by restricting your carbs, not your fat. Fat (healthy, natural fat) is what makes this way of life work.

Suggestions:

my breakfast today: 2 egg omlet filled with 1/2 avacado, 5 chopped black olives, 3 chopped strips of bacon and about 1 oz of cheddar. The omlet was made with cream and cooked in coconut oil.

Lunch: 2 cups spinach, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1 chopped stalk of celery, 2 chopped eggs, left over roasted chicken chopped into the salad and shredded queso blanco melted over the whole thing. Olive oil dressing.

My dinner will be: Lamb chop, another spinach salad and either broccoli or cauliflower. For my sweet I'll have diet jello made with cream. (small box of jello - 1 cup hot water, 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup cream poured into 4 2-oz plastic containers for easy transport).

Snacks - am - full fat string cheese
pm - Hickory Farms snack sticks (sausages with 1 carb).

I'm out of induction, but everything I mentioned except the snack sausages are fine for induction.

Sounds like a lot of food, doesn't it! But I'm losing weight at a steady rate and that's the point. I also drink about 4 liters of water a day (roughly 16 glasses of water) and take my vitamins and supplements.

All of my salads get olive oil and all of my veggies get butter.

Oh, I'm not a particularly tall person (hence the name shortstuff) and this amount of food keeps me very comfortable.

How soon will this work? Depends on your body, but you should see some weight loss at the end of the week. I weigh myself only about every 8 days or so because you will have natural ups and downs.

Good luck and what part of Ohio are you from (I'm in Columbus).

shortstuff

Last edited by shortstuff : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 14:44.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:43
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

I'm from Northwest Ohio. (Near Van Wert) Thanks for the suggestions. Is there any Salad Dressing you suggest because I think that is the only thing I am eating containing sugar?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:46

well said shortstuff
ohio here too. Cincinnati!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:46
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Shortstuff. What part of Ohio are you from?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:48

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Can't help you there. I sincerely dislike store bought salad dressings. You might want to look at something like bleu cheese dressing or something like that. Just read the labels and make sure the ingredients don't list any of those sugars (usually end in "ose") except sucralose which is what Splenda is.

I'm in Columbus.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 14:50

I make my dressings myself that way I can control every carb. They taste better to