Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 01:50

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 220/220/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm Terrified!

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few weeks ago and they went ahead and did a lipid profile too.

My numbers seem outrageous to me- and I'm only 23! My blood pressure was great...this was totally unexpected. Somebody tell me that I'm not going to drop dead right tomorrow. I started Atkin's today in attempt to stop problems before they get bad. I never thought I'd be worrying about my cholesterol in my early 20's!

Trig 357

HDL 40

LDL 135

Ratio: 6.2
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi--

You can relax a bit...your numbers, while high, are not horrible. And they are going to get much better before long.

I'm 30+ years your senior, and my before/after numbers (after doing the Atkins program for 3 months and dropping 45 lbs) looked like this:

Trig 348/119

HDL 36/39

LDL 197/119

Ratio: 8.4/5.1

In addition, my BG (Blood Glucose) numbers (which were in the 300+ range) have dropped to around 100...with no medication.

You should expect an initial (and substantial) drop in your triglycerides, but a nasty jump in your LDL numbers in the first few weeks of weight loss. This is normal. Your body uses the bloodstream to clear away the waste products from disintegrating fat cells, and your rate of loss may outstrip your body's ability to filter the excess LDL from your blood. By the time you hit the 6-month point on Atkins, you should have experienced one or two "stalls" that allow your body to "catch up" on those filtration tasks. (Everybody complains about them, but I love what they do for my numbers).

Once you've completed Induction, you may want to consider adding foods like avocados and almonds (or macadamia nuts) to boost your HDL numbers.

You're going to be fine, now that you've recognized the problem and are doing something to deal with it.

Isn't it nice to know you're on the right track?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 05:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

My lipids also got a lot better after lcing. My HDL went up (which is a good thing!), LDL went down along with my trig. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Make sure you get your tests done after a 12 hour fast. I made the mistake of drinking coffee with cream in it before I had a set done. Yikes.