Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:37
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default I'm thrilled with these numbers--I think!

Blood work just came back. 12 hour fasting test. I'm still taking Lipitor.

Total cholesterol: 171 (down from 177 pre-low-carb with Lipitor; down from 300 pre-low-carb without Lipitor)

HDL: 65 (up from 51 pre-low-carb)

LDL: 106

LDL/HDL ratio: 1.64

Triglycerides: 57 (down from 75 pre-low-carb with Lipitor).

Two observations: The only variable I've changed since beginning to take Lipitor is my WOE. Obviously it's working to raise HDL and lower triglycerides.

In Protein Power, the Eades warn that cholesterol levels may plummet on that WOE, and that if one is taking a statin, one should monitor levels to make sure they don't go too low. That hasn't happened.

I'm very pleased with these results. It would be great if my HDL could go higher, but I'm already exercising and can't drink alcohol, so I doubt it will. Other than that, does anyone see problem areas?

Should I ask my doctor to see if I can stop the Lipitor?

In my opinion, this is a thorough vindication of this WOE for me, since it's the reason I'm on it to begin with.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:45

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

your right rose,they are very similar to mine.pleased they,re good.well done
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know from personal experience that increasing use of mono unsaturated fats, upping the vit E and quitting smoking are all other ways of increasing HDL. Thos might help if you could employ them (if you don't already that is).

Those are great numbers, btw
-Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 08:53
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Thanks, Nat. I already do the mono fats and don't smoke, so the only thing to try is the vitamin E. Will do.