Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Ahhh! Sorry guys...Im back!

I have been sitting in front of the computer for 45 minutes now logged into FitDay trying to balance my fat/protein. I cant figure out a way to add the protein without adding the fat. My fat is probably around 50%. This isnt good right? Also, I dont think I can eat the amount food I need to eat to get enough calories for the day! This is so complicated. I know it just seems that way cuz Im not used to eating MORE carbs and Im getting used to subtracting fiber too. Im doing 25-30 NET carbs a day. Adding lots of veggies (romaine, artichoke hearts, broccoli...), having a piece of fruit a day (tomorrow is 1/2 a small apple..). Can anyone suggest a way to add protein? Everytime I add something, its almost the same amount of fat that Im adding in. I just added a tuna patty in, which helped some, but I dont feel like eating a tuna patty every day! Here's my FitDay link...maybe you guys can help? http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...CottonCandySky1

I have to get to the grocery store and get some berries, and some more veggies.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 21:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there El,

You're right 50% is not good - it should be much higher! This is not a low fat way of eating. I lose best when my fat is 70% or even higher.

Now I know you are actually underweight at the moment, and so you don't want to lose any more weight, but you still need more than 50% fat.
So you don't need to worry about adding protein without adding fat. Personally I don't think you need to worry too much about counting anything much except your carbs. Just add some meat, chicken or fish, whichever you prefer, and the numbers will take care of themselves. Be generous with the fat, and you'll find you're getting plenty of calories.

Your carb intake looks good. I know it's more easily said than done to increase your carbs when you've been keeping them low, but it look as though you are doing a good job. Well done!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:12

BF:

Thanks!!! Im so sorry for being such a nag lately. I search the forums first to try and find my answers, sometimes I do...sometimes I dont. And then when I have another question I dont know whether to put it in a NEW thread or just post it in 1 I already made. I actually have another question right now. Several...

Is it okay to have 1-2 pieces of fruit a day?

When I eat a piece of fruit should I also have a Tbls. PB, or a piece of cheese? And whats the purpose in doing that?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:28
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Keep asking away, El. That's the whole point of the forum.

The idea of having cheese or similar with fruit, is to give you some protein with straight carbs. If you eat fruit on its own, particularly on an empty tum, you may wind up with a big insulin hit that could even lower your blood sugar to the point where you feel unwell. We're all different though, and some may be affected more than others. You may not be affected that way at all. It also depends on the fruit, some have a lot more natural sugar than others.

I think 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day is a really good way to keep those carbs up.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:45

BF:

So...Lemme figure this out...When I eat fruit...I need to have some form of protein. How much? Like a teaspoon of peanutbutter, or a piece of a Purdue Short Cuts chicken? Do I need to be eating a source of protein when I eat all higher carb foods (veggies, pasta-LC kind). Hehe by pieces of fruit...I mean...1/2 a small apple, or a small peach...? Thats okay? Thanks!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 22:54

BF:

Another thing...The past 2 days the new things I have added are:

a nectarine
flaxmeal
small apple
Darielle pasta (only 1/4 cup dry..small amount..I just wanted to see how it tasted...)

Tomorrow the new foods are going to be artichoke hearts, and broccoli (I had broccoli earlier on this WOE but not enough to matter).

Do you think I need to stick with these foods for a week or more and get my body used to them, or does it not really matter as long as Im eating a source of protein with them, and not going above my carb/cal. intake?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

El, other than the pasta your choices look to me. I'd tread lightly with grains and processed stuff like pasta, just because it can be a slippery slope.

You want to have the protein or fat with the carb because both of them will slow how fast it gets turned into glucose and how much insulin is secreted. Having high fiber carbs also helps with this.

As long as you're choosing good carbs to add back in you can pretty much pick and choose the ones you want to try. One advantage to picking a few and using those for a week is you get familiar with the choices and you can tell if any of them are triggers for you - choosing a few different ones every day makes this a little tougher to do.

-Nat
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:31

BF:

Im actually so far past cravings, and wanting certain foods. I simply dont have that problem, period. I guess it sounds weird to everyone else but I have had no problem with this WOL. Do you mean slippery slope cuz of cravings?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Yes, slippery slope because some foods may set you off. My BF can't deal with grains / gluten. They make him ill and they can set off a carb-o-rama. My mother has to watch out for nightshades (potatoes) they cause her arthritis to flare up. For some it's simple sugars.

I can completely understand that you have no problem with cravings - I'm the same way. I can take the sugar or leave it. I've done carb ups on another plan that involved eating over 600g of carbs from plain old simple sugar in a 24 hour period and jumped right back to Keto eating with nothing more than a sore mouth (from all the dratted sugar). Others are not so lucky - being a carb addict is like having any other addiction.

-Nat
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 10:43

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

maybe try some avocados - high in fat plus count as a veggie.