Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/223/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Fat Fast- How long is ok, Vitamins, etc?

Hi!

I'm on 3rd day of fat fast as outlined in Atkins book. I'm doing this because after 6 weeks of strict induction, I still wasn't in ketosis, and typically lost 1 #/ week. A few weeks I lost more. I tried "loosening up" from the strict induction,staying at 20 carbs but adding some other foods, but that didn't really help either. I re-read the book, and after the first 3 weeks, my I'd lost 5#. None of the other things in the metabolically challenged area seemed to apply to me, so I decided to go the fat fast route...

How long is it safe to do the fat fast??
Do I take the vitamins/ supplements while on fat fast??? (I have been, but am not in ketosis, and wonder if that is why??
After the fat fast, assuming it finally kicks me into ketosis, do you stay in ketosis when you go back to eating 20 carbs??
How long on the fat fast does it "ususally" take "resistant" people to get into ketosis??

Thanks for the input!

Dube
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 10:31

BF:

Another question???

Are spices ok on the fat fast- like could I mix some cinnamin with my cream cheese. Also what about Splenda- is it unlimited, or should I keep it to the 3 packs/ day as on induction??
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 16:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Dube,

I'm afraid you may not want to hear this, but I don't believe you should be attempting the Fat Fast at all. The Fat Fast is for those people who are metabolically resistant.

If you are losing 1 pound a week, or more, you are very definitely not metabolically resistant. You may be losing a little more slowly than you'd like to be, but you ARE losing, and that's great.

Metabolic resistance means you are unable to lose weight - not change the colour of a bit of plastic. You may well be in ketosis, but just not changing the ketostix. How can that be? For a start it could just be because you are (and I hope you are ) drinking plenty of water.
Have a read of Doreen T's article on Ketosis and Ketone Test Strips for more information. You'll find it (and more good info) in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Do remember too, that the Atkins plan is for life - it is not a quick fix diet.

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 08:48

BF:

In Atkins book it says if you are female and loose less than 8 the first 2 weeks of induction, and have a lot of weight to lose as I do, you are metabolically resistant. I lost a total of 5 the first 3 weeks. I think it was 4 after 2 weeks, but the ink ran on my log, and I can't read it...(the dog ate my homework, etc...) In the book it does not mention amounts of carbs or proteins during fat fast, but i read on someone's post that there were numbers. I've been eating cream cheese (2 oz x 5) , which I figured out this morning gives me 20 carbs/ day, which is more than I was eating the previous weeks when I was aiming for 15 carbs. So what's up with that?? Is there a protein limit on induction?? I was just eating stuff on his list. I really don't like mayo or eggs, so was going the cream cheese and whipped cream route. This is day 4 and the sticks are still negative... I'm also have not been losing inches, and so many including Atkins claim would happen...

Thanks for the input. I'll check outthat site...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 09:09

BF:

back to the original question. Is there a problem with staying on fat fast for a couple weeks, or is there are shorter limit. Someone posted on here somewhere that you should not exercise on fat fast. Is this true?? If that's the case then I don't want to stay on it long... Should I be counting the carbs and proteins?? Or just calories, making sure 90% is from fat??
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Let me repeat Dube, you are losing weight, therefore the Fat Fast is not suitable for you.
Dr Atkins specifically says that it is dangerous to follow if you are not metabolically resistant. By that, he means, such extreme metabolic resistance that you cannot lose weight in any other way.

Here is the link to the info on the Fat Fast from his website: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html

And here is the page about metabolic resistance. http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-475820.html
Quote:
Almost all of you found that you were losing weight. Those who didn't should see The Fat Fast for information on the special weight-loss plan Dr. Atkins has devised for people with extreme metabolic resistance.

Your weight loss may be slower than you'd like, but it is happening steadily. Please try to look at the "big picture." If you keep losing at this rate, you'll have lost over 50 pounds in 1 years time.
Also, the most any of us can expect to lose is 10% of the weight we need to lose during Induction, followed by 5% per month after that. You've lost 14%, just about right on target. You are actually doing very well!

I wish you every success, but please, do stop trying to do this all at once. The Atkins plan is for life.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 06:53

BF:

I've been doing this for almost 3 months, so I'd say I'm not quite on schedule. After day 4 of the fat fast I'm the same weight as Day 2. I lost 1# the first 2 days. It seems to me the concern was that one might lose weight too quickly. Not happening here... 1# in 4 days is nice, but I don't think I'm hurting anything. Since I'm losing so much, I think I'll move on to the modified for a few days,and then go back to induction for the next year or 2... Thanks for your input..
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:27

Stats: 300/217/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 83%

what is your total calories?

are you exercising?