Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 02:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Low-Crab Pasta...Is It Worth It?

Im thinking about purchasing some low carb pasta but at £5 per pack i was wondering if anyone here had tried it and what you thought of it?

Thanks

Emma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 04:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

I've never tried it to be honest Emma, but you can easily make your own at home for a fraction of the price.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Fancy sharing the recipe?

Thanks

Emma
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:49

Sure!

I haven't had tested this one yet, hence it's not in my journal, but give it a go and see how you get on...

1 egg
85g soya flour
Large pinch salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

Place flour and salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the egg and oil in to the well and slowly blend in. Once fully blended, knead firmly for around five minutes. Cover with clingfilm and leave to stand somewhere cool for around twenty minutes.

Thereafter I have a pasta machine to do the work for me! If you don't have one, don't worry...

Oil your worksurface and roll the pasta out using a rolling pin till its about the desired thickness. Then just use a knife (lasagne, tagliatelle, etc) or pastry cutter (tortelloni, ravioli, etc) to cut to the desired shape.

Should boil in around 2-3 minutes.

Play around with the quantities (it may also need a little cream or extra oil because of the different flour) and cooking time if needs be and see how you get on!

Use fresh herbs, spinach, tomato puree (watch the carbs!) or whatever else you fancy to colour it if you feel like it.

Enjoy.

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 07:51.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:02

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

I've not had pasta in 2 years and can't say I miss it. I would not recommend the expense of buying the low carb product unless you are desperate.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:29
Registered Member

BF:

Im not desperate, i just thought it would be a nice treat. But knowing me, i would then want it more and more. I think I will stay away from it.

Thanks

Emma
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:38

I used to eat tons of pasta before I started this diet... it was one of the things I really thought I'd miss! As you'll see, I actually have the recipe and the pasta machine all ready to go...

And still haven't had any inclination to try it! One thing I've found very interesting is how much my tastes have changed since starting induction... sticking to the rules like glue seems to have worked wonders!

All that said... if you do try the recipe, Emma, please let me know how you get on! I'd really like to include it in my journal (I hate seeing folk get ripped off, and most Atkins products are inordinately expensive )!

I know what you mean about staying away though... and having just seen I hadn't yet done the maths, I'm sorry to say that recipe tots up at around 10g carbs per serving (its enough for two moderate portions). Probably best left till after induction eh?!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:19
Registered Member

BF:

If i try your recipe out i will let you know, but as i dont have a pasta machine its going to have to be some craving to get me to buy one
Also i can think of nicer ways to enjoy 10g of carbs, right now a cold beer would be nice, but no as im still on induction, my ice water will have to do for now.

Thanks
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:20

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

£5 a packet?? Blimey. I agree, stay a long way away.

This may not suit everyone, but when the family are eating pasta, I cut white cabbage into very very thin slices, separate into spaghetti like strands, boil them till 'al dente' and drain very well indeed. Leave in saucepan to dry out, add a little olive oil.
Nearly pasta, and certainly good enough if you have a strongly flavoured sauce and lots of cheese.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 02:02

Plan: On my own way
Stats: 149/147/134 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up

I tried this pasta recipe and it worked really well. The only warning I can give is that you've got to like the taste of soya flour, as it is quite strongly flavoured until you cover it with sauce

I don't have a pasta machine, so I had to roll it out by hand, which meant I had thicker pasta than was probably best.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 02:24

Thank you so much for letting me know karate! Good point about the flour... possibly one way of dealing with it (aside from substituting another flour) is also to create sauces designed to compliment the flavour? Maybe something like a spinach, toasted pinenut and mascarpone sauce off the top of my head.