Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein/Atkinish
Stats: 339/321/160 Female 68 inches
BF:????????
Progress: 10%
Question Newbie has questions

Hi I'm new to the forums and on day one of Atkins. I've posted in the TDC Club and the Fibrolmyalgia forum too. I've been type II for about 15 years and have never been under "good" control. Last two hgA1C readings were 7.0. Not bad considering my 13.1 about 10 years ago. I'm on Glucovance (100mg/1000mg 2Xday) and Avandia (4mg 2Xday), tried quite a few different insulins but my fasting sugars went well over 300 on insulin. I found out from my doctor and a couple friends that this is an uncommon reaction in some people. So basically I'm maxed out on my oral meds and can't take insulin and have to get very serious about the weight now. Curious about information on Dr. Bernstein and any help I can get here.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to meeting new friends and getting healthier together!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi jayhawkmom and welcome!

If you'd like to preview a bit of Dr. Bernstein's book before you buy it, you can read and download entire chapters of it from his website at www.diabetes-normalsugars.com
I'd highly recommend it for any diabetic who is serious about getting better control of their blood sugars and reducing (and possibly even eliminating) their need for medications.
I've been using his protocol for almost 2 1/2 years now with great success. Started with an A1C of 11.8 and taking 1000 mg. of Glucophage XR daily and now it's 5.3 with no medications. I'm hoping to get that A1C below 5 eventually.
Dr. Bernstein doesn't focus on weight loss (although weight loss and exercise are covered in his book); gaining and maintaining tight control of your blood sugars at a normal (non-diabetic) level is the primary objective.
If you can't afford the book (it runs about $30.00 American), see if your local library has it or can order it for you.
Check it out and feel free to ask all the questions you like!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:14
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 10/10/10 Female 1
BF:
Progress: 100%

#4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 173/160/140 Female 5 ft. 3 in
BF:36.9%/36.9% 15%
Progress: 39%

I havent been on this forum long ,but it did help me to get the book, i learned alot and it really helps. I did find mine at the Library. Good Luck