Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%
Default How many of you have supporting spouse/signficant other?

Since trying to lose weight since Jan., this morning, I got up and realized that I needed to thank my signficant other for all of the support and encouraging words he has shown me throughout these months. Even at my highest weight, he was one that always said he "loved me" and that he would be there regardless what.

He was also cheering me on when I lost 3 lbs, 10 lbs, 20 lbs, and now even 35 lbs. Saying how proud he was of me and that he would do whatever to help me.

I told him this morning how much I appreciate all of the love and support he has shown me and that it MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE when someone you love is on your side.

I wanted to know how many others have been blessed by the ones they love showing them support and always there when sometimes the light is not so bright at the end of the tunnel?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Exclamation great post, I will need to remember to thank my spose tonight

I also have a very supportive spouse, he always was encouraging if I said I wanted to lose weight, but didn't bring it up if I didn't. He always praises my successes and doesn't ask questions if I don't want to talk about the scale. His one downfall (other than just being better at staying thinner than I am!) is that he offers me bites of his food!!! He loves to cook, so he'll bake a cheesecake and then so bad wants me to try it, "just a bite honey it's my best one yet!" is what I will hear. I nicely remind him that while the bite won't kill me, my cravings for more will take over and so I really can't have just a bite, and he understands.

But I hear reference on this board to a LC cheesecake so next time he feels like making one I am going to stick him with that recipe!!

Continued success to both of us, and thanks for reminding me that I do need to be thankful for support instead of a roadblock living with me.

Susan
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

My husband is extremely supportive. He also follows the WOE, though not as strictly as I do. He still eats some fruit.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:33

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hmmm...sounds like heaven...wish I could say the same
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:36

Stats: 195/150/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

My Fiance is very supportive. He tells me alot how nice I am doing, look, and is my quick reminder when I was to have something that is not LC. It definetly wouldn't be going as smoothly if I didn't have my own "cheering section."
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:42

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Cool Very supportive

he is the best! he goes along grocery shopping and supports me buying foods he wouldn't touch. He never commented about my weight but is appreciative of my changing look- for certain. No complaints about having to buy new clothes either- he deserves a big hug today!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:45
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My DH fell in love with and married me at my heaviest, so I'm not concerned that he "wants" me to lose weight. He also needs to lose about 50 pounds himself. He was very skeptical when I started this diet (mainly because he has seen me cheat and fail at so many others!) and would tease me good-naturedly at some of the wacky recipes I was making. But after two months of seeing how well this is working for me, he has come around and is going to start it himself on Monday!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 225/219/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have a spouse who fghts not to appear gaunt, children like that too, but they have all pulled together to help Mama out. He checks labels, he is the lead grocery shopper around here. He listens, he compliments me. The biggest thing though is that he's a vegetarian and has worked chicken back into his diet so I'm not cooking double dinners. He doesn't buy any sweet stuff at all. He says he can get cookies and sweets outside the house. He only makes enough coffee in the morning for us both to have one cup so I'm not tempted by a half pot of hot coffee left over.

He was skeptical as well, but has come around to evangelize along with me.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:04

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

My bride never considered me fat and now she says I am just plain skinny.

When that happens I have to pinch a couple of inches of the white stuff together and show her....then she says: STOP THAT! YOU'RE MAKING IT DO THAT!.

I am the house husband and do all of the cooking and shopping, so when I decided to do this I told her that meals would be a bit different. She is a financial manager and a quick study and quickly learned what LC was and how it worked. She is 5 foot and 100 pounds and has never had to diet and eats twice her weight a day. I have supplied her with most of the carbs she has been used to and the daily food preparation has only made me stronger and more determined to succeed.

She is amazed by what I have done and how I can not be tempted, and is convinced that I am the strongest person she has ever known.

She literally cheerleads at my daily weigh in and whenever I reach a milestone appears that evening with a bunch of congratulatory balloons. Most important is her kind touch when I am disappointed in my progress and she reassures me that it WILL happen.

A lot of my strength comes through her and I try to pass it on.

Best to you all,
T.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:12
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I must chime in here to say that my DH is the absolute best. He has been completely supportive and is also LC'ing with me even though he's not more than 10 pounds overweight. He does most of the cooking and he's been wonderful about inventing new ways to cook the same old food.

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:26

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have an experience with an ex-gf, which to put it more succinctly, provided more motivation rather than support.

During the apogee of my weight gain when I was eating primarly high carb and high fat foods combined with a suddenly more sedentary lifestyle, I was a hefty 185. Now, on paper, that might seem gaunt enough at my height, but I have very slender bones. Suffice it to say, 185 lbs was not an appealing look for me. I considered myself fat, and looked it in every way.

Now, my girlfriend at the time, remembered me during "better times," I guess. One day, she suggests that I either lose the weight and look like I have in the past, or get lost. Well, to be fair, she put it much more delicately than that; but, that was the jist of it.

So, though it wasn't technically support, I used the rejection as a motivation to do what I have already procrastinated far too long on--start running every morning like I have for most of my life, but armed with a new and healthier eating regimen (which obviously turned out to be low carbing).

Afterwards, I decided it was only fair to reciprocate her motivational gesture "tit for tat," and followed suit by saying to my now ex-gf, "ok, why don't you start looking prettier, or I'm gonna find a hotter looking chick!"

All of you are very lucky to have persons around you who are not only supportive, but accept you for who you are, and not merely how you look.

With kindest regards,

Frederick
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:42

Stats: 265/245/175
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up Mike is great!

I live with my boyfriend, and we both do Atkins. He does not have as much weight to lose as I do, but he is harder on himself about it. We try to keep each other on track and just two weeks ago he started a new job to where we both have the same schedule, so we try to work out together every day - him lifting weights, and me on the treadmill.

It really makes it a lot easier to have someone so close helping you along. I can only imagine the willpower it takes for my friends who do Atkins but their families do not.

The only bad thing about my bf being on the diet with me is that when one of us does cheat, often the other will as well. Right now we are super-motivated to stick to the plan & exercise, since we found out we will be going to the beach soon!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:44
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Afterwards, I decided it was only fair to reciprocate her motivational gesture "tit for tat," and followed suit by saying to my now ex-gf, "ok, why don't you start looking prettier, or I'm gonna find a hotter looking chick!" Frederick

Frederick,

Even though it probably hurt you at the time, it's good to see that you turned this into a positive experience. Good for you!!

So...

Did you find the hotter looking chick??? Inquiring minds want to know the rest of the story...

Jeannie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:15

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Wow! You all do have great loved ones.

And Jeannie I am w/ you..Frederick...I bet you are hotter than ever now. I bet your ex wish she could be w/ you now.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/128/120 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

My husband would rather keep my fat and pregnant all the time he gets jealous when guys look at me but I love the attention He is always commenting on I have no as* too hold on to any more heehee.