Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Letter in the Independent

I know that it's not in support of Atkins, but I've just spotted this letter in today's edition of the Independent, and it did make me laugh - so I thought I'd share it here

Quote:
Diet that works:

Sir: Forget Atkins; in fact forget all diets. If you want to lose weight try breaking your foot. This renders you immobile and reliant on others for food. In my case, my dear husband had the strange notion that I only needed three meals a day, with no little treats in between. It worked - I've lost a stone.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:35

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

That is a very funny letter.
To lose a stone, though, with 'only' cutting out in between meal snacks. WOW. I guess you can eat a LOT of stuff in between meals and probably it is mainly sweet starchy stuff, like biscuits and bread.

Interesting that she said 'forget atkins..' rather than 'forget weight watchers' or 'forget calories..' We ARE taking over the world.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:42
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

There are so many diets out there some good some bad some fads and some are a healthy way of life!! Atkins being the latter, Nobody will ever agree on the same thing whats works for one may not work for another, but I am sure that one day soon all the people who have said Atkins is not healthy and is only a fad will be eating a big slice of Humble Pie!!(how many carbs would be in that?)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
How did you hear about Atkins?? I know that before i started this diet and joined this forum i had never heard a good thing said about Atkins.
But the more Atkins was mentioned the more i was interested in finding out about it, and after reading the book not only was i prepared to 'put my life at risk' as the ill informed say, but the WOL made total sense and i have faith in everything that was written.

Obviously i am not the only person who has done this, and the more they put down Atkins just means more people will be curious to find out for themselves.

With all the bad press lately have you noticed how many new LC we have in the forum?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:38

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

ebbie,i used to think that atkins was a health risk.my friend and her hubby started it and i told them they would die of a heart attack! talk about eating humble pie a few weeks later when i started doing it.so i,m also of the opinion that theres no such thing as bad publicity.
after my friends stopped doing atkins i borrowed their book and started the very next day!