Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%
Default Walking...not effective anymore?

Fortunately, my fitness has improved significantly over the past few months. When I started LCing, my primary exercise activity was walking. Now, however, when I do a 5 to 6 mile walk, on level ground, it is difficult for me to get my heart rate up (my best approximation is 5 miles in 75 minutes, about 4 mph). If the test of aerobic activity is being able to hold a conversation, but being a little winded, I am not getting there. Depending on the temperature, I can work up a sweat; but unless I concentrate on pushing as hard as I can, I do not really "feel" like I am exercising.

Is there still a physical benefit to walking 5 or 6 miles if I am not, or barely, getting my heart rate up? If so, what are the benefits (toning, cardio, fat burning,etc.)? Do I need to just consciously "walk faster"? I definitely feel my workout if I am walking hills (hiking), but I am not a big fan of this; I live near the beach, and there is a great path on which to walk (or blade, which I do).

Thanks for your help.

Please note: I hate running, and I will not run.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:21

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

Walking 7 miles a week that is only 1 mile a day will maintain a weight anything after that is REALLY good for you, plus with in age your balance and coordination will stay up, my grandfather is 82 and walks 5 miles everyday people think he is more like 62, but anyway walking will help you leg and butt muscles so when you reach you weight loss goal you will see the benifits it also helps with abs! Dont stop walking you will be glad you stuck with it in the end try adding ankle and wrist weights, not too much though walking long distances with more than 5-10 pounds on can damage your joints! I used to do this and started again when I stopped is why I am here LOL

Walking is your best friend keep it up! and take care good luck!

Ps I also hate running and wont do it LOL it hurts my back!

Last edited by Meghan : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 12:23.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Michael, can you walk in sand? It really makes you work harder.

As for benefits, see Meghan's post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:39

Thanks Meghan, I appreciate your post, and it makes sense.

Natrushka, great idea; as usual you are psychic. I am planning on doing some beach walking, but I strained my calf a little playing beach volleyball a couple of days ago; so maybe next week. I do find, however, that my calves, in particular, seem to get strained more easily with this WOE (am I crazy?).

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:44

BF:

You might be crazy, I'll check with my crystal ball, but in the interim - are you taking your LC supplements? A shortage of magnesium and calcium might be the culprit, with potassium coming a close second.

BTW, I'm very jealous of anyone who lives near a beach!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 17:53

Natrushka,

OK I admit I probably am crazy. Secondly, not only do I live near the beach, but it never rains here in Southern California! It is always beautiful, and not humid... paradise (at least the weather). No snow, but I go to Colorado for that so it is OK.

Regarding supplements, I am not very knowledgeable about them at all. I take one Centrum multi, three 550 mg Potassium Gluconate, one 250 mg Magnesium, and two 500mg Vitamin C; I do not take Calcium (Isn't that for chicks?). I would welcome any comments or advice regarding supplements.

Thanks.

Michael
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:19

BF:

You're taking the basics, with the exception of the calcium, but I think you're taking too much potassium if you're taking 3x550mg and not enough magnesium.

I'm not sure if chicken require calcium, but I suspect they do - don't hold to that, or their RDA though

As for humans - the RDA is between 1000-1500 depending on age and sex. I just double checked and for men, it's 1000mg. Your best bet is to get a cal/mag supplement, eventually (i.e. once you've finished your current magnesium). Look for one that is chelated (malate, citrate - but not calcium carbonate from oyster shells as it's hard to absorb). You want to take both cal and mag throughout the day, as the body can only absorb so much at once. Most supplements come in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg cal/ 167 mg mag) which is the right mix.

The calf problems could be calcium related - both cal and mag work together to help alleviate these types of problems, although magnesium is the powerhouse. That being said calcium doesnt work w/o magnesium, however calcium plays an integral part in muscle contraction and maintenace of cell membranes.

Magnesium's RDA is 500mg, so you'll want to double that (but again, not all at once). Also, split up the Vit C if you're not already - it too can only be used in limited quantities.

You should notice a difference w/ the increased (and decreased) vits/minerals.

Nat

p.s. It never snows up here either. Honest

Last edited by Natrushka : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 18:21.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:28

Thanks Natrushka. I misled you regarding Potassium - each 550 mg Potasium Gluconate has only 90 mg of Potassium, so actual daily total is 270 mg. I will buy Calcium; since I already have a huge bottle of Magnesium, I think I'll get the Calcium alone until I run out, then I'll get Cal-Mag.

Of course I am not spreading out my dosage throughout the day; thanks for the heads up.

Thanks.

Michael
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 18:33

BF:

And thanks for clearing up the potassium issue. In which case you need acouple more of those pills (yes, more pills!) Generally it's recommended that LCers get 400mg a day when they are actively losing, when it's hot out or when they exercise intensely. I guess all of those apply to you

You'll definitely feel better if you've been under with both mag and potassium.

Cheers,
N
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 21:07
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

I just have to respond to this. Walking is great exercise! That and yoga is all I'm doing and it works wonders. I used to work out a lot but couldn't find a good gym in Frankfurt.........and I know I wouldn't go to a bad one no matter what.

Quote:
I hate running, and I will not run.

".....gentleman will walk but never run..." Sting

Keep walking!

Alina
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 17:46

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

When you have reached that fitness level where walking doesn't push your hardrate enough, it is time to try speed walking. Thats where you are swinging your arms and your hips are rocking. It's what is done in the Olympics. There is much more exercise benefit than regular walking without the pounding of running. The only disadvantage is that it looks funny to those watching.