Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:08
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Slim Jims

Do Slim Jims count as "meat" or do you avoid them? I sent a whole pack of Slim Jims to work with DH today and told him to snack away (he started Induction today). I remember I was positively ravenous the first few days and wished I had something like that to snack on.

I told him the label says 3 Slim Jims is 1 carb, so he needs to keep track. But I'm thinking these probably have a lot of preservatives/sodium/something else that's bad for you in them. Do you eat a lot of these? It's really tough to find a variety of low-carb snacks that don't need refrigeration.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Have some but stay within reason

I have them once in a while but try not to make a habit out of it...Thats in a lot of things though I do have the slim jims if I am getting hungry or edgey b4 lunch or supper. I also take plain pork rinds in a bowl ,drizzle melted butter on them ,sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon!!!Yum,yum, yum!!! What a treat with hardly no carbs! I love to try new recipes so if any one has any to share...please do! Thanks and HAPPY CARBING EVERYONE!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:22
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%
Default Slim Jim's

I get these "Deli Sticks" Pieces and Curls.. from Sam's Club... they come in a pretty large package... and are incredibly good... i noticed on the label that they don't have as much sodium as Slim Jim's...
and are very low carb..

But i am fairly new to this whole thing sooo may be way off as well on if i should be eating these or not..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:41

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I eat them all the time. 3 pieces equals 1 carb. plus they are high in fat which is good. It is processed so I won't used it as a meal, but I use it as a snack, or if I'm on the run.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:33

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

They come in handly when traveling for hours on end with the kids and vacations. Kraft is also so selling small bags of cube cheese at the conveient stores now. Now I have two choices while on the road.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just make sure he is also drinking plenty of water. The higher sodium in them could make him retain water and feel a tad bloated. You may want to cut down on the sodium levels in his other meals to compinsate if it becomes a problem. If he's one of those that sodium doesn't seem to effect to bad then don't sweat it
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 17:00

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

We are going on an extended vacation ( driving) and I have already started packing a snack bag. Plenty of Slim Jims..pork rinds..mixed nuts..and slim jims w/cheese in them. Also got something called pickled sausage that is sold along side the slim jims..don't know if that is good or not. I defintely am NOT packing any carbo lite bars..or atkins bars as they tend to make you need to go to the bathroom ..in a hurry...not good on the road

Anyways...I think slim jims are just fine as a low carb snack