Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 03:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Scared to try reward meal

I have been following a low carb plan of my own design mostly after reading protein power and atkins. However I have been controlling my amount of carbs per day from the safe carbs list. There are some things that have a few carbs in them from the safe list on atkins etc. and I will eat those but things such as bread and a lot of the things that I know for a fact I am highly addicted to I have totally eliminated. I binge on bread related items especially pastries, donuts, cakes etc. so I have completely eliminated them. I have been doing well with this.

One thing is that I am baffled by the idea that according to Carb Addicts Plan that you can eat these items once a day and somehow not fall back into the addiction. For me I do not think this is possible and I am scared to even try. I have failed every time on every diet because if i eat one hostess cupcake it leads to a box of hostess cupcakes which leads to another box and then weeks of binging on this type of item. Now I udnerstand that by eating one of these cupcakes I was putting something in my body that would just cause me to have more cravings. So instead of being satisfied with one I would end up craving them endlessly and I thought the carb addict book explained that pretty well. So what I don't understand is how they can then say that it's ok to eat one a day. I think the whole point is that we can't eat just one a day because we are addicted to carbs!!!! I am desperately afraid that if I were to once again try to incorporate one of these items into my day it would send me straight into a binge. So I don't even try. I don't understand how they can say that we are addicted to these items and that by eating them they are causing us to release insulin making us feel more hungry but at the same time they say it's ok to eat them. Confused!! Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Read the CAD/CALP overview thread here on the forum. It explains how it works very well. Also read the thread Carb allergy vs carb addiction.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 03:18
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

If You are too worried you can start by trying starchy carbs first at RM then sugary sweets lastly. i don't usually have sugary items at RM...I seem to do better that way, but If I do on occasion have lets say birthday cake it doesn't start up the cravings again. When I did Weight Watchers i one totally chucked my diet because of 1 M&M
I think its the insulin surge control
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 03:40

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Armywife,
I understand your confusion, I reallly do. I remember thinking the same thing. But, it really DOES work. I eat my carbs at dinner (and believe me, I eat some of the WORST!) and then I do not crave carbs, or anything else for that matter again after that. Even before my reward meal, I am not really "craving" carbs. Not like I used to. Now, I look forward to whatever carbs I am going to have, but I don't have that "must-have", driven-to-eat feeling that I always used to have.

It only works though if you are really clean with your CMs through the day. That way, no insulin has been released all day, so your rm, even though it might be full of carbs, is not registered that way by your body. I won't pretend to be able to explain the scientific stuff.... I have to keep re-reading it myself so that I can talk to others in my life who are interested in it. It's weird, but it really works. And for me.. it has been a miracle. I have stuck to this for over 11 months. That alone makes it the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Good luck
Tracy