Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default crying my eyes out....

I am so frustrated. I was so determined not to weigh or measure myself throughout induction and I didn't. But, today i have, its been 2 weeks!!

I have not lost ONE INCH i have gained TWO POUNDS.

Now, I have been in ketosis since about day 3, i have drank nearly 100 oz. of water a day, I work out religiously, kept carbs well under 20g and ate approx. 1500 cals a day.

What is going on? If in ketosis i should be losing? I have bout 30 pounds to lose and this is so frustrating.

It is not TOM. I am NOT gaining muscle... I have always lifted and worked out in this way.

So what gives? I'm not doing this anymore if i am going to just gain weight from it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Start a journal and list everything you are eating and drinking, including water and supplements. There must be something that you are eating that is not allowed on induction.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:36

Default hmm

I keep track in fitday. this is my second try at atkins. i don't have caffeine, i don't eat frankenfoods, on my 14th day i had ONE atkins bar. other than that i have been fanatical about this.

i averaged 16-18g of carbs a day, lots of fiber, less than 2 oz. of cheese a day.

see, it didnt work the first time i tried induction, and i really did try much harder this time. BTW i also take supplements...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:38
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

From reading your journal. I see that you have been eating some high protein bars (whether ATkins or not). Those can stall some people. Many say they lose quicker eating whole foods, not shakes or bars. Also, I saw some nuts, and nuts aren't allowed on Induction. I also saw that you had 26 carbs some days? That may be a culprit, too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:39

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Do you measure your food - accurately? In the beginning I wasn't measuring correctly...actually eyeballed lots of my foods...and wondered why no loss until I got out my measuring spoons and cups and started to do it correctly. What I was inputting into FITDAY was far below "true" measurements and was going over that 20 carb limit almost every day.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:41

i do measure my food accurately... promise. we have lots and scales and goodies... i think i have had two bars the whole time... i guess i'll cut those out now
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:43

do you think i need to cut out cheese altogether?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:46

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

gatsbyjas,

You have the right idea, but you need to eliminate the processed foods during induction (I think).

For example your August 3rd Menu:
High protein bar, soy base 1 bar <- Eliminate this.
Pizza with meat, thin crust <- Eliminate this.
Pork, fresh, loin <- Good.
Beef, bacon, cooked <- Good
Cheese, cream <- Good
Cheese, natural, Cheddar or American <- Good
Pork skin, rinds, deep-fried <- Good, but may cause you to retain water.
OSCAR MAYER, Ham <- Ok
Salsa <- Eliminate this.
Onions, cooked, boiled <- Eliminate this.
Butter-vegetable oil blend <- Ok

Your calorie intake seems good. Just go more for the 'less-processed' foods and where arey your veggies??? You carbs should almost only come from veggies. The 20 Carbs you are allowed should not be sugar based as yours appear to be.

Here is my tipical day:
Breakfast: McDonalds 2 scrambled eggs and 2 sausage patties - 2 carbs
Lunch: Hamburger or cheesburger patty & Side salid - 8 carbs
Dinner: 8 oz steak or chicken, with a bit more veggies - 4-6 carbs
No bars, no sugars.

Veggies, Veggies, Veggies - that should be your source of carbs. Re-read the induction chapter of the book. Start fresh and stay solid, this plan will work. Oh, and you may only lose about 4-5 lbs during the first two weeks - typically 10% of what you have to lose.

Good luck and stay happy, you must be feeling better, right?

Rick.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:21

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Everyone else has already given you some great advice. The first time I tried atkins I had a hard time also and I had to tweak a few things. Bars, put me in a stall as well as processed foods. Hang in there and do as the others have suggested and you can do it! good luck hun, I know its very frustrating.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:40

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Remember - 3 cups of veggies and/or salad a day. You are eating too much protein and not enough of the green stuff.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:43

Default thanks

Well, it is truly amazing what an hour on the stairmaster will do for an attitude adjustment. I think that everyone here is right, i've got to ditch the bars. Its crazy, last time i tried atkins i ate almost a bar a day, and this time i had i think 3 in the entire two weeks. Yesterday was my last day, so i had salsa, a protein bar, and other stuff i shouldnt have i guess. I also think that i need to change my supplements

I am going to start doing empty tummy AM cardio, and increase my weight training to lower reps, higher resistance. maybe this will jump start my metabolism. Honestly, if I could just lose one inch somewhere, or one pound in this next two weeks I would be completely sold on this WOE. I just can't believe I gained weight... surely its some freak water thing, I just don't understand.

Also, how can I be in ketosis for 11 days and not lose a lb? actually, gain two? (im not trying to sound whiny.. this is actually a scientific question... maybe if i understand how its possible i can fix it!)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:44

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I agree that it looks like you are having some things you really shouldn't in induction. Reread that chapter and keep trying. It's hard, I know but this does work. We are all her to help and support you. Good luck and please don't give up yet!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:46

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

What supplements are you taking that you want to change?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:57

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsbyjas
Also, how can I be in ketosis for 11 days and not lose a lb? actually, gain two? (im not trying to sound whiny.. this is actually a scientific question... maybe if i understand how its possible i can fix it!)

My first question here was almost that exact same one. Basically what I learned is that your body will burn the fat, but doesn't want to shrink the fat cells - so your body will back-fill those cells with water (there is the weight). Now once your body determines it's not going to refill those cells with fat, you body will pull the water and shrink the cell. A Whoosh (maybe 1-2 lbs). Nobody really knows when/how your body decides to finally let those cells shrink - so all we can do is ride it out. Our body is adjusting and we just have to be patient.

(At least that is what I have learned and think).

Good luck - you are doing the right thing! Just keep doing it. Don't let your body convince you to refill those cells with fat (dont cheat).

Keep us posted if we can do anything else - we are here for you!
Rick
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:58

i don't take very many... what would you consider absolutely crucial? And, I am debating about my multivitamin, the one i take is just a centrum one, not sure if this is good enough
i take a few other supplements too, would have to run up and get them to get the names as they are all quite long and i have a bad mem