Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 08:19

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default What is the fat fast?

I know it's used to break a stall but what do you eat all day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 09:07

Plan: Atkins/hcg/CNS/Diabetic
Stats: 305/288/220 Female 5'7"
BF:Try, try again!
Progress: 20%

The true fat fast is supposed to be a few oz of cream cheese with 5 macadamia nuts repeated 3x a day. Now everyone does their own thing...I do fat above 75% carbs below 5%.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 10:15

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I assume you are talking about the Atkins Fat Fast?

Dr Atkins decribed the fat fast for people who are so metabolically resistant to weight loss that they did not lose any weight during a regular induction. It is only to be followed for a few days, it is consists of five 200 calorie meals per day. He gives a selection of high fat 200 calories meals to choose from.

It is not a "way of eating" or a long term eating plan. It is simply a short diet meant to get severely metabolically-resistant people into fat burning.

The sample 200 calorie meals he proposed were: one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter, two ounces of cream cheese or Brie, one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado, two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise, two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar, two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup, two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content), two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise.

You total food for the day should be at 90% fat. And like I said, it is only to be followed for a cpouple of days and only for the people who cannot lose on strict induction.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 10:26

BF:

Hey thanks for the info!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
I assume you are talking about the Atkins Fat Fast?

Dr Atkins decribed the fat fast for people who are so metabolically resistant to weight loss that they did not lose any weight during a regular induction. It is only to be followed for a few days, it is consists of five 200 calorie meals per day. He gives a selection of high fat 200 calories meals to choose from.

It is not a "way of eating" or a long term eating plan. It is simply a short diet meant to get severely metabolically-resistant people into fat burning.

The sample 200 calorie meals he proposed were: one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter, two ounces of cream cheese or Brie, one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado, two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise, two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar, two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup, two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content), two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise.

You total food for the day should be at 90% fat. And like I said, it is only to be followed for a cpouple of days and only for the people who cannot lose on strict induction.

Hi. In which book did you find that? I have them all, but don't remember any of that except the Macs and CC. I think I might try one of the others.
TIA, Ruth
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 15:44

DANDR

His main examples are cc and mac, but in his further discussion, the other examples are given. I think pretty much any 200 calorie, 90% fat "meal" would work, though.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 15:01

Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
DANDR

His main examples are cc and mac, but in his further discussion, the other examples are given. I think pretty much any 200 calorie, 90% fat "meal" would work, though.

Thanks. I will do some reading!! The ounce of CC might do me, but an ounce of macs would just be a start I'm afraid. However, I have done it in the past, but it's been a long time.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 15:43

Based on what I've read, I think the 90% fat combined with 1000 is the ket, more than the specific foods eaten. Dr. A based his recommendation on the Kekwick and Pawan study.

"“Calorie Intake in Relation to Body Weight Changes in the Obese,” Lancet, July 28, 1956, 155-161 by Alan Kekwick and Gaston Pawan.

Basically, what they did was to take a group of overweight subjects and put them in three groups. Each group received 1000 calories per day. One group was fed 90% carbohydrates, the second group 90% protein, and the third group 90% fat.

The group receiving 90% carbohydrates gained an average of 0,24 pounds per day of the study. The group receiving 90 protein lost an average of 0,6 pounds per day of the study, and the group receiving 90% fat lost an average of 0,9 pounds per day of the study.

This clearly demonstrates the superiority of diets high in protein and fats over diets high in carbohydrates. Note that each group received only 1000 calories per day. It’s interesting to note that even at the very restricted level of 1000 calories per day, subjects fed 90% carbohydrates actually GAINED weight."

http://www.paunchiness.com/kekwick-...t-loss-results/

I think the most fascinating part is the weight gain seen in high carb, very low calorie participants. I've never bought into the whole calories in/calories out theory. But then, I have insulin resistence, so I am living proof that calories isn't the whole story here.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 17:19

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/146.2/135 Female 5'6"
BF:24.2

Quote:
Based on what I've read, I think the 90% fat combined with 1000 is the ket, more than the specific foods eaten. Dr. A based his recommendation on the Kekwick and Pawan study.

"“Calorie Intake in Relation to Body Weight Changes in the Obese,” Lancet, July 28, 1956, 155-161 by Alan Kekwick and Gaston Pawan.

Basically, what they did was to take a group of overweight subjects and put them in three groups. Each group received 1000 calories per day. One group was fed 90% carbohydrates, the second group 90% protein, and the third group 90% fat.

The group receiving 90% carbohydrates gained an average of 0,24 pounds per day of the study. The group receiving 90 protein lost an average of 0,6 pounds per day of the study, and the group receiving 90% fat lost an average of 0,9 pounds per day of the study.

This clearly demonstrates the superiority of diets high in protein and fats over diets high in carbohydrates. Note that each group received only 1000 calories per day. It’s interesting to note that even at the very restricted level of 1000 calories per day, subjects fed 90% carbohydrates actually GAINED weight."

http://www.paunchiness.com/kekwick-...t-loss-results/

I think the most fascinating part is the weight gain seen in high carb, very low calorie participants. I've never bought into the whole calories in/calories out theory. But then, I have insulin resistence, so I am living proof that calories isn't the whole story here.

I SO agree. I've long known from experimenting with myself that it's not only about calories. For me, due to incredible insulin resistance, it's about very very low carbs combined with lower calories. Either one alone doesn't work so much.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 19:09

BF:

But isnt fat high in calories?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 20:01

1000 calories of fat is no more calories than 1000 calories of carbohydrate.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 20:28
Registered Member

Stats: 265/240/212 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
But isnt fat high in calories?

Yes it is. So, aside from the Fat Fast, if you up your fat percentage you need to keep that in mind so you don't stall from eating too much calorie-wise.

I just did something close to the fat fast today.

I had 3 cups of coffee, with heavy whipping cream. 1st cup had tbs of CO.

About 10am I had 2 oz of pepper jack cheese. At about 1pm I had 2 more oz. At 4 another 2 oz. Then around 6:30 I had 2 oz of shredded cheddar with 4oz of lettuce, .5 oz onions, 3oz of tomato, and a couple of celery stalks.

I did get a little hungry around 4pm but most of the day I was not hungry and I had no urge to snack at all.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin
Yes it is. So, aside from the Fat Fast, if you up your fat percentage you need to keep that in mind so you don't stall from eating too much calorie-wise.

I just did something close to the fat fast today.

I had 3 cups of coffee, with heavy whipping cream. 1st cup had tbs of CO.

About 10am I had 2 oz of pepper jack cheese. At about 1pm I had 2 more oz. At 4 another 2 oz. Then around 6:30 I had 2 oz of shredded cheddar with 4oz of lettuce, .5 oz onions, 3oz of tomato, and a couple of celery stalks.

I did get a little hungry around 4pm but most of the day I was not hungry and I had no urge to snack at all.

Oh now I get it - Thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 09:57
Registered Member

Stats: 265/240/212 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
Oh now I get it - Thanks!

=)

I plugged in everything I ate at fitday and my total for the day was only 1200 calories. But fat is very, very filling so while I was mildly hungry a few times I never felt starved at any point.

The plan calls for eating at intervals. The point to that, I assume, is to space out the fat intake so that you never get a starved feeling that will make it tough not to cheat.

I don't follow Atkins strictly so I didn't mind modifying it a bit for my needs.