Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 19:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Buffalo Wings problem

I LOVE hot wings and it was great to find out I could eat them on Atkins, but there are two problems I am having.

The first and most important is that according to FitDay they have about a gazillion calories in them. I have been trying to keep my calories in the 10x range and a meal of wings seems to almost top out my calorie limit for the day! How are others coping with this dilemna?

The second is that I don't find the recipes I have seen here, very spicy or tasty. I tried the butter, Frank's Red Hot, Cayenne pepper, garlic marinade and then baked the wings and while they were nice, they weren't really very hot. They just seem to be missing something. Any other ideas? I don't have a deep fryer so I am not in a position to be deep frying them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Stats: 225/157/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default hot wings

I am making hot wings tonight...I make mine with a couple tbsp. of margarine and a small to medium bottle of hot sauce. Melt the butter, add the hot sauce, then I soak the wings in the sauce for a couple of minutes and put on a baking sheet. I bake at about 375 for an hour, basting and turning occasionally. Yummy!
Note: I have noticed that the more butter you add the less spicy they are. Maybe its coincidence but its just something I've noticed.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/234/200
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default go for the chili!

If its a heat thing try pureeing some jalapenos/ serranos and adding that to your hot sauce. Most off the counter hot sauces are just too weak. I like trappeys red devil, its very mild and not as salty as the others so it makes for a nice base to start with. If that doesnt help, just go to hooters and get them 3 mile and naked.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:50
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You really don't need to count calories unless you are in a stall (that is over 4 weeks of no lbs or inches lost).

Other then that ... learn to enjoy food again and trust your body.

The fact is a lot of us lose more with more calories. Eat until satisified - you can always modify later if you have to.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:34

Plan: I do my own thing...LOL
Stats: 220/207/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 43%

Well I don't really know your exact recipe (not sure if you used all of the above or different types) but, Frank's Red Hot is usually I need to satisfy my quest for spiciness. If you add butter to it, it will dilute the sauce and make it less spicy. If Frank's alone isn't spicy enough for you, then I would suggest adding a few drops of Tabasco sauce to the mix (that can usually kick up the spiciness to anything.)

I would also suggest not coating your wings with the sauce until AFTER they are fully cooked. I used to fry mine in the fryer and they came out really good, but now I grill them and I honestly think they taste a whole lot better that way. I havent tried baking them yet.

For those that bake your wings, how is the texture? Can baking them get outside somewhat crispy?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:48

Stats: 300.5/260.0/130.0 Female 5'2"
BF:65%/58%/22%
Progress: 24%

I had the same problem with fitday until a friend said that they were counting the whole wing and I was counting pieces.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 01:08

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%
Lightbulb

roll them in parmesan cheese & pan fry them - then dip them in sauce. they soak up more sauce like that
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/144/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Non-wing HOT wings

I've been on Atkins for a few weeks and this is something I make several times a week, I'm sort of hooked..

Thin sliced chicken breasts (no skin) cooked in iron skillet with butter or olive oil
Sprinkle with black pepper or ground peppercorns, a little chili powder, cayenne pepper
After cooking thoroughly, arrange on a plate, douse with Tabasco (0 carb), Texas Pete (2 carb/2 tblsp) wing sauce, even Hooters Hot wing sauce(0 carb) is good (found in grocery stores). Then spoon on top of that some really chunky bleu cheese dressing like Marie's (0 carb) from the refridge. area of the grocery store. Maybe slice up some celery to swab up the extra hot sauce and dressing. Delicious!
Since there is no skin, it might solve the fat limit problem. I like this method because I never cared much for chicken skin.

I'm new, this is actually my first post.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 01:40

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

MMM... I've had it like that on a salad..yum