Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 115/115/105 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress:
Default anyone else nauseous?

I have been on atkins for 9 days and i am feeling nauseous a lot of the time. I am not overweight i just wanted to lose a few pounds for a wedding i have in sept and try to brake my carb addiction for life. I am not nauseous in my stomach but more in my lower chest and rib cage. Is this normal should i be worried?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:30
Registered Member

Stats: 192/167.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Over the past several decades, whenever I have gone on a "diet", whether it's Atkins or any other one, I experience discomfort in the same area.

I concluded that it's my diaphragm, which is the muscle that squeezes upwards on the lungs to make you breathe. It sits right above the abdomen, below the ribcage, and my guess is that it gets an extra workout when my stomach no longer contains volumes of food!

The discomfort can be described as a tightness or a feeling of nausea and, for me, lasts for the first few weeks of the new eating regiment.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Stats: 250/220.5/130 Female 5'3
BF:Don't Know.
Progress: 25%

I started Atkins on July 8th and I've experienced two or three bouts of nauseous. I'm not sure why but I've been trying to pay attention to what I eat because I think it may be related to a certain food not the diet in general. Maybe you have an unknown food allergy.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:55

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Lots of strange feeling surface when starting Atkins. I on the other hand felt great for the first 3 or 4 months, but for the last 2 I have been very nauseated. I have posted this question a few times on this board and can't seem to find anyone else who has had this as an issue after induction. (My doctor can't figure out whats wrong either ) If it continues past the induction 2 weeks, maybe you just need more carbs to function, which isn't unheard of! The only thing that concerns me, is you say its in you ribcage, which is where your gallbladder is. A few rare people (especailly if You ate very low fat before) sometimes do have some gallbladder issues when switching to high fat (the gallbladder releases bile to counteract the fats ingested, sometimes it can get stones if it hasn't been working due to low fat and when you eat a lot of fat can have some problems.) If you still feel bad in a while go to the doctor and have them check you out!

Hope you feel better soon! Nausea is no fun!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:04
Registered Member

Stats: 269/243/200 Male 6' 00"
BF:39%/32%/25%
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Yes, definately...

Well, for me, it doesn't feel *exactly* like nausea. For me, it feels like a dull stomach/diaphragm spasm.

It only lasts for about 5 seconds at a time, and at it's peak, it feels like nausea. But, I don't ever get to the point of vomiting -- not by far.

It comes and it goes. I mostly notice it when my stomach is empty, so I try to drink a lot of water to counteract it. At first I thought it was related to the low-carb chocolate that I was eating. However, it appears to surface anytime I go back into induction.

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD (acid reflux.)

Hope this helps...

JF3
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:52
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I was quite nauseous on very low levels of carbs (<20/day), but it went away when I upped my carb levels. And still I lost.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:54

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

I was a bit queasy the first few days of induction, but that did not last long. Lately though, I found that when I take too many supplements at once in the morning, either before or after a small breakfast, that I will get a wave of nausea lasting a few minutes. I figured it was all that water I was guzzling, so now I take a few before and a few after I eat. So far, so good.

Hope you're feeling better soon! Insist on some tests if it persists too long.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:18

Stats: 195/150/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I get nauseous after eating or smelling something that was fried. Sometimes at night I get that kind of nauseous feeling but in the morning I feel alright.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:58

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was nauseous during induction and on a daily basis. It is really low level and sometimes it is letting me know I am full or I get it on an empty feeling stomach.
What it all means, I don't know but I figure that with time, it will pass as I head down the road of Atkins Life.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 22:38

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

The only time I was nauseous was when I didn't eat before I took my multi vitamin. Won't make that mistake again.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 09:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One of the first questions is ar eyou eating enough? If your calories have seriously dropped down, the excess acid in your stomach could be contributing to it. Secondly what kind of suppliments are you taking? When I was using my prenatals as a multi vitamin, I had to take them at night to reduce chance of nausia. If you aren't taking suppliments you may find a multi vitamen could even help with nausea and blah feelings. Many also take calcium/magnisium/potassium to help with symptoms such as lower energy, fatigue, light headedness and so on.

And the third question, which usualy gets me hit with a phone book, are you pregnent?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 236/210/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

It could be food intolerances or allergies. I never put much stock in that sort of thing until I discovered it was what was causing many of my ailments. It's taken awhile to learn which foods cause which symptoms, but it's been worth it not to feel so bad. I had to give up some foods completely because I've developed too severe of an allergic reaction to them. There are other foods I can have on a regular basis in small quantities and others that I can only have once every few days. It hasn't been easy to learn to live with, but the alternative for me is severe joint pain, hives, breathing difficulties and a bunch of digestive problems.