Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 17:44

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Insulin resistance/PCOS diet

Has anyone tried the Insulin Resistance or PCOS diet? If so what are the main points of it and what were your results in what time frame?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 17:54

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

Check out the www.soulcysters.com site for more info...alot of people there have found success with this plan. I have read it but, was a bit confused and hated the whole "numbers" thing...but, my doctor is encouraging the the whole low carb way of life for PCOSers...thinks it really helps many symptoms.

Sorry can't help you on these specific plans but, I know they are mentioned on the other site in great detail.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.5/207/167 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

The insulin resistance diet is basically food combining. You are supposed to eat 7 grams of protein for every 15 grams of carbs, not to exceed 30 grams of carbs at each meal.

I tried it last summer, but it was hard to do when all I wanted were cookies and ice cream! Now that I have done 3 weeks of induction and gotten rid of most of the sugar cravings, it probably would be much easier.

I am very insulin resistant and haven't lost a whole lot of weight on Atkins, so I have thought about switching, but I am giving it a little more time.

Hope this helps!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 12:51

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Wrong Forum

I don't think you'll find anyone around here who's tried it. It's a high protein, high carb, low fat method whose gimmick is to balance the protein and the carbs. Extraordinarily dangerous for diabetics, it would seem to me.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...tance-diet.html
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:29

Stats: 218.5/207/167 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'm not sure I would agree with the comment of it not being good for diabetics. My son is a type I diabetic and its stongly recommended to eat protein along with your carb because it slows the absorption of the carb and won't cause such a huge spike in blood sugar.

For type II's it may not be quite as good, but anytime you can limit your carbs to 30gm in one meal, it would be an improvement over what most people eat.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:46

BF:
Default Perhaps

Being better than the SAD is not much of a testimonial. If you can keep your carbs under 30 grams / day and not just 30 grams / meal, even a Type I diabetic can enjoy perfectly normal blood sugars, as Dr. Bernstein, himself a Type I diabetic, has done for over 25 years.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 14:55

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I am doing a combination of the insulin resistance diet along with the schwartzbein principle, and as you can see its worked great for me. Ive reviewed it under the "what plan is right for you" section. I don't do the low fat aspect however and eat NO sugar whatsoever.

It IS a good plan. Max 30 carbs per meal means a person will get between 90 to 150 carbs during the day which is still a vast reduction from 300 which is the average intake for non low carbers.

It has also helped heal my PCOS symptoms.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:46

BF:
Exclamation Are you diabetic?

I don't know what PCOS is, but I do know that 150 grams of carbohydrates per day is TOXIC to diabetics, and will guarantee not only the hastening of beta cell burnout but the promotion and aggravation of diabetic complications. The end stages of diabetes involves problems too hideous for me to even contemplate. It may be a workable way to weight loss, but if blood sugar control is one's primary focus, the "Insulin Resistance" diet merits only the trap door.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:39

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Hi C6

This is the PCOS forum so its relevent to talk about the effect of diet on PCOS rather than diabetes. Women with PCOS usually have insulin resistance so controlling carbs is important. One does not HAVE to have 150 carbs, its just that the maximum amount per meal is 30 carbs so one could have 150 carbs if they ate 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. However, most people on this plan eat 100 carbs or less a day. Plus they eat lots of vegatables and good quality protein. These things WOULD benefit a diabetic, although obviously not as much as they would a women with PCOS.

I have PCOS and eating this way has improved my blood suagrs and PCOS symptoms. Many other women with PCOS have benefited from this plan also.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:11

BF:
Default Yes, it IS the PCOS forum

Scarlet-

I responded to this thread in the Dr. Bernstein Diabetes forum, from which it has been moved. I have pointed this out to the forum moderator and have asked that my posts also be removed. I'm sorry to have taken issue with you so out of context. I didn't realize that I had been diverted to the wrong forum until yesterday. If my posts aren't removed by tomorrow, I will abandon the Active Low Carber Forum altogether, as I will not tolerate such egregious censorship. My apologies to you.

By the way, what is PCOS? What does this acronym stand for?

Jim
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:55

Stats: 124/120/112 Female 61.20 inches
BF:
Progress:

Poly Cystic Ovaries Syndrome.
(Excuse me if I made a spelling mistake).
In other words, ovaries that have LOTS of cysts and do not function properly. Skipped menstrual periods, sometimes excessive hair growth, acne, weight problems, hard time conceiving, etc. are some of the symptoms experienced by women with PCOS. This illness is usually controlled and the symptoms corrected by taking contraceptive pills.
I apologize ahead of time if my explanation is wrong or if I've over generalized. This is my understanding of the disease as it was explained to me by my doctor when I was diagnosed in 1991.
Hope this helps you understand.

Last edited by vv88 : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 14:01.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 21:31

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

well mine did not correct with the use of `the pill` it actually made the sisuation worse,, i ended up having a child through IVF and now finding out i have IR as will as PCOS (I know feel like i am falling apart lol) i have been on atkins for almsot 6 weeks now and have lost 13.2 pounds (6 kilo for aussies,lol)
But now i am confused??? I have been eating 20-25 carb grams a DAY and not per MEAL! hmmm,,, I have had great success with this and am wondering how having 30grams a meal could work? to me that sounds alot,,, it sounds like normal kind of eating to me.
CONFUSED.....
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 21:32

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

by the way i have started a journal if anyone is interested to see my progress