Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What things cause a stall?

Hi all! I really love this forum, it has been a big help and given me lots of good food ideas (DietRite rocks!). Anyway, I've been on Atkins since Late April and lost 23 lbs in abut 7 weeks. Well, I have lost zero pounds since that initial streak almost 6 weeks ago. I am trying to go back to basics and remove everything from my diet that may cause a stall. I have already tried removing aspartame, almonds, and maltitol products. I thought they did it when last week I dropped another 4 lbs in 2 days. I got very excited but alas, the day after that, the 4 pounds were back and haven't budged. I only have 10 more pounds to meet my goal, too!!! I'm even working out harder now and I make sure I drink a gallon of water daily. I thought I would try removing Spleda products and dairy to see what happens, although I have been eating them from the beginning. Any other suggestions? I am still doing induction - I eat about 20 grams of carbs a day in the form of mostly spinach, broccolli, salad, tomatoes, salad dressing, eggs, and maybe some sausage. Other than that, all the meat I eat is carb-free (mostly fish, hamburgers, chicken breast). I make sure I eat enough fat, too (eggs, olive oil, mayo, dressings). I'm getting a little frustrated... At this point I would be losing more on a regualr low-carb low fat diet so I am considering going off Atkins if the stall doesn't end in another week or so...

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:05

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

What things cause a stall?

This is the 64,000lb question! Im not sure any one has a good answer. It has to do with the way your body trys to hold on to its fat. I wish I knew the answer. there are many theories on what causes stalls, but one this is for sure, sooner or later a stall breaks and you'll lose again...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You are extreamly close to goal, so it will take alot longer to lose that last little bit. You may have to start watching your calories to be sure you aren't eating way to many when this close to goal. Are you eating your veggies? It is important to get them in. 4 pounds in a day is most likely water weight. Check your menus for a lot of high sodium items that could be causing you to retain water.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:20

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

You're very close to your goal weight. Perhaps try adding a few carbs - as in OWL? My understanding, and I seem to remember reading this on the Atkins site, is that upping your carbs is the key to ongoing weightloss as you get closer to your goal.

Good luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissame
You're very close to your goal weight. Perhaps try adding a few carbs - as in OWL? My understanding, and I seem to remember reading this on the Atkins site, is that upping your carbs is the key to ongoing weightloss as you get closer to your goal.

Good luck to you!

Maybe I'll try that - upping my carbs slightly with some more veggies. I actually eat a lot of veggies - from 4-6 cups depending on the day. I also think the sodium could be doing it. I have found myself eating a lot more high sodium food recently - bacon, sausage, hot dogs, dressings, pork rhinds, cheese - way more than I ever had and I have high bp so this isn't a good thing... I'll try and cut this down, as well. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted!

Erick
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 05:08

Plan: Atkins/Body for Life
Stats: 269/239/200
BF:34
Progress: 43%

Hi, I am a new memeber to the forum. I have been on Atkins since 3/31 and lost 27 lbs, but I to have been in a "stall" now for going on 4 weeks. I had heard from a couple people at work that if you have a 1 day cheat (basically eat anything you want) this will get you moving again. Is that true, does anyone know? I am will to try it if it does not really mess me up. you can email me also at kipp4Him~yahoo.com. Thanks....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:21

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Being so close to goal, you may also need to watch calories. I've heard it over and over from people that the last 10 lbs. or so is the hardest and almost all of them said they had to watch calories as well as carbs towards the end to get it off.

Congrats on how well you've done! Do you think if you do switch to low fat to lose the last little bit you can keep it off? That would be what I would worry about. No way I can eat low fat for the rest of my life, but I can definately eat low carb forever...lol.

L
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:30

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

Like everyone is mentioning, you are close to goal, which will make it harder. Your body is still adjusting to that massive weight loss in such a small time frame, so my advice to you is, since this is a lifetime WOE, just relax and enjoy yourself, enjoy your sucesses and all the comliments that come your way. IT`s quite an accomplishment, enjoy!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/155 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

As a former bodybuilder, I can tell you that stalls are common. The only definitive answer to stalls is to do something different. Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Take his advice. Try something different, do that binge day (note: binge doesn't mean eat 4000 calories worth of glazed donuts).

Stalls mean your body has settled into complacency. How do you get out of it? Not sure. But there is one surefire way to never get out of a stall: keep doing the exact same thing. Be a scientist. Use your body as the laboratory. You are your own best nutritionist and trainer.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:39

thanks for the advise. It will help and I will take it. I am also working out, weights T-TH and cardio MTWRF. I am thinking that the weights may has something to do with it, but I think I will try the binge for either a meal or a day and see how that goes.... Also, I am not actually close to goal, my goal is still 40-50lbs away.... but I am not going to lose focus, I have come this far which is better than what I did when doing BFL. thanks again....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 06:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

1. Go over the tips and stalls section of the forum and read the sticky.

2. The last ten pounds seem to take forever, take it from me.

3. Calories DO count when you get down there.

4. Watch out for nuts, bars, shakes, and just watch your body really really closely to learn how it reacts to different foods. (salty meats make me retain LOTS of water)

5. Stalls are a natural body function to adjust. It cultivates in us the quality of patience. Or...we blow it. Be strong.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 07:12

thanks alot wordlady.... i appreciate the tips.
i went back and look at some of your other posts, found one where you said you binged once and gained 4 lbs. did it help though, i mean did you end up losing more?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:08

Stats: 220/160/160 Female 5'8"
BF:24.3
Progress: 100%

Hello there..I just want to mention that I think you should up your carbs a little. I was at a standstill and couldn't lose anymore. I was the same weight +1 and then -1lb. Then I was tired of eating the same thing over and over and added in a few fruits and a little bit of sugar. Also I started drinking more water. I have now gone down almost 10 lbs since then. I look at the scale and it is so close to 180 lbs I am estatic. The lowest I remember being was 175 before I went on birth control. Also I have noticed that although the lbs didn't go away my waist went down. I am now down to a loose 14. I was at a 18-20. It feels great. I have a pair of pants I used to wear to work and now today I put them on and had to take them off because I was swimming in them. I have been doing the Atkins for about 3 months now and it just takes time to figure out what works for you. My two rolls I used to have on my stomach are now down to almost 1. I also can actually start to see a normal shape. I lay down and don't see rolls anymore. Just keep up the good work. I know it is discouraging to be at a standstill, but they will start going away again. Try and up your carbs just a little. See what happens, but remember drink plenty of water. I had 3 strawberry marguaritas last tuesday and I was afraid I would gain a bunch of water weight. To my suprise I lost 2 lbs within two days. I think my body just needed those extra carbs. Good luck, keep us posted. Just try for a few more carbs and see what happens.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlady
1. Go over the tips and stalls section of the forum and read the sticky.

2. The last ten pounds seem to take forever, take it from me.

3. Calories DO count when you get down there.

4. Watch out for nuts, bars, shakes, and just watch your body really really closely to learn how it reacts to different foods. (salty meats make me retain LOTS of water)

5. Stalls are a natural body function to adjust. It cultivates in us the quality of patience. Or...we blow it. Be strong.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support! I'll cut out the salty food starting today for sure. I have also been watching the calories from the start and am about as low as I can go when I workout...

I actually tried a carbfest meal two weeks ago and that didn't budge me at all...

I'll also cut out the Diet Rite and lower my Splenda to 2 packs a day like Atkins says.

I hope this gets me though it!
Thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:13

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

From reading this forum I can tell you that an easier question would be..."Which things can cause cancer?" Because both can be blamed on darn near anything, but just not in every person. It's pretty much a personal thing as to what causes a stall.

Congrats on being this close to goal. You've done great!!

~Angi~