Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fasting on Atkins

I am thinking of doing a week of Juice/water Fast, for detoxification. I dont know how that is going to effect my Atkins diet. Im planning on only having fresh juice and from vegetables that I can have on Atkins.
If anyone has any info, I would appreciate it very much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:44

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly

One of the reasons I decided to lowcarb is because of severe blood sugar swings from normal to low, low, low. A juice fast for a week would kill me, and don't want that when I'm feeling so normal. Do you have a health care provider that you could ask, someone who knows you, might be good to get yourself checked out before starting anything so strenuous.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:46

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I personally think: Bad idea. Strict induction is all that is needed for detox. Also, I think you would lose a lot of weight quickly, and then gain that, plus some more when you go back to Atkins. Not to mention that it just isn't nutritionally sound to fast like that for a week. I would imagine that it could only have negative effects on the body.

My grandma used to do a 1 day fast every week. Suprisingly, that worked quite well for her in terms of weight loss and overall health (she was under a doctor's care, however).

Sorry I don't have anything scientific to offer you. Hopefully someone else can help.

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:49

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/105 Female 60 inches
BF:40%/25%/18%
Progress: 78%

Yes, I think it's a terrible idea if you're on Atkins. You don't want to start the insulin problem up again.

On a lighter note, I LLLLOOOOVE (love) your avatar! It is so adorable!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:50
Registered Member

BF:

I heard that the body only goes into detoxification after 48 hours so a one day fast wont work, maybe I can shorten it in half so its not so long. And I dont want to gain back and then some.

Thanks for your input,
I guess I need to think about it some more
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

So bad idea all the way around huh.

Thanks lonely Im not quite sure if its a bear or what?, but its cute lol
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On Atkins you really should eat every 5-6 hours. If not hungry then a small controlled carb snack. There are some people who do choose to do 1 day fasts, mostly for spiritual reasons. If you choose to do that I wouldn't recomend going over 1 day. Also NO JUICE. Juice is the fastest way for the gluclose to enter your system and your insulin will shoot up. Instead of doing a detox you may actuly do more harm. Juice is one of the very last things that are added back in on OWL or premaintanance.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:19

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I fast.Water fasts though. I heard the same thing about the 48 hours. I do either a 2 or 3 day fast on a regular basis. Atkins does not clean all of the toxins out if you are not eating hormone or steroid free meat. I do this fast to clean all of that crap out because we eat so much meat with this woe. I never gain the weight back nor does my insulin fluctuate. I have never gone a week though.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hippygal,
at first I wanted to go on a water fast but I dont think I can go 7 days on water so I thaught maybe some juice.

Is it hard?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Heck...a ONE DAY water fast would be HARD! OUCH!!!!!!!
Good luck whatever the decision!
Best wishes;
Jake
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:43

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have many friends who occassionally fast, but none of them go over 5 days (and this includes juice) so i would say if you were doing a water fast, 3 days would be the very maximum! Why would you want to fast for 7 days? I think you might end up doing yourself more harm than good...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

I heard that fasting has alot of health benefits, I just did not know how well it would work with this woe or even if it would work at all. I also heard that fasting brings on ketosis is that true?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 16:21

Stats: 159/142/128 Female 5'4.5
BF:have no clue
Progress: 55%

Hippy -
Can u really go 2 -3 days on just water? I can barely go 2-3 HRS with just water. Are you able to exercise on those days? Very curious about this fasting thing....
Thanks!
Saturn
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/225/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 14%

A few years ago (1998) I went on a water only fast...for 28 days! Yes, it is possible, and it's not as hard as you think. After the first 4 days, your hunger is gone, just like Atkins. I lost 30 lbs in that 28 days. And kept it off, too.

I read a dozen books on fasting before I dared do it. My boyfriend had fasted several times before but this was my first. There were some health problems that completely disappeared!! I felt great during the fast.

Do you know what an animal who gets injured in the wild does? It finds a comfortable spot, stops eating, and allows its body to heal the injury. Lots of people think it's dangerous. Not really. Water is what we need to survive.

Thought you might be interested/

Barb
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 08:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you bbanne46
I appreciate all the info and opinions that everyone gave. Its good to know that theres a place you can turn to for help