Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 21:39

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 208/188/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Any Diabetics out there??

My husband is a Type 2 Diabetic. He needs to lose weight, but doesn't really want to change his eating habits. I might be able to get him to do it, if there are others out there that are having success with LCing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 22:41

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Any diabetics out there

Oh, yes. You have come to the right place. There are so many of us here, and also over on the Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution forums, that have been improved so radically on a lowcarb diet. I hope the many many success stories will inspire him. Many of us type 2's are no longer even using medication. What does he not want to change about his diet?If the results (feeling great, having energy, having NORMAL bloodsugars )still do not seem worth it, there are also great lowcarb recipes here that might ease the change. Bill
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 23:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I was diagnosed Type II in April with multiple 300+ Blood Glucose readings. I began Atkins in May and, in July (after a 36 lb. loss) my doc said "diabetes no longer appears to be an issue with you." That's my success story...but it is my motivation that is carrying me. Motivation cannot be externally supplied.

I have a good friend who urgently needs to lose 100+ lbs. for his health. He understands and appreciates the effectiveness of the Atkins program, but thinks that taking a pass on bread, pizza and mashed potatoes would make his life not worth living. No appeal by his wife, his children or his friends is going to change his mind. Sad but true.

The truth is that there are a lot of reasons that persuade people to change their eating habits, but the only one that can actually produce healthy, long-term change in a person is a genuine desire to do this for yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:23

BF:

Thank you both for your replys. I read them to him.....and at least he is now thinking about it. I'm sure he wants to talk to his Dr. first....but at least its a start.

Good luck and Good Health.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You might also want to mention to him that the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (the folks who specialize in treating diabetes and other hormonal disorders) are now recommending low carb as the best diet for diabetics.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:11

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default clinical endocrinologists

Wow, Lisa, that is news to me - has there been something I've missed on these threads? Sounds like encouraging news, to me. bill
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/176/135 Female 5'4
BF:31
Progress: 35%

Hello I was diagnosed with type II in Nov. 2002 I went on Atkins in January and not only did I lose weight but was able to keep my sugar levels well with in range, I did fall off the wagon and had to go on meds to help control it But I am staring back ion indution and know I will be able to get it all back under control and lose the meds. Good luck to him and Please keep us posted.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:43

BF:

Thats wonderful Kathy. I know you can do it!!! Just stick with it. Although I have encouraged him, he as opted for a more conventional diet. 1800 calories a day. Oh well....As I am taking off the weight, maybe he'll come around and give it a try. Can't tear him away from his sugar free cookies.

Keep it up. Later.