Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default HELP: Gallstones ?

I am having pain in my upper right abdomen. It is located approximately 2 inches below my right breast, right under the third and fourth ribs from the bottom of my ribcage. The pain comes and goes. It was bad enough that I had to stop every few minutes and 'breathe', the pain made me sweaty, etc. It also sent pain up past my collarbone and down my right arm. I also had pretty severe pain in my right shoulder.Yesterday the 'spasms' came about every 20 minutes and lasted for 3-4. This happened Tuesday & Wednsday. I wasn't able to see a DR yesterday as we were on the island. I haven't had any nausea or vomiting, fever, etc.

It seems like the right location for gallbladder. My period is several days late now, but if it was an ectopic preg., the pain would be in my lower abdomen, not right under my ribs. Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

That is definitely the gallbladder area. When mine was diseased I would get tons of pain right where you are describing. Hope the doc can see you soon and make you well.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 22:38

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Unhappy Gall Bladder

We were out of town when this happened. It was at its worse about 1 1/2 hours before we had to catch the ferry home. I went to a walk-in clinic but ended up having to leave before I could see the DR as we only had 15 minutes to catch the boat. By the time we got home 2 hrs later, the pain subsided. It is now 4 days later. I still have the pain occasionally, but nowhere near as intense as before. I see the DR tomorrow for something unrelated but will ask him then.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 19:28

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Have you considered a natural remedy? Here is a site that recommends a gallbladder flush. I myself would rather see if I can fix the problem naturally, and avoid surgery. I am definitely NOT a doctor or health professional, I'm just suggesting there might be a NON-surgery way of helping your body rid it of gallstones. Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Thumbs up Hi.

I have done a flush (lemon juice and olive oil) very similar to the one suggested by Victoria for one week at a time. Twice daily on an empty stomach I mixed the juice of half a lemon with 3 tbsp olive oil and drank it. Then laid on my right side for half an hour. I try to do it every six months. One time I was in a lot of pain and did the cleanse ... after just once dose, I passed three huge stones.

Best of luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 16:50
Registered Member

Stats: 288/280/188 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up Gallstone flush

Hi there,

Yes the gallstone cleanse works wonders. I have no insurance and have managed to keep from having my gallbladder removed for six years now.

There are several different kinds of cleanses. It can be somewhat unpleasant, but certainly better than having it removed. Not just due to the financial aspect but because your gallbladder does have a purpose. Most Doctors will tell you that you do not need it, but what they should say, is that you can live without it. I have spoken to many people who have had theirs removed & now have more problems than before. Also they should tell you that you can STILL get gallstones after removal. They are in the liver. I know of two people that did the cleanse after removal of the gallbladder (because their spouse needed it, & they wanted to show support by doing it with them) & they also passed stones. There are times when it needs to be done, (disease, stones badly lodged etc.) but usually you can clean it out of stones, then change the diet (Woops! Eating plan), add some fiber, (which Atkin's does), & then never have problems again.

I do the cleanses about once a year just for maintenance, but have not really had any problems for six years now. I was concerned about starting Atkin's since there is a lot of fat, but have since read that it is a good thing since it stimulates the gallbladder to release the bile more often which eliminates a build up. Also Dr. Atkin's advocates lots of fiber (if you are doing it right). I have been on Atkin's since June 14th & feel great, & lost weight!

Good luck to everyone trying to do the right thing.

Bratina