Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 22:46

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Turnips

Can someone tell me what turnips taste like if they are simliar to something else? Someone told me that raw they taste like cooked potato.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Turnips are delicious cooked and mashed with salt pepper and butter, They have a unique taste, I don't know what I would compare them with. They are fiberous and take a while to cook. Steam them or boil them like you would a potato. When they are raw I don't think they taste anything like a potato. But maybe they do to others. just MHO.

Last edited by osuzana : Sat, May-10-03 at 09:49.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 11:33

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Turnips can be used to make fench fries. Just peel the turnip and cut it up like fries and fry them in the same way. They look good but are a bit softer. The taste is a little different from potato but not unpleasant. Turnip is quite cheap so it is worth experimenting.
Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 11:47

I'll check out the supermarket today and see if they sell them. I will try to boil some and fry some and see what the outcome is like.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 14:25

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Someone told me that raw they taste like cooked potato

I don't think I would ever try them raw, but if I did, I doubt they would taste like cooked potato. I've used them with roasts and in stews. Not exactly like a potato, but, better than nothing.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:35

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%

To me raw ones taste rather like radushes without the bite. Cooked, they taste like, well.........turnips. You'll just have to give them a try. If you find their flavor is too strong, Julia Child, in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" says to blanch them in boiling, lightly salted water for 3 to 5 minutes. Then place in a pan with butter and chicken stock to barely cover; braise for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender but still hold their shape. If there is any liquid left, raise the heat and cook it off.
To serve add a little butter, parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.
They're also good braised in the juice along side a pork roast. MMM.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 21:31

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 198/189/149
BF:
Progress: 18%

You can also bake 'em in the oven. I slice them and put on a pan sprayed with a health food store non-stick spray. Sprinkle with a little chili powder, as in an Adkins recipe, and I also toss on some parsely and a tiny bit of powdered garlic. I think they taste great when you have that french fry feeling... better actually then potatoes because they have more flavor. Keto ketchup makes it perfect.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 22:12
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

They're also wonderful oven-roasted -- cut them into wedges, toss them in olive oil, salt, and the spices of your choice, and bake at 350 to 400 for 20 - 40 minutes or so. (Timing depends on the oven heat, how many you're roasting, and how old they are, so check them and turn them every so often. They're done when they're very tender, and browning nicely on the edges.)

Another great way to cook them is to put them around a vertically roasting chicken -- they braise in the juices very nicely.

--Ruth
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 21:23

Still didn't get to the market, but am keeping all of this in mind to try hopefully next weekend!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 02:59

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I usually boil and whip like I would potatoes (add butter and a touch of cream). They are really yummy. Actually taste sweet.

Make sure you buy turnips and NOT rutabagas. Some people call rutabagas turnips, but the carb count is WAY different (ruts. are something like 3 X the carbs!). The smaller, white and purple ones are the turnips.

The fries are pretty good, but kind of soft. But they do the trick. I also read here somewhere not to try deep frying turnip like you would potato fries--it does not turn out well.

Good luck,

N.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 06:45
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Nikkil

That's what I was going to say too. Some stores will call rutabaga's "turnips' and unless you know the difference it can be confusing. We always called rutabaga's turnips when I was growing up and when I was given real turnips at someone elses house it was quite a shock to my tastebuds (nowhere to spit)
Rutabagas are sometimes called Swedes too. But turnips are little puny things and rutabagas are usually at least a pound and up to 3 or 4 pounds.

Can you tell I don't like turnips but like they say they are lower in carbs - but I still like rutabagas better
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 224/209/175
BF:38/36/28
Progress: 31%
Default Turnips

Hello This is my 2 cents on turnips-
When you go to buy them look for the one's that are of medium size and very white with purple tops in color. Large size will be tuff and piffy. very small one's there won't be much left after peeling them.
My folk's were from the deep south and cooked these many times during the week. Each and every week. They raised 5 of us kids and were excellent farmer's. Not that us kids were planted in the ground he he. But I offen use to think some of my sisters and brothers were dumber than dirt. Any way peel and slice about 8 or 10 of them 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick enough for a 2 quart pan. Cover with water and add 1 1/2 table spoons of bacon drippings. Cover with lid and boil till fork tender.
Salt and pepper to taste add some butter or sour cream if you like. The house may smell like cooked cabbage you may want to burn a candle. To me the smell takes me back to a time when life was so much more simpler. Sure wish I could have them times back.

PS. I'm looking for a Way-Back Machine Upgrade anyone see's one please send to me. thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/168/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up Creamed Turnips

Follows is one of my favorite recipes

Creamed Turnips

1-1/2 lbs. turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Packet Sugar Substitute (Splenda)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1. Place turnips in a large skillet. Add 1/3 cup of water and butter. Sprinkle turnips with sugar substitute and salt. Cover skillet and cook turnips over medium heat 15 minutes, until tender

2. Uncover skillet and continue cooking until all the water is evaporated. Stir in cream; cook until cream thickens slightly and turnips are evenly coated, about 3 minutes. Add pepper before serving

4 servings Net Carbs 5 grams
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

If you're going to make turnip 'fries', cut into 'fries', toss with olive oil and a touch of salt, then add some keto crumbs and mix well. Bake until softened in the middle. They will go crispy too!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 00:58

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Default ggrumpy--scalloped 'potatoes'

Hey, ggrumpy, your recipe looks like it could be adapted a little and could be turned into au gratin potatoes or scalloped potatoes (using turnip, of course, in place of potatoes).

Wow, thanks for giving me the idea---I've missed my au gratin potatoes more than any other side dish (aka-potatoes, pasta, rice)

Nicole