Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 03:41

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Your advice and experience please?

Hi all, I have been doing Atkins for 10 weeks now and have lost 23 pounds. I am Type 2 diabetic and have managed to control my blood sugar levels very well on this plan.

Out of curiosity I have read through CAD. It seems interesting and a little more flexible than Atkins in some ways. I have been contemplating giving it a try, however the actual plan, as in dos and don'ts does seem a little more complex, for example, weighing of protein, no snacks (even low carb) between meals, getting the balance of the RM correct.

I am asking for your advise on whether you have been successful in terms of weight loss, and maintaining this WOE. Anyone here switch from Atkins. I have concerns about my diabetes if i start eating carbs again. I also worry i will start craving again. Has this been your experience? Is weight loss as good as on Atkins? I am missing rice and fruit and see this as a good way to have this again, but do have some fears.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Last edited by Luscious : Sat, Feb-14-04 at 03:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 04:09

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Just want to say "welcome", Luscious, and hope that CAD will be what you need. Some people here do very well with whatever they like to eat at rm, and some do better by picking and choosing the kinds of carbs they eat. You will probably find as you go along, just what will work for you. If you keep your cms very simple, and your rms very balanced--you will most likely do well..
Hope that you will love your new woe!
***Also meant to say that there are several people here who have switched from Atkins. Maybe some of them will have some advice for you on it. About the weighing of the protein--I don't, and can't think of anyone who does--although maybe some do. Zuleika advised me a long time ago to just shoot for about 12 oz. protein per day--so that's what I do. I just estimate though, and I'm not always good about getting that much.

Last edited by Tess M : Sat, Feb-14-04 at 04:14.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 09:14

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't weigh my protein either. I usually have eggs for brekkie (or a casserole dish I whip up - easiest recipe ever) and then a reasonable serving of meat for lunch. A chicken breast or a cheesburger. Honestly when I was doing well on the diet in the past I would have two cheeseburgers for lunch (which was 6 oz. of protein). For successful Cadder's, check out these journals...

Vel - who has lost over 100 pounds on CAD alone

Divina - who switched to CAD and is now 7 pounds from goal

There are other gals who have reached goals, but I can't think of their names off the top of my head. If you read CAD journals you will find that the lack of cravings is the biggest relief for most of them. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 00:09

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

It sounds like you're doing well on Atkins, but if it doesn't feel right the long term committment can be difficult.

CAD is really very simple, but yes, a bit more limitations in some ways than Atkins. You can have 2 CM's 1 RM and 1 snack (if it's needeD) Some people need the snack in the beginning but it is quickly unnecessary as CAD really curbs the appetite along with the cravings.

I've been on CAD a little over a year and have lost 34 pounds. I lose very slowly, but I eat pretty much what I want. I could probably do better if I pulled in the reins a bit, but I like the feeling of being completely satisfied so I'm fine with a bit slower loss. The main thing on CAD that is important to me is that once the weight is lost I do not gain it back. Once gone....it's gone for good.

I really think that the balance is important, but not as important as simple CM's and adhering to the 1 hour RM. Sticking to the hour is essential.

Hope you decide to give it a try. Check out some journals as suggested. They're a really helpful tool.

Good luck,
Deb
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 00:33

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

I'm an Atkins refugee. I'm a hypoglycemic, and I'm getting good result with CALP and my blood sugar. I don't weigh proteins, and I eat more protein than "recommended" on CAD, but I'm losing slow but sure. I do watch my RMs -- try to keep them balanced, and have refined sugar about twice a week; usually have fruit instead. For people with "insulin issues," CAD/CALP is not a free-for-all. After your body adapts to CAD/CALP, perhaps you'll be able to eat sweets once in a while, and maybe even reduce your meds.

I love CALP because I've been able to lose weight, get my sugar under better control, and rid myself of cravings. If you get cravings after the first 2 weeks, examine your foods more closely -- there's probably hidden sugar.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:51
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I'm with Deb. It may be slow, but it's steady. What I like about CAD/CALP is that it's easy. No counting or measuring. Just have your CMs, and a balanced RM in 1 hour. This is really a WOL.
Good luck!