Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 17:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Cleaning my closet

In a little over a year I've gone from a size 28 or 30 in pants and skirts to a size 20 or 22, and from a 4X in shirts and sweaters to a 1X or XL, and my closet is full of clothes that are too big on me. I think I have reached the point where it is time to get rid of them. I started this afternoon -- pulling clothes out of the closet and piling them up in a huge pile on the floor of my bedroom. The next step is moving them out of the house and that feels scary. However, my husband is pushing me to do it and I know he is right. My house was built in the mid-1960s and it simply doesn't have the closet space to store lots of clothes that don't fit. Anyway, I never intend to be a size 28 or 30 again. Now that I have learned why I gained the weight, I will keep it off. Still, I'm hesitating about getting rid of the clothes.

How have other people in the TDC dealt with their clothes that are now too big? Are you hanging on to them or have you gotten rid of them? If you have gotten rid of them, what did you do with them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 18:05

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I couldnt wait to get rid of my oversized clothes, I had lost some weight before I started atkins and since I have I've dropped another dress size.

I sorted mine in to different piles

1) old ones that needed to be thrown away
2) old but wearable ones for the charity shop
3) ones in new or nearly new condition to be sold on ebay
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 06:31

Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

Liz,
I just cleaned out my closet a few months ago! I gave them to the Goodwill (30 bags & wanted them OUT of the house). IT WAS EXHILERATING! I would say to you "Go for It". My only problem now, is that I don't have a lot of clothes in my current size. I went and bought 3 new pairs of pants and shirts to get me through to the next size. My closet looks so bare....but wonderful. It also feels good to know that I may have helped someone get some good large size clothes (which are very expensive) for an inexpensive price. Let me know how you make out with it.

Last edited by alighterme : Sun, Sep-14-03 at 06:32.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 08:27

Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

There is a Low Carb Trading post on this site where you can do a clothes exchange. Be sure to read the rules but basically it's a place to swap things.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 09:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Hi Liz,

I've sorted out a lot of stuff, too. I've thrown away some and given many bags worth to the Kidney Foundation. Last year I put my like-new size 24 jeans in a big box, labeled them and put them in the attic. Since then I've gotten two more boxes full of 22's and 20's ready to go up, and a box of better tops. I think it's because the jeans were $30-40 a crack I hate to give them up just yet. I don't intend to ever be that size again, either, but I remember saying that once before. I don't think it's being defeatist to recognize I'm human and far from perfect. I also don't think keeping some large clothes will in any way cause me to gain weight again. I can always give them away in the future. I have a good suit hanging in the closet that I might be able to have altered, but I'm not sure at what point to do that.