Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/237/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Headaches?

I have awakened in the morning with a slight headache a few times.. Does anyone experience that? I actually have wondered if it was withdrawal from caffeine. I only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning now instead of 3-4.. and I only drink 1-2 Diet Rite instead of at least 3-4 Diet Cokes a day... and there is no caffeine in Diet Rite..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:23

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default headaches...

I'm not so sure about the caffene in Diet Rite. But I do know the first few days or sometimes more of induction people experience headaches. It's one of those things your body does from carb withdrawl. It's part of your body getting used to your new program. The best way to combate it is DRINK DRINK DRINK water that is. The more water you drink that faster you flush those nasty carbs (and the headaches) out of your ssytem. Worked for me and others I've read about on this forum.

Just my 2 cents.... Take care & good luck!

Jessie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 22:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

I had a headache when I started, it went away after a couple of days, and I find that I do not have it even if I drink a diet pepsi one day, and not the next.

I also think that it has something to do with flushing the extra insulin out of your body, and marks the beginning of Ketosis in your system.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 07:15
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

When I first started Induction, I had a HUGE headache for 4 days straight before it finally went away! I was a big diet pepsi drinker (at least 5 a day) before I started Atkins, so I know it was probably a combination of caffeine and carb withdrawal. Your headaches should subside soon.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Probably, but...

Cincybev,

Did the headaches start at about the same time you made the changes? If so, then it is probably withdrawal from the caffeine and aspartame. But, if you cut down when you started in mid-May, they should have subsided by now.

Headaches upon wakening is a classic symptom of sleep apnea. You might want to get checked out if the headaches continue.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 13:05

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I had headaches all through induction. I had gone from 2 pots of coffee a day to none. Killed me. I added in a mug of coffee a day and headaches went away immediately. There are quite a few threads and polls on caffeine and it effect on losses. It hasn't seemed to hinder my losses thus far. Good luck to you!