Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm really responding to something on another thread "evangilism" that talked about someone on "Atkins" that was not following the induction restrictions.

Someone at work is doing Atkins per her rules.She brought in 2 hardboiled eggs and an ounce of cheese. Says she skips breakfast and has just meat at dinner. She has only a small amount to lose and is much younger. Still she tells stories of "falling off " way too often and plans to diet only til she gets the results then business as usual.

I brought in a salad, piece of chicken and cheese that day. WHen I went to put salad dressing on my saladI got the lovely retort"Are you going to eat all that?" Still I think I'm following the woe more closely. I'm not losing fast but I feel like it should show results over time. I hope Im doing the right thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:53

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

You are doing Atkins, & doing it right from the sounds. What she is doing is NOT Atkins, not even close. It's people like her who give Atkins a bad name. She clearly has no understanding of the plan, & if people think that's what Atkins is then of course they'll say it's not healthy- because what she's doing is not healthy. In the end you'll lose the weight & be able to keep it off, while she may lose it she'll quickly gain it back & probably more. Stick with what you're doing be patient, & ignore her. If anyone questions you explain how Atkins really works. If you like the co-worker, then suggest she read the book & learn the real Atkins program. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree with Amy, sound like you are the only one following the Atkins eating plan. Keep up the good work!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 14:08
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

The bad thing about this is when it fails to work she will blame Atkins and not the fact that she failed to actually follow Atkins. Good thing you will be there bev, to illustrate the results when you adhere to the rules.

Peace
red
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 14:54

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

I agree with everyone else. The wonderful thing about Atkins is that we are able to eat healthy portions of foods we could not have on low fat plans. I NEVER have counted calories or portions and have lost over 20lbs. Those people who restrict too low only hurt themselves in the long run. I know I was nororious in the past for starvation diets! I ended up with irritable bowel and gall bladder problems because of this! So you just continue doing what you know is right. Don't let others remarks hinder your progress. You can succeed at this. I think that those who have not studied or read Atkins philosophy seem to think this is purely a meat,egg,cheese diet. Not realizing that Atkins encourages us to eat our veggies and take our supplements. I get irritated with people who always tell me I'm doing damage to myself when I know I feel better and look better than I have in 3 years! You're doing fine do not be discouraged by other people.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 19:12

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I think you might have been talking about my post, bevbme, in the evangilism thread, and I agree with you also. You are doing Atkins and your co-worker is not.

That is exactly the same situation I was talking about in that thread....this person claims she is on the Induction phase of Atkins, but skips breakfast, eats Atkins bars 2X a day, says she is staying away from "fatty" meats and dressings, and no eggs, etc. but just having skinless chicken, turkey or fish.

All this and also eating LC bread, nuts and other items that are suited to maintenance, not induction!

She also gives me a hard time about the dressing I use (90 cal from fat, 1 carb, 0 sugar). And asks if I'm really going to eat that ground beef patty, don't I know that's bad for me?

It can be frustrating but it looks like you and I are in similar circumstances, and that is comforting. Also we will be able to show how great Atkins works when you actually follow the plan!

Good luck to you and keep on doing what your doing!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I agree too!

She is not doing Atkins at all. Even if she only had 10 lbs to lose she needs to eat breakfast and she needs 20 grams of carbs on induction. Make her count the carbs she is consuming and ask her why she isn't getting her 20 grams. This diet is a health promotion not a fad. It is also not temporary. I would make her explain to me how does she intend to do the four steps. I bet she has no clue about the four steps. Ga head ga head, ask her. The scary thing is that this diet is proving to be so popular that people will do it their own dang way and something is going to go wrong.

Black
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

I had an entire office of under- the-breath comments about my food....So I copied off 30 of my Adkins books. Told them if they wanted to have an opinion....fine...read the book then give my copies of thier proof. ALL HAS BEEN VERY VERY QUIET!

Good Health and Many Blessings,
Froggirl
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:54

Stats: 290/237/145
BF:
Progress: 37%
Cool Great Job

You stick in there, because everything you are doing is the right way. The people that think they can do this for a short period of time to take off weight are not going to make it.....We know that this is a new way of life for us and we know how to succeed!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

No matter how hard ya try, it's next to impossible to get a person in a "dieter's mindset" to adopt a new healthy way of eating, no matter what the plan is. In fact, there is a mass industry feeding off of these people, selling "Hollywood Diets" and "Lose 15 pounds by summer" fads. And truly any way of eating can be an unhealthy ritual if it is only done to lose 10 pounds before you're back to your same old tricks. Yet people continue to experiment with their metabolisms for quick fixes, expecting permanancy. It's lunacy!

Anyway, as any old pro dieter knows, the reason these fads are fads is because most diets are impossible to stick with in the long run. Low calories and low fat leave people unsatisfied and weak. The wonderful thing about low carbohydrate eating is that the draw toward 'forbidden foods' is not usually physical, (as in, my body is deprived of sustinance) but mental addictions therefore making it easier to stick to in the long run if you have good resolve.

I think in terms of diets, Atkins is the easiest to stick to in the long run, but you must first get out of a dieter's mindset to allow yourself to stick to it, make choices, and realize that you have to make a permanent change to not get back to the same size, weight, level of health you were before. Once you get into a lifestyle mindset, it's not as hard to give up pasta, bread, and rice, because you have adopted new cooking techniques, food choices, and even tastes that will aid in your new way of eating.

Okay, I'm rambling. It would be nice if professional dieters would give Atkins a chance as a permanent way of eating... but they really have to convince themselves.

Last edited by Skamito : Sun, Apr-20-03 at 21:58.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 08:00

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

Happens all the time - I was talking to a bunch of ladies at CURVES on Friday; some claiming they are on Atkins. Further in our conversation we discussed what we ate - - turns out most (3 out of the 4 ladies) were not doing Atkins properly. And what's odd is that all claimed to have "read the book". Only one lady was doing Induction properly. Ironically, two of the ones that aren't following Atkins to a T had lost weight so for them its working....

I guess to each his own - - if it works than what can you say???
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:48

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Exclamation it might be healthy for them but

if they are not doing Atkins properly, it could be hazardous for their health. Dr. Atkins says (in either Diet Rev or Atkins for Life) don't try to attempt a low fat version of Atkins, it simply won't work and can be harmful.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:54

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I have been doing Atkins for one week and have never been enjoying myself anymore. If I was doing what she is doing, I would go crazy and get bored with the diet very quickly!

It sounds about like a guy I work with. He was telling me about Atkins before I started. Luckily, I had already read the book. He said the one week, you have to follow the plan very closely. Then the next week, you can eat snack cakes and anything you want. And, you keep alternating it every week. Where in the world did he get a hairbrained idea like that?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:37
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

That's part of the reason Atkin's gets such bad press...because "so-called Atkins Followers" aren't doing Atkins but their own messed up version.

Peace
red
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
It sounds about like a guy I work with. He was telling me about Atkins before I started. Luckily, I had already read the book. He said the one week, you have to follow the plan very closely. Then the next week, you can eat snack cakes and anything you want. And, you keep alternating it every week. Where in the world did he get a hairbrained idea like that?

Sounds to me like he's confusing Atkins with some of the body-building plans that allow 1 "carb up" day per week followed by 5 days of strenuous weight resistance training combined with very low carb and not getting either one of them right. Just goes to show you...a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. All his plan will get him is more pounds and really messed up bloodwork.