Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 174/151/140 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:35%/31%/20%
Progress: 68%
Unhappy Help...Please tell me to persevere!!

HELP!!

I started the Atkins Induction plan on Friday, May 16th at which point I weighed 174 pounds. I have been absolutely religious about following the "Rules of Induction": I have not deviated from the plan in even the slightest.

My weight loss started out great, but for the last 9 days I have been STUCK.

My weight loss went as follows:

May 16 174
May 17 172
May 18 171
May 19 170
May 20 169
May 21 167
May 22 166
May 23 166
May 24 166
May 25 165.2
May 26 165.6
May 27 165.4
May 28 166
May 29 164.4
May 30 165
May 31 165........

From May 22 through today (9 entire days!) I only dropped one lousy pound!!!!

The only thing that I can possibly imagine is that my dreaded "time of the month" is affecting my weight loss efforts. (I start TOM tomorrow or next day).

Does anyone have any insight into how body reacts to TOM while on Induction. Did any of you stall like this also?

Any support or encouragement would be !!

Thanks a million.

April in Maryland
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Angry HELP....I'M STUCK

The last line of my previous message should read,

"Any support or encouragement would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!"

I just had to add that, because the GREATLY APPRECIATED part is the most important part of the message.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:14
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

April,

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but your weight loss isn't going to go in a nice, straight line, and losing a pound in nine days isn't really a "stall." You've been very successful, and seen a nice 9 lb drop in a little over two weeks. It's actually quite normal for your body to be taking a little break now. And yes, TOM will affect your weight loss. Most women gain around TOM, even when they're following the diet correctly. Just one of those unfortunate facts of nature.

So relax and keep doing what you've been doing. When TOM leaves your weight loss will probably resume, but don't expect it to continue at the rate you saw in your first few days. That just doesn't happen for most people, especially when they don't have a great deal to lose. A pound or two a week, or even less, is more normal.

Best of luck to you,

--Ruth

PS -- I don't mean to sound discouraging. You're doing great. It's just best not to expect too much because you can get discouraged when you're actually doing very well.

Last edited by RGale : Sat, May-31-03 at 22:16.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:52
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello there

Not to worry TOM can cause water weight and many people will see a woosh...a quick loss of a couple pounds seemingly overnight afterwards.

Also I have noticed that there are weights my body "likes" and it takes longer to get past those while other times the weight will fly off.

Wow you have really done great too so far and just keep up the hard work and I am sure the weight will start falling off again

Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey, 9 pounds in 2 weeks is great, it's nine pounds less to deal with
And this is not going to be a even keil, you will have weeks that you won't lose, it's jsut the way it works

Remember, it did'nt go on even each and every week, right?

So, in saying that, yes the old T.O.M think will throw you off.
But stick to the program.
And remember weight that is lost at a slower pace, will stay off easier ( unless you really jump ship of course, LOL)

So relax about it, have a look at my progress, below, I also, had to learn, that staying the same was progress

Cheers and good luck, Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Before, during, and after TOM, I am up on the scale 2-3 lbs. that is why now I do not like to weigh myself then (I'm a slave to the scale, I weigh myself every morning). I have seen other posters talk about 5-10 lbs. weight gain due to bloating. But after TOM, all the added weight disappears. Do not be concerned. Also, another hormonal thing, estrogen is stored in our fat cells. When you initially lose fat, it causes a flood of estrogen to the body. This could cause some breakouts (even if you never broke out in your life), but this, too, passes eventually. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:35

BF:

Hey, I just read your profile, I use to own a Gift/art Gallery as well, all High end Canadian made products, had it for 13 years.

Cheers Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 08:07
Registered Member

Talking Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Thank you to each and every one of you for taking the time to write!! It really means alot!

After re-reading my own post this morning, I see myself as being a little greedy and ungrateful for the 9 pound loss.....wanting more, more, more....

I just dug my Weight Watchers journal out from storage and realized that I only lost 13 pounds in 3 months on that plan. So 9 pounds in a few weeks is great.

I have to remind myself that I didn't put all of this weight on overnight--and therefore I shouldn't expect it to come off that rapidly either.

KATHY--What a small world! That is great that you had a fine craft gallery as well....and for 13 years?!! Are you completely out of it now? Do you miss it?

My husband and I were invited a few years ago (by the Canadian Embassy) to present a seminar at the Toronto Gift Show letting Canadian Artists know how to get their work into American galleries.

I must admit that I had never been to Canada prior to that trip--but I was overwhelmed at the friendlieness of you Canadians!! You are so very welcoming and kind-hearted.

Thanks for the note of support!!

THANKS RGALE, BECCA, AND PARADISE, TOO!!!!

April
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:49

BF:

Hi April, I'll respond in my journal, just, click on the little journal Icon under my info.
Cheers Kathy