Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/186/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default still stalled is there hope out there???

Hi, I have already posted about this once, but can anyone give me more help on this one.

I started induction 7 weeks ago, the first 10 days I lost 9lb, I then halted and for the next 6 weeks, I have been hovering up and down between 7-10lbs weight loss.

Very frustrating, as I have tried every diet under the sun, and really feel ill and unhealty and worse unsightly...... I so want to lose weight, I really thought this was the answer.

I am worried to try and go back to low fat in case I put all the 10lb Back on, but want to acheive more.

My diet is breakfast - 2 eggs 2 rashers, fried mushrooms
dinner hot dog sausages, salad
tea makerel and salad, chicken curry (all induction stuff)
meat, veg and gravy etc etc

snack jelly (s.f.) and cream

coffee and cream no suger, trying to drink all the water.

Can anyone out there tell me if they have had 50lb or thereabouts to lose, and actually done it.

Also doing as much exercize as possible, half and hour a day minimum...

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME REASSURANCE!!!

SARAH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

Wow, your stats and goal are so much like mine it's scary! I also started at 193 and my goal is 140. I don't know when you started but I started February 17th 2003 and I'm down to about 175. (I cheated a lot though ) Anyway, I was stalled for a little while too, and I decided to try the fat fast. A lot of people recommend it but personally I think the egg fast works better. You may not have heard of it, but it's not too difficult lol all you eat is eggs and it's usually done for about 3 days. And unlike the fat fast, the weight you lose during the egg fast actually STAYS OFF! It did for me anyway. It worked great for me and I even continued to lose at a rate of a pound a day for a few days. I highly recommend it. Best of luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:40

BF:

Hi, thanks for that wannabeski, It is unread, we do have the same goals alright, I started 29th March this year, 6 weeks or thereabouts after you. I am pleased to hear that you have got to 175 thats a great achievement.

I was really pleased with how things were going for me, at first, I bought the testing sticks and I am in the first pink colours all the time, so I am assuming that means things are working ok, just the weight is not coming off.......

I have maybe let carbs creep on occasion....... not cheating with the foods though, just maybe the quantity.....

I will try to have a go on the egg fast, not so keen on eggs, but worth a try I suppose! 3 days ehh???

How would you like to be my personal support???!!

Especially as we have so much in common.........

sarah
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:48
Registered Member

I'd love to be your personal support! I think I might actually do the egg fast starting tomorrow. So maybe we could do it togetheris kind of difficult because it does get a bit boring. I thini the key is to make them in different ways. I usually eat them fried or scrambled or make deviled eggs or egg salad. If you switch it up some, it's not too bad and the results are SO worth it. Let me know if you want to start tomorrow, if not I'll still support you. Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 16:02

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Re: still stalled is there hope out there???

Quote:
Originally posted by sarah 66
[B]
My diet is breakfast - 2 eggs 2 rashers, fried mushrooms
dinner hot dog sausages, salad
tea makerel and salad, chicken curry (all induction stuff)
meat, veg and gravy etc etc

snack jelly (s.f.) and cream

coffee and cream no suger, trying to drink all the water.

Okay, sausages and/or hot dogs have been known to make people retain water. Edited to add also bacon (I think that's what a rasher is, right?)

Is makerel a salty fish? (I'm not sure)

Gravy? Made with what? Flour will up your carbs.

I also lost weight initially, and am playing yo-yo with two to four pounds!!

I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that we all sometimes eat things without really thinking of everything that goes in it. (With me being the worst!)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 02:06

BF:

thanks for that you two, I will watch that ingrediant list to make sure I am not cheating.

I will try the egg fast for now, see how I get on today.......

breakfast 3 fried eggs!!

how are you doing, sarah
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 02:27
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb Keep it simple

I believe this diet can work for almost anyone. Dr. Atkins once said to keep your meals as simple as can be. Maybe you could try chicken, steak or beef instead of the hot dag sausages. Not sure what them are but I know hot dogs have some carbs and sausage has nitrates. Try steering clear of the gravy which is probably made with flour. What do you put the jelly on???
I never heard of carb free, sugar free jelly. Check the label. Well good luck with whatever diet you choose

Traci
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 04:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I have tried every diet under the sun

Sometimes when you have been a lifelong or frequent dieter, your body can become resistant. Be patient and make sure that you are eating enough calories to sustain at least your basal metabolism and your body will start to let go of the fat. It just needs to trust that you're not going to starve it again.
It might also help to cut back on the salty foods and processed meats.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 17:35
Registered Member

Hey Sarah,
I just thought I'd stop by real quick to see how you're doing. I hope you're doing well, unfortunately I'm not I cheated yesterday and I'm back up to 179 I planned on doing the egg fast today and that didn't work either but atleast I haven't cheated today.. Anyway, there's always tomorrow. I WILL do it tomorrow.. Let me know how you're doing!

Last edited by Wannabeski : Fri, May-23-03 at 17:41.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 08:13

BF:

thanks everyone I have took that on board,

wannabeski

I too jacked the egg fast, had 2 fried eggs for breakfast, and could not face anymore..........

Not panicking though as I have made some headway, lost 1lb last week, and another 1lb this morning---- so hopefully I am on my way again.......

sorry to hear that you have had a tough couple of days, don't despair, you are still ahead of me, and I am sure we will both do it, just thinking about being thin enough for shorts by the end of summer, looking good for christmas..... etc

Thanks again

sarah
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 09:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Sarah,

Before resorting to some of the more unbalanced approaches such as the egg fast, fat fast etc I would simply try and make more wholesome, less processed, protein choices as some of the others have suggested. Your biggest problem may just be water retention masking some fat loss. Also, are you exercisng regularly ?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 13:09

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up Hang in there Sarah!

I started in March as well, lost 11 lbs. during Induction, and then only 5 lbs. during the following 2 months.

However, figuring that at least I wasn't gaining + I was eating healthier than I had in years, I vowed to stick with the basics. From this forum & the Atkins books, we know that means lots of low GI veggies, unprocessed meat, eggs & full fats + small amounts of cheese, cream & Splenda. I also added in a couple of OWL goodies like peanut butter, protein shakes & berries to bring variety & convenience.

So, just when I think that nothing's gonna work... all of a sudden, I've dropped 5 lbs. in 3 days!!

IMO, some body's just don't like to make the switch to fat-burning instead of fat-piling on & fight it tooth & nail.

Also, have you been measuring and/or trying clothes that used to be too snug? If so, you could be burning fat and adding muscle, which wouldn't necessarily show up on the scale.

Good luck!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 18:03
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%

Our stats are close. I read what others did (adjust calories up or down, supplements, increasing exercise, etc.) to avoid a stall. So far I haven't faced a "true stall". I have lost 34 lbs. so far and would like to lose another 17-22 lbs. I am now in a size 8 so that makes me more patient to get the rest off.