Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 03:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Help! Im a newbie

I have just read most of the book, but it was the old book. It talks about levels instead of induction. It also says zeor carbs on the first week but I have heard everyone say 20. Which one am I supposed to do?

Also, what are fillers?

The book helped me alot because I found out that I wasnt allowed catsup and alot more things but also found that I was allowed alot too.

This will be my first day so I hope I can do it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 03:44

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi stacy41230,

The book says you are allowed 2 cups of salad (without tomatoes) and a cup of low carb veggies every day on induction - this is certainly not 0 carbs.

If you want to try it I would suggest you open an account with www.fitday.com . You can type in all you eat and it adds up all the carbs for you and gives you lots of other data. this way you can forget the cups thing and go for 20g of carbs a day.

On induction try to stick to fresh meats, fish, eggs, salads and low carb veggies only.

Good luck (and change you details to the plan you are on from today )

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 03:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 191/187/165
BF:
Progress: 15%

I know you can do it.

For induction, the first level or phase of the diet, you are allowed 20 grams of carbs. Most of the carbs that you do ingest should come from veggies.

Fillers are stuff that manufacturers often make up for flavor in the missing fat by adding high-carb fillers and sugars.
It is best to read the labels and ingredients.
Often, products that say low-fat or fat free have fillers in them. You want to eat stuff that is full fat, and watch out for the carb contents.

You might wanna read on the rules of induction on the atkinscenter.com website. You can find huge amounts of info on this website.
http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-325810.html

Also, read the stuff you can and can't eat.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Hope this helps, and happy LCing!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 03:49

BF:

My problem was that I bought the wrong book. In his old book it says level 1 zero carbs and I knew that was gonna be like impossible.

I was just wondering if any of you have read the old book versus the new and what differences there are.

I have started an account with fitday.com and I love it. It is so helpful and makes it so much easier.

Thanks for your help.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

In his new book, he went with 20g carbs, not the 0g in the old book, because he found that people lost the same at 0g vs. 20g and he knew that 20g of carbs would be more sustainable and enjoyable for Induction. I know I read it somewhere in the book but for the life of me cannot find it now! The things that surprised me that contain sugar, and are therefore no-nos, are ketchup, balsamic vinegar, and BBQ sauce (that shouldn't have been a surprise though, have you ever looked at a recipe for BBQ sauce?). Happy LCing!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:04

BF:

Thanks for clearing that up paradise. 20g sounds alot better than 0g to me, lol.

I was surprised at the ketchup too. I will learn as I go I guess.