Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Inspire me please!

Please don't take this wrong, as I am in the boat with you. I have been all over this site and find the support and friendship truly amazing. You are all a great group of people...I mean that!! OK here goes.....
The part that I am not seeing a whole lot of, along with the wonderful advice, is the drastic loss of weight. Some have overcome obstacles and lost 50+ lbs which is a great achievement, but most have only lost 10 or so lbs (like myself) and have been on a LC diet for quite some time. This now brings me to my question....
Are we all metabolically resistant???? I am tired of the struggle and sick of the diet as Im sure many are. Please give me something to go with. Am in ketosis and excersizing. I don't have enough time everday to sit and write in the journal at the moment. Am just looking for some real evidence that "this too shall pass" and I will be a size 8 (not 16) by my wedding day....Feb 29, 04. Hubby wants to go to Mexico for honeymoon. I would rather spend it in Antartica all covered up and in the dark!!
Have a great day and thank you for letting me air!! UGH!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

I'd recommend going to Icedancers journal! He's lost 150 lbs!! On atkins! Or sheilaraye who has lost 88lbs on CAD! There are so many inspirations. I know you are so anxious to lose,but really patience is key. I know it's hard and there are some bumps in the road,but if you just stick with it you will be amazed at the results. Everyone loses at different rates and no not everyone is metabolically resistant. I lose very fast if I'm strict,but I was a bad cheater on Atkins for the 5 mos I did it! So personally I'm lucky to have lost anything! lol I myself have lost 30 which may not be a HUGE thing to someone with more to lose,but to me it is a big deal! I feel GREAT, can wear skinny clothes and my DH chases me around the house like a teenager! How's that for inspiration? LOL Take care and have a GREAT day!

Last edited by shannonlea : Tue, May-20-03 at 19:31.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Smidgie!

I hate to burst your bubble, but you've lost about 10 pounds in 3 weeks and that's about average weight loss. Average weight loss during induction is about 10% of what you need to loose (or about 7 pounds in your case) and then 5% of what you need to lose each month after that. Some will lose more, some will lose less; that's why it's an average.
Low carb isn't necessarily a fast way to lose weight. It's an eating plan that helps you lose weight sensibly without having to go hungry and for most that makes it very sustainable over the long haul.
It sounds like you're still thinking of this as a diet (something you'll do for a while until you lose the weight and then go on to something else) instead of the permanent change in eating habits that this is really meant to be. As you progress through the different stages (induction, ongoing weight loss or OWL, premaintainance and eventually maintainance), you learn what works for your body and what doesn't, what foods cause cravings and weight gain and which don't. You learn to change your eating habits for life and how to eat so that the weight stays off for good once it's gone.
It could be that you're eating something that is slowing down your weight loss. How about posting some sample menus so that others can possibly spot any problems that may be there?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:45

BF:

Thank you for your helpful advice and inspiration! Will look up those people and find out any "secrets" they have that helped them keep on losing!
I do call this a diet out of habit, but understand it is truly a way of life and will only make mine better if I stick to it. Just need all the inspiration and advice any are willing to share.

Keep em coming..........................................
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:05

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

I haven't been LCing very long, but did LC in 1970's. Then, I considered it a diet, lost a lot of weight, allowed myself to become convinced that "eating fat" was bad for me, and gained it back plus more. I have been hospitalized for congestive heart failure twice in the last 11 years. This time I started LC March 18, 2003. I have lost 23+ pounds. Why? Because my fasting blood test in March was 127, I knew I had to do something. I felt awful! Being the daughter of a diabetic, I knew what to expect---it wasn't good. I did not want to take more drugs and especially not insulin. My fasting blood glucose test in April was 80 which I believe is normal. I still have some high liver enzymes, but they too are lower than in March. I am also on a low salt diet which may make losing easier. I decided no sugar, little salt, no processed foods. I eat most of my vegetables raw without salad dressing. Cooked vegetables are the ones that I cook myself. This week I have added sour cream, strawberries (4 or 5 small), and whipped cream. I feel as though I am cheating from these treats. My next recipe from the kitchen section is parmesan chicken (have to limit myself because of the salt in the cheese). I feel great. I actually feel like I may be alive tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. I have a lot more energy. At first I regarded the weight loss as a side effect. Now, I am happy that I am losing in inches and in pounds. It feels soooooo good to want to live. To look forward to doing something besides marking time. I know I can't let down my guard and so far I haven't been tempted to. The sky seems brighter in spite of the fact that it has rained for weeks here. We are supposed to have a few dry days ahead. I have tried to convince myself that it doesn't matter what the scale says tomorrow. But if it's bad, I know I can wear clothes that I could barely get on last week.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:08

Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default hi

i doubt i can be a inspiration to anyone but i started atkins wol on jan 1st,03 and have lost 50lbs in the 5months(that might not be a great loss for others)but to me it is amazing!!! I now am half way in my weight loss journey. My weight loss has slowed down this month and i have only lost about 5lbs in the last three weeks but i understand that my body is adjusting to this new weight. i too have days that i dont think i can go one more day without chips,ect but then i just look at all the clothes in the much smaller size that i wear now ) and that makes it seem easier.
linda
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:37

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

First off, Ihill, you have done fabulous!!

Secondly, If this Woe was a super fast "drop my ten years of overeating, bingeing, Fast food way of life" in a few short weeks, would you not think, the whole nation would be on it?? And morbid obeseity would be a thing of the past?

What other diet can you eat this kind of food and lose 10 pounds in three weeks?

There is plenty of examples of tons of people who have lost lot's of weight and kept if off, which is the key to this way of eating, "keeping it off"

There is no secret it's all in the book, one just has to "Follow it".
Not say they are but chopping down a bun/spud/bread here and there thinking it won't hurt.

As well, just my opinion, Cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Tue, May-20-03 at 21:38.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 22:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I am stalled but

I am stalled but it is not preventing me from learning more about eating LC. I have been enjoying things such as goodies learning to eat alternatives to white flour, rice and potatoes. It is great to be able to eat 3 meals a day without wondering why I can't go longer than 2 hours between meals. I will get to my goal on time.

I don't get this. I have read often that the weight to expect to lose while on induction should be 10% of what you need to lose. If that were the case then I need to lose 90 lbs which would mean that I would have to get down to 60 lbs. I lost 9 lbs while on induction. According to Atkinscenter you lose according to your metabolism.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are a lot of variables that will influence rate of fat loss. Yo-yo dieting, prescription medications...you can read all about it here if you haven't had a chance to yet.

I'm not looking the way I want to look yet although I'm close to it and I've been low-carbing for almost 4 years. What makes me continue is the great peace of mind that low-carbing has brought to me. For the first time in my life I am free of the power I let carbs have over me and that's as good if not better than seeing a certain number on the scale. Low-carbing contributed to me having a brand, spankin' new life and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

A lot has to be said for the mind-set you bring to the low-carb table too. If you operate from a place of freedom and exploration, so much the better.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 00:40
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up Atkins works !!!

I see you lost some weight and was wondering how long you been on the diet? Congrats on your small but significant weight loss! I want to tell you last summer I was on Atkins for the 1st time for about 3 months {stopped due to a high risk pregnancy that I miscarried}and lost 30 lbs in 3 months and plenty of inches....I never felt that good in a long time. Going from a size 16 to a size 10 felt wonderful...I honestly couldnt believe it when I tried on the jeans at the store...I was truely in disbelief. Alot of times when you are not losing on this diet on the scale your are losing inches. It felt great when all my clothes were getting baggy !!! My weight loss snuck up on me so fast I didnt even realize how much I was losing. I even take medicine that causes weight gain and this diet still works. Sometimes when I'm not losing I have to take a look at what I'm eating and make sure I'm drinking enough water. Sometimes you will just stall for no apparent reason. But if you know your doing the diet right rest assured the weight will come off. If I lost 30 lbs in 3 months imagine what u can lose in a year and I wasnt even excercising !!! The diet works and thats why after I had my miscarriage and gave my body a little time to heal I am back on it. I was never good with diets but this is the only one I truely seen results with. There is alot of foods you cant eat but you never have to go hungry like other diets. And theres alot of delicious fattening foods you can eat .....yum...yum. And on occassion I myself allow a cheat day or meal here and there. I dont recommend that for everyone and warning to do it in moderation but thats how I like to do it.....special occassions and such. Hope it goes well for you and I have helped in some way !!!

We can do this together !!!

Support= Success

Traci
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 02:22

BF:

If I were to give up the diet today i would still frequent this site just to read the many praises and always helpful advice.
THANK YOU!!!!
I feel now (after more reading and ya'all) that 10 lbs in 3 weeks is good, but don't really see the inches melting away just yet...! I guess I have been spoiled and not had a hard time losing weight before if I set my mind to it. This time is different and probably because I just had a baby 11 mos ago. I had lost weight during pregnancy (16 lbs of healthy loss) and started gaining after baby was born. Really does change the bod!!
Probably the biggest reason for my downhearted attitude is watching my friends around me lose very rapidly on Atkins.
I appreciate all the inspiration you have given me, it is much needed medicine!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 07:10

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Wow! I feel the exact opposite! I've seen so many people lose so much weight that it truly is an inspiration!!! I know a lady from another board who went from 195 to 102!!!! I know a lady who went from the 400's to the 200's and still going strong. In three days, I will hit the three month mark and have lost 33.5 lbs.

I think most of the ones that I have seen that have lost about 10 lbs. are either new to the lifestyle, or are already very close to their goal weight.

I didn't check your profile, but if you have only been doing it for three weeks and have lost 9 lbs...you are doing great!!!! That's 3 lbs. a week!!!!

Anyway....just my two cents

L