Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 06:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/237/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Vitamins and Herbs?

Would you all care to share some information on what kinds of supplements you take and why?

I have been taking a multi-vitamin with herbs tablet. I bought a huge bottle of them at Sam's Club last month before I even knew of Atkins.. It only has 80 mg of potassium which is 2% of what is needed daily... but many of the vitamins it has 100% or more of.. some as much as 300%

Do you go to a vitamin store like GNC and get advice from someone? or buy some online? Have you asked your doctor?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 06:17

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi,,

I forgot to tell you yes I know where you are, we used to live in Fairfield in Wildwood. I used to own a shop in Forest Fair mall before I retired to become a stay at home mom. anyways, about the supplements. I usually buy mine at Walmart or online if I find a good deal, I take the dosages Atkins recommends, with extra pottasium, calcium and magnisium to help with muscle repair since I am working out so much (helps with muscle soreness) I also take omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil supplement) and evening primrose, and acidopholous. My doctor approved of the supplements but I didnt consult him before starting. I also see a nurse/midwife for gyno and she approves too. Hope this helps you. I also think if you feel good you should still take what you have until its gone. Unless you are feeling dragged out then your doing fine.

Last edited by gotaloseit : Tue, May-27-03 at 06:18.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 07:08

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Cincybev

Thanks for the thread, it interests me as well
This is my current intake once a day around breakfast time:-

Multi-Vitamin & Multi-Mineral tablet.
Calcium 600 mg x 2
Cod Liver Oil 1000mg.
Echinacea 400mg x 3 (10 weeks on 2 weeks off)
Psyllium 2 x 500mg before meals
Garlic capsual.
1/2 an Asprin tablet.

My own view is that since starting Cod Liver Oil about three years ago, my joints(ankles) have improved, and Echinacea has help to keep infections at bay, or helped in shortening the duration time of colds etc. since starting it about 6 months ago.
Psyllium started about two weeks as a source of soluble fibre seems to help.

Doctors I avoid, but have had bloods and weight taken by pratice nurses.

I reckon I cover most of my dietry shortfalls the main one being Calcium, as I have never drank much milk anyway.

The Asprin has been advocated as a great prevention against blood clots etc, but caution should be taken before commencing, see your doctor first!!!!!!!!!!

Lowcarbing has made me more aware of what I take into my body esp salt and additives and of course I drink as much water as possiable each day.

Tablets come from health food shops, I always buy special offers and if you get larger packs then the offers rotate before you run short, but they are not cheap!!!!

Last edited by thebigman : Tue, May-27-03 at 08:02.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Right now I take a multi-vitamin and CoQ10 but I am going to add a Vitamin C supplement and maybe Coral Calcium soon.