Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default I need some encouragement.......

Today is a very down day. I am currently on week 6 of the Atkins program and I am seriously wondering if I can continue on this woe for the long-haul. Although I have done great and feel less tired in the afternoons, I miss all the food that is not on the acceptable list. Pasta w/ meatsauce.....granola bars.......cantaloupe & strawberries w/ my favorite chocolate yogurt.........garlic rolls..........PIZZA.........and sugar in my coffee....I have tried to get my hubby to join me in changing his eating habits ..(his b/p, cholesterol and triglycerides are astronomical!!)...but he just plain refuses - so I feel as if I'm completely alone in this journey. Sometimes I also question whether or not I'm doing the right thing for my body.....since everywhere you look there's conflicting advice on EVERY way of eating.....including (and especially) the food pyramid! I guess any thoughts or wisdom from the "old timers to the program" or just plain anything - would be a help right now.....
Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:40
Registered Member

Stats: 177/175/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default It gets better

Don't give up----You have to remember that eventually you will be able to eat some pasta or pizza. It is a way of life but its purpose is more designed to help you understand your body, and what you can eat. You can certainly have a pasta dinner....But perhaps not as often. If right now you really need to eat that, try it and just don't go over board. It won't be the end of the world......But get back into low carb mode the next day
I too am doing this alone. My husband will have no part of it. I have a long way to go but I'm going to stick it out because I tried everything, including exercise and nothing worked.
I guess you have to decide if you can be committed to change your habits and learn to adjust to them. I think it gets easier with time.....Eventually, you won't crave or miss a heavy carb diet.
Give yourself some time.....
Best Wishes,
Nan
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:55

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Old

Im not an old timer to the program, but I am an old timer to the weight loss yo yo !
When I was a kid, if I didnt do sports, and thank you Dad for forcing me, I would have been tubby-thats the way I was before I joined teams in Jr High, and thats how I stayed slim.
Sometime after college when I was inactive other than work, I gained weight.
Its been back and forth since then.
That is why I went on this plan , because unlike most plans you can do this one and be successful for life.
Not having your dh support is really bad and there is a chapter on that you need to read in Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. The tips on how to handle that are there.
What you need to know is that by following the plan you will take off and keep off the weight. If you follow each phase you will grow vigilant about your health and your weight and will be healthy for life. The conflicting advice is a part of why two thirds of Americans are overweight and a third of them obese. The food pyramid is more to blame for that than anything but television watching.
Your best bet for fighting the criticism is to read the book. Then read whatever you can.
All of the things you listed you will eat again. There are low carb versions of each of them. And splenda and sugar are pretty much interchangable.
Missing food is normal, but part of what you will realize following Atkins is that controlling what you eat mentally is the essential willpower of any weight loss plan. If you can do this you will win.
Most important and often overlooked part of the Atkins plan is exercise. All that new energy can now be put to use. If you lose weight and exercise or just exercise you will be less at risk for many life threatening illnesses. This is the convincing argument with the hubby-you want to be around. Would be nice if he was there with you. When he sees your success he will follow !! You can inspire him and that will inspire you.
Look at the success stories and you will see the results that this plan offers. I know 3 people who have followed this for years and all have lost and kept a lot of weight off. Most importantly they are now aware of their overall health. That is the important thing about this plan it makes you care about yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:23
Registered Member

Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default Thanks!

For the pep talk. I knew you guys would make me feel better....maybe it's just a bad day. In any event, I just ordered my lunch.......chinese take out - but I got the steamed mixed veggies w/ chicken (and extra veggies instead of the rice) still sticking to the plan............but would rather have General Tso's!! Maybe I will check into ordering that book: "Low Carb for Life"....it looks pretty interesting.
Thanks again for your responses!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You have so little to lose... If this is really hard for you, maybe you should try something like Carb Addicts, which will give you more variety but also restricts the amount of what got you here in the first place. Better you should stay on low carb in some form than give up in frustration and go back to your former WOE.