Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Hi I am new

Hello All,

My name is Karen. I am new to this site. I, like most of you here need to loose about a hundred pounds. I am determined to do it but somehow I just think that I never will. I have never weighed this much in my life. These days I have stopped wearing make-up and stopped looking in the mirror because I get so upset when I see how big I have become. I have tried the Atkins diet before and lost some weight; however, I gained that back and then some. I stopped smoking a year ago and gained 30 pounds when I did that. I think there are times now that I am reaching for food when I would be reaching for a cigarette.
I am happy to have found this site and I hope that we can all stay motivated together.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:05

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile

Good morning Karen, and welcome. You are going to love hanging out here, and talking with everyone. They are so supportive, have good tips and always an ear to lend. I have managed to stay on induction now for 13 days, the longest I have managed this time around, and I think in part, it is because I do the journaling, and remain determined to be honest in it...even if I am feeling like a failure.
I know what you mean about feeling that makeup etc is not worth the trouble, but try to remember that you are a person that deserves to feel good...it will boost your self esteem to look as good as you can....give yourself a little gift each day...put on some makeup and look good...
Feel free to visit my journal anytime you want...
And you start one too so that people can pop in an see how you are doing.
Talk to you again soon
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Smile Hi Karen

So glad you found us here, I can relate to the"stopped wearing make-up and stopped looking in the mirror because I get so upset when I see how big I have become" that started to happen in my life too.
BUT the good news is we can change, we have a choice and you made the right choice to change your way of life and become healthly.
Its a big step, and they may be days that you feel that you are not accomplishing anything..... but you are. You will find this site to be filled with inspiration and when you need some just make sure to pop in and get you fill.

Congrats on your New WOL
Stephanie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:56

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

Hiya Karen

If ya want motivation, this is definately where you wanna be. I really think you will enjoy it here. I see ya have a journal.. good for you! I didnt think i would use mine very much.. but now I find I turn to it to talk about absolutely anything.. and I always find supportive replies.. or sometimes just silly ones. Most importantly, you can just be yourself there, be honest about your success or fears & concerns... It seems that once I put something down in writing, it gives me the motivation to do something about it if its something I need to change. And goodness girl..put that makeup on and fix your hair... even on days you arent going out... for me, at least, I find its those little things that keep me feeling at least somewhat attractive and lift my self-esteem a bit. I think you should try it.. even in ya have to force yourself at first

Anyways.. you are definately headed in the right direction!Take care and have a great weekend

tracy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 19:53

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thank you all for the kind words. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found this site. Maybe if I can take off the first ten pounds, I will try the make up again. I am just so depressed but with people like you to help I sure hope I will be able to make it even if it is a pound at a time.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 21:12
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the site. I'm a big believer in the idea that how we are feeling influences our health and our weight loss. If it's at all possible for you, I would try the make-up now. I think when we do things to make ourselves feel better (like put on make-up or nice clothes), it is easier to lose weight. If we wait to do the things that make us feel good until we have lost weight, often those things never happen and we just continue to feel bad.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 08:20

Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

Welcome Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 12:13
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default Welcome

Hi Karen,

I am fairly new to this site myself & have been LCing for almost two years.

Here you will find people who know exactly what & how you are feeling.

They have been a great source of inspiration to me and I am sure you will find the same.

Welcome to a new way of life....an incredible journey that you are not alone on.

Keep smiling :-)

Jo
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 23:44

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Welcome Karen!

I'm with everyone else on the makeup issue, the better you feel about yourself, the easier it is to stick to your weightloss goals.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 00:47

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 18%
Default Inspired by Karsuepas

Welcome Karen I've just read your post and realised that you've got my problem. As a teenager I was rewarded for loosing weight with new clothes etc. (I look at photos now and I was as skinny as hell). So like you I came to think that I wasn't allowed to wear nice clothes, make up etc unless I was thin. I've got over the clothes thing but not the make up.
I don't know how old you are but before you get to my age and don't even know how to put on make up, get wearing it because you deserve it
Anyway I thought of telling you this on your post and then decided to take my own advice. I've wanted to join a gym for ages, but was too scared. Yeh, I thought fat people weren't allowed to go to the gym. So I've made some calls and I was just waiting for the motivation to go. You've given it to me.

I'm really scared, last time I was in the gym the teacher used to put my name on the board and any one who played up was put in my team as punishment. So I've avoided any situation like that for the last 30 odd years.
Here goes I'm out the door.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Smile HI!

Welcome to you Karen. Hope we can be of assistance in your journey to a healthier you!

Nicole
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:49

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default I am cheering you on!!!

Welcome Karen!!!

We are soooo glad that you
found us! There are soooo
many people here who have struggled