Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 00:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default I could really use some support....

I am getting really discouraged. I have been on this WOL for over 2 months now. I have lost weight ok, and have been feeling better, which is good. The cost has been a bit hard for me, because i really can't stomache another egg.
I went to the US this weekend, just by myself. I went into a few clothing stores looking to get something new. I picked out a bunch of 14's, being inspired by all the stories of people fitting into much smaller sizes. And they didn't fit. Only the 16's fit. (i was a 16 before). I have not lost ANY inches, and i feel flabbier than before. No size loss. I am not trying to complain, but i have some very stressful stuff happening in my life, and i just don't know how much longer i can keep this up, without seeing any results.... I want to commit to low carb forever, but when the stress is just weighing you down, it is hard to repeatedly turn down the temptation when you are feeling discouraged...
Any support would be appreicated...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 00:22

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

i too have been going thru this same thing!! im glad to see im not the only one... i was to the point of giving up yesterday, and actually went on a binge ... i gained 4 lbs! ugh... as of this morning due to the binge... but heres what a wise forumer told me... you have lost a significate amount of weight in 2 months.. let your body adjust... so give it another month at least im sure the wooshy fairy is around the corner for us both ....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 05:09

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

When you say you were a size 16 before...were you *really* a size 16 or were you just wearing a 16? Someone here had a tagline or made a comment that struck home for me. "Just because you can get it on doesn't mean it fits".

I started out in an 18 and am, after 30 lbs. in a very comfortable 16. Of course during this time frame, I have figured out that the 18's didn't really fit in the first place...lol.

If you are losing weight, the inches will follow at some point. They have to. I know it can be discouraging, but be honest with yourself....what is your alternative? Do you know of anything else that works so well?

I hope you hang in there. Best of luck!

L
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 05:21
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You have lost weight, and that is wonderful!

I find that I lose pounds (I guess kilos in your case ) OR I shrink in size-but not both at the same time. After two months, I had lost about 7 or 8 pounds, but I had not lost a lot in my clothes. Then I lost inches, but no pounds.

You also have to consider that US sizes are different from other countries sizes AND not all US sizes are the same. There is no real size standard. At my weight, I have a pair of 10's, a pair of 9's and a pair of 8's that all fit me about the same way. I have a couple of suits that are 12 petite's that fit great.

There is also the fact that we are all built differently. Several people on this forum can wear 8's at a weight that is higher than mine-they have a different shape than I do or maybe they buy different brands that are sized different.

Do you measure yourself? Try putting on some of your old clothes and see how they fit. I bet you will notice a difference there.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 05:27

Stats: 250/220/180
BF:
Progress: 43%

What the last person said is very true. I have lost 32 pounds since Jan. 03 but I haven't really went down in sizes all that much. I keep saying that I was a 22 now a 18/20 but maybe I was closer to a size 24. I think now that my 22's were tight, and that I just refused to go back to my 24's. It takes alot of weightloss for me to notice size change too, so don't get discouraged. I think that the way lc makes you feel should be worth staying on it. I sleep so good now. I don't have a ton of energy, but I don't take naps anymore so there is a change. Before whenever I would eat tons of carbs at a meal, I would be yawning and ready to crawl into bed before I got home, now I can eat just as much but not feel tired.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 06:06

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Effective wl plan

I too was not losing for over a month.

Started exercising EVERY day and counting calories. Then the clothes started getting looser.
I do completely understand, I felt the same way and wanted to bang my head against the wall. It can feel really crappy.
I honestly do not put any value in pounds lost- much pounds can be water weight so who cares.
I care about how things fit me. So I am right beside you complaining about lack of results. Thats when I reread the book and saw that he stresses exercise and keeps sending messages about caloric intake. This is an advantage over that formula but the formula still counts. It completely slipped me by on my first read of DANDR.
I can not for the life of me hold on and wait for a whoosh ! Faith has never been a strong point when it comes to self image.
But I started doing 45 min 5 days a week of cardio and 30 min on the 2 days. I exercise every day limit my calories to 10 times goal weight and then saw that I went down a size.
Naturally it was a bra size ! But then the pants went too.
Maybe thats it- maybe your top is losing first?
Just know that the mental conviction you have to lose is the most important part. You are working on it !
If the scale says you have lost but no inches lost and you are not exercising then what the heck is going on?
My guess is water weight and loss elsewhere. Up exercise and forget about clothes shopping until you feel the looseness in your present clothes.
Otherwise be proud of yourself !
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 09:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am not trying to complain, but i have some very stressful stuff happening in my life, and i just don't know how much longer i can keep this up, without seeing any results.... I want to commit to low carb forever, but when the stress is just weighing you down, it is hard to repeatedly turn down the temptation when you are feeling discouraged...

Stress is one of the factors that will make you not lose weight.

The interesting thing about starting low-carbing and deciding to lose fat is that it teaches you where you have to change things in your life. The way you eat, your thoughts...all the things that brought you to low-carbing in the first place.

I don't have any easy answers, but learning how to deal with the stress in your life is a good place to begin. There will always be stress. It's how you react to it that makes the difference in the quality of how you feel and function.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 10:02

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Please do not pay any attention to the size of the clothes, that in it's self is enough to cause a stress attack!! A size 14 is not what it was years ago and as someone else already said, but worth repeating............... USA and Can sizes are not the same at all !
So just forget that trip please, relax

At 180, where I started I was wearing 16-18 Can pants, down down to 153, I wear 12,13,14 all equally comfy. This week I tried on a pair of G.Vanderbilt jeans, when the sales lady took me to the dressing room, she said, don't be bothered if they are small, G.V. sizes always fit small, we just have to ignore the numbers !
I thought that was a really good thing for her to say.

Karen is right about the stress, I went through a 3 week period, with no change at all, and I'm sure it was stress related. Just try to stick with it, some things you can control, others you can't, just don't let it drag you down and undo all you have achieved on Atkins.

Good Luck, Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sun, May-11-03 at 10:04.