Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 12:06
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Anyone Know What Dr. S. Thinks of Microwaves

Hi All you Beiners

I was just wondering about something, I usually microwave my veggies with just about a tsp of water in a covered container. Knowing how she feels about how things are cooked - do you think microwaving is ok? The veggies are really nice and crisp even crisper than steaming on the stovetop.

I can't remember seeing anything regarding nuking veggies in the book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 175/157/140
BF:Happily ignorant!
Progress: 51%
Default It's fine!

She doesn't specifically mention microwaving, but I'm sure it's fine. Just be sure not to use a plastic container or if you're using plastic wrap, don't let it touch the veggies while cooking. I've heard that can be dangerous, and I try to avoid that. But other wise, I think it's more than okay!

I'll have to try your method more often; last night I steamed broccoli on the stovetop and it would be much easier to nuke them. Only sometimes I don't like how it makes the house smell, LOL!

Rose
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 12:53
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Thanks Rosemerry

I never thought about the plastic containers - I was using them. I have corningware casseroles in small sizes I'll use them instead.

I think that using the microwave actually smells up the house less than the stove top. I just put the veggies in the container and add about a tsp or two of water - mine has a setting for fresh veg that goes by the cup, I use that setting and it just takes a couple of minutes and the cleanup is soooooooo easy (I am quite lazy at times )
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 175/157/140
BF:Happily ignorant!
Progress: 51%
Default Thanks!

Koko,
Thanks to you I will be microwaving my veggies instead of steaming them from now on! I did it last night w/broccoli and they were delicious. However, I am jealous of your fresh vegetable setting on your microwave. Would that be at a lower setting? I just nuked them on high for 1-2 minutes.
Rose