Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 05:10
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Study: Even U.S. toddlers are obese

Article

The answer is so obvious to us...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
The parents were instructed on proper diet and exercise for their children and were advised to meet with a dietitian. But two years later, the children were, on average, even more overweight, the study found.

Why...because the dietitians are still pushing low-fat/hi-carb diets. Start telling them to reduce their junk carbs and I'll bet you, this would work. But, as long as you try to deprive a growing kid of fat/protein...it will never work.

Quote:
"Clearly, referral to pediatric endocrinologists and dietitians is not effective in treating childhood obesity," said Liu. "An effective weight-loss program should not only focus on children, it should also include the parents and the school system. Obese children likely have obese parents. High-calorie school lunches may add to the problem."

She's kidding herself if she truly believes that School lunches are hi-calorie. Using what I remember getting on Hamburger day:

433 calories
16g Fat
48g Carbs
3g Fiber
23g Protein

And, that is with no desert. throw in a fruit bar and you get:

532 calories
16g Fat
73g Carbs
3g Fiber
24g Protein

On spaghetti day, the numbers would be:

380 calories
7g Fat
67g Carbs
3g Fiber
14g Protein

Now, since when has 300-500 calories been "Hi-Calorie" for 1 meal out of the day. Now, let's assume the kid also has school breakfat...the numbers are:

855 calories
23g Fat
133g Carbs
9g Fiber
35g Protein

I hardly consider 855 calories for two-meals to be "Hi-calorie." In fact, were they to eat 3 meals a day in the cafeteria...they would probably take in just over 1,000 calories which is considered starvation. But, they are eating 133g Carbs in the school cafeteria, which is unacceptable.

My suggestions:

1) Trade the dairy milk for soy milk
2) Trade the cereal for Scrambled Eggs
3) Trade the juice bar for LC Soy Ice Cream
4) Trade the bun for a little more meat on the burger
5) Trade the potatoes for a salad
6) Trade the Apple for two canaloupe wedges

1052 calories
73g Fat
25g Carbs
8g Fiber
73g Protein

Do this, and I garantee you...you will see a reduction in childhood obesity.