Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/205/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Hey Calgarians!!!

I talked to the manager at my local Superstore today. (I live in McKenzie) He was quite supportive of the low carb WOE, and stated if I could bring him a list of products that low carbers would buy, there is a great possibility that they could carry it in thier stores! Of course, I happen to come from a family that can sell anything. (I once sold laundry soap, in bulk, to people I later found out had no washing machine. That doesn't mean they dont need to wash thier cothes, but you know )

I thought if all us Calgarians could get together, we might be able to find those ever elusive products right in or own grocery store!

Let me know what you think!

Heather
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 18:04

Plan: general low carb eating
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 62 inches
BF:

It would be great if Superstore would carry Low carb items. I do not shop there much myself because I don't live close to one.

A few of us Calgarians who have met through this forum will be getting together in January for coffee. If you would like to join us, post in my journal or PM me. (You have to have 25 posts to PM somebody, though).

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jan
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 08:52

Plan: protein power
Stats: 220/220/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

Jan I just found this site and am going to start the diet today along with my daughter who lives near Innisfail. Did you have any luck with the Superstore. If so what?

Debbie S.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 14:50

BF:
Default superstore

if we want results, we have to work together. If anyone from Calgary sees this, please post the things you would like to see in the store. I am planning to meet with the managers at my Superstore towards the end of the month. If Superstore starts carrying these products at a reasonable price, you can be sure other stores will follow!

Heather
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 01:02

Plan: T-Dawg
Stats: 265/155/145
BF:
Progress: 92%

I would love to see any kind of frozen low-carb bread, and DaVinci syrups.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 16:19

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hey Calgary Neighbours!

I am interested also in discoverin' where we can obtain LC
products.
One place in the North that carries Ross bars at an excellent
price is the drugstore in Simons Valley I D A Drug Mart
on Centre Street North.

Lakeview I G A Grocery Store at 6449 Crowchild Trail S.W. carries an ice cream made with Splenda...in three flavours.

Hopefully, Superstore will start carryin' LC products. I sent in a
request to Calgary Co-op but so far have received no reply. My initial hopes are to discover pasta and bread.

Lookin' forward to gettin' to know more Calgarians who are on LC for life...a healthy life!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 00:59

BF:
Thumbs up Atkins Bake Mix

Hey fellow Calgarians, just wanted to let you guys know I found Atkins Bake Mix at Super Drug Mart, in McKenzie Towne where I live...it was $19.99 (HOLY SMOKES, I know) but I fought some to try. Maybe if there is a Super Drug near you they will have it.
I also posted this in the Low Carb Yellow Pages.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 16:21

Plan: WIN! (my own plan)
Stats: 172/150/123 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default WOW!

Hi Heather

I'm glad you found the Atkins ...but whoa... what a price tag!

Maybe there is a similar substance that can be used for our bakin'.

I sure hope so!

Have a great time with the Bake-mix. Happy cookin'

n0ah
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 14:47

Plan: shwarzbein/protein power
Stats: 165/135/125
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default LC Products

I'd love to see flax o meal or other low carb cereals and breads.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 02:47

BF:
Default more low carb goodies

I have decided since Super Drug Mart is carrying alot of low carb products...maybe I would talk to them about the products. They also carry Ross bars, low carb shake mixes, Atkins bars, and other stuff. I found a shake mix at Superstore called "Slimdown-High Protein Shake" (aprox 15$)it has no carbs in it and tastes pretty horrible, mostly becasue it is not flavored. Wal-Mart carries a soy milk called "Natur-a" it is unsweetened and has 4g of carbs and 3g of fiber per cup. The Atkins bake mix is alright...but it has a kinda bland flavor, I find if you spice it up with some Stevia, as opposed to Splenda (less carbs in Stevia) it tastes alot better. I have looked around alot at every store, just because I plan on doing the Atkins plan for as long as I live. I want to have the products that make this WOE pleasant, and easier to stick to. Please keep sending me your requests, I will be setting up a meeting with Super Drug Mart. I was in sales a LONG time and I know I can sell them on the idea if I have the backup from the community. I paid 20$ for Atkins bake mix, and wasn't really concerned of the price, and I think that if I have proof the rest of the low carb community will do the same, they will realize that it is worthwhile.
Heather
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 05:37

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Pasta & Low Carb bread for me!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 11:22

Stats: 182/158/110 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Lo Carb Bread

I have just begun counting carbs and I know that the food I will miss most is bread. So, I was thrilled to find the Bake Mix in GNC, yes $20 (16 if you have a GNC gold card). Anyway I promptly baked a loaf and, my apologies to Atkins, but I cannot imagine every using it again. Is there anything else out there?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/241/150
BF:
Progress: 30%

At the diabetic depot off of 37th and Glenmore-she carries bread machine mixes and bakery low carb bread and tortillas.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 05:04

Plan: DR. ATKINS
Stats: 267.2/216.0/150
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hello Calgary...

I was in GNC in Sunridge a couple weeks ago and the fellow working told me they had just signed a conract to carry all the atkins products, food, books, videos etc. He thought they should have it on the shelves in 3-4 weeks. I get the Advantage bars at Super Drug Mart in Airdire (ok I'm ALMOST Calgarian!)(2.99 reg) but will go back and see if they have more. I get the Ross bars at Morning Sun. Xtra Foods in Airdrie has the bars and recently lowered the regular price from 3.89 to 3.19. This tells me they know they are popular and being sold at more and more places. Morning Sun also told me they are trying to get more products but it is hard to get them because they are so popular.

I do have a question....does anyone know where to get bulk things such as whey protein powder, soy protein isolate etc? in the NE? I have found many recipes which sound delicious but call for these items. I'm trying to find them without driving all the way across Calgary.

I have the Atkins Bake Mix (19.99 at Beddington Mall) and have enjoyed everything I've tried. Zucchini bread is yummy. I did try it for frying chicken and found it burned pretty quickly so be careful. It also needed some spices to liven it up a little.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 12:44

Stats: 182/158/110 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Smile

Thank you for directing me to the Diabetic Depot! They have 3g per slice bread and it is excellent. Also a great selection of low/no carb items. I tried the strawberry jam (1g per tbsp) and a 0g ketchup, both products are delicious! The really great part is that the woman who owns the store knows about the products on her shelves, uses them and is simply a super nice person.