Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 19:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%
Default CCARBS study

Thought there might be some people out there interested in doing this. The registration takes only a few minutes... This was taken from a post in another forum ...

Controlled carbohydrate followers who are interested in participating in the study can simply log on to the CCARBS (The Controlled Carbohydrate Assessment Registry Bank Study) website at http://epi.aecom.yu.edu/studies/cca/HomePage.asp?studyID=2 , register, take the initial screening questionnaire and then follow instructions for participation.

Once accepted in the registry, CCARBS participants will receive, in addition to the satisfaction of contributing significantly to scientific knowledge about controlled carbohydrate diets, the following free services:

- Dietary analysis each time they complete questionnaires
- Access to a nutritionist to ask questions online
- Monthly newsletters on controlled carbohydrate topics and other health-related topics
- Controlled carbohydrate recipes

The first scientific tracking system designed to provide researchers with accurate data on controlled carbohydrate eating habits is now up and running on the Internet. The purpose of is to investigate long-term weight variations, eating patterns and lifestyles of Americans who follow a controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach. This will be the first time that any medical facility has undertaken this task, applying rigorous scientific and objective methods rather than just collecting anecdotal and random information.

CCARBS will address many of the ongoing and long-term questions posed by the growing role of controlled carbohydrate weight-loss diets in obesity and obesity-related disease management. The study will also function as a unique source of ongoing data for qualified investigators and journalists seeking to answer specific hypotheses and questions. CCARBS is the first database to provide an accurate assessment of the controlled carbohydrate lifestyle population in the United States.

The research is being independently conducted at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University and has been made possible though an unrestricted grant from The Dr. Robert C. Atkins Foundation."

Even though it is primarily looking at US lifestyles, they invite persons from other countries to participate (which is what I am going to do) I guess it will give them a broarder study base..

Fiona

Last edited by FionaC : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 20:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I did the prequalification test and was selected. Sent the rest of the paperwork in earlier today.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 20:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

me too, I'm in, there is a real need for this kind of study,

julienne
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 08:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I joined up. Hope they use a large enough group to make a major study. Its a good tribute to Dr. Atkins.

I'm in this for the long haul.

Last edited by bevbme : Sat, Apr-19-03 at 08:54.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:21

Stats: 177/177/135 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am excited, I got accepted too
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:14

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

Im going to sign up once I reach 2 months low carbing.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 15:37

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Tried to sign up and was rejected I can't figure out why...lol. The only thing I could say I had eaten in the last 30 days was some nuts and some low carb veggies. That's too bad! I would really have liked to have participated.

Oh...that reminds me....I was re-reading DANDR again last night (okay, I read it almost every day...lol) and saw where Dr. A recommended that everyone call the National Weight Loss Registry at 1-800-606 NWLR so that a formal record of your weight loss success doing Atkins can be added to that database. Has anyone done this? I was planning on giving them a call this week. I definately want to support this WOE and also contribute to the food industry coming up with acceptable alternatives for us low carbers.

L

P.S. Did any of you who were accepted put down that you were very active? I said yes because I work out a hour a day/five days a week. Trying to figure out why I was rejected...boohoo
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 18:16

Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

I got rejected too but I didn't get any questions about activity level or foods I've eaten. What's up with that?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 18:51

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Thumbs down Rejected....

me too

I marked light activity. Maybe I have not been LCing long enough.

Oh well, maybe it's for the best for me. this study lasts 4 years, and I get bored easily.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 19:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

I don't think the activity level has anything to do with it as I have "light" marked on mine, but I do know you have to have been doing LC-ing for atleast 2 months before you are eligable, but there are probably some other reasons for the rejections as well that I don't know about .....

Chloe Mae & Whyspers - since you have both been LC-ing for under 2 months why don't you try to enroll again in when the 2 months from your start date has come around then you will probably be accepted... Di52 - I don't know why you were rejected - bummer

Fiona

Last edited by FionaC : Sun, Apr-20-03 at 19:10.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 19:16

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/174/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Yep...I was accepted too.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 05:12

Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

I'm 50 - do you think it's an age thing?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 05:23

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/174/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hmmm...I don't think it is an age thing. I am a soon to be 56 year old and they took me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 05:37
Registered Member

Stats: 227/184/135
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default age

It's not an age thing ... I'm 54 and I was just accepted.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 05:47

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I'll try again this weekend. Thursday puts me at two months. Thanks for pointing that out...I must have missed it when I signed up.

L