Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 21:53

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%
Default locarb bread/tortillas on Atkins induction?

Hi... I've been on induction for 3.5 weeks (4 next Tuesday!). I've been doing really well (have lost 16 pounds so far).

But here's my question: You know how the Atkins site says nothing that isn't on the "acceptable foods" list for induction is allowed during induction? Well...

I have an Atkins shake ever morning with breakfast. I also do the advantage bars... and I don't THINK I am one of those people who are sensitive to sugar alcohols since my loss has been steady and I feel great.

Anyway... I bought some locarb tortillas (3g a piece) and today I picked up some locarb bread made mainly from wheat gluten. They aren't on the acceptable foods list... but I keep a close eye on my carb intake and I barely get past 16g/day.

Are these going to kick me out of ketosis? Does anyone know?

thanks!
Meagan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 00:05
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi and welcome!

Congrats on your progress so far.

I strongly suggest you read the book pronto. NO bread or grains are allowed on induction. From the legal list you can deduct that anything that's not in it is illegal.
For your own sake - get real info!
Take care
alina
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 00:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

My view,

It really depends on what you want to do, if you want to stay on Induction and stick to the rules that Atkins sets out then no bread/grains etc ... however you can move to OWL's and keep your carb levels at 20g + and add things like more veggies, fruit, LC breads etc into your diet, its up to you, you need to find where you fit best in this system.

I stick to 20-25g net carbs, I say I'm doing OWLS and I eat fruit, nuts and I bought some LC bread and going to try a slice of that tomorow, I also make up LC tortillas from a recipe I found on this site (as we don't get La Tortilla's down here ) and I am fine with them - but it really is a YMMV....

Fiona

Last edited by FionaC : Sat, Apr-26-03 at 00:25.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 08:56

Hmmm... well I ate tortillas twice last week. I am still in ketosis. As I mentioned I am really watching my carb intake, though.

So they're a no-no? :/

Damn. I guess I'll be taking the bread back. I'm not ready for OWL yet. I wanted to lose about 15 more lbs before I did that.

I wonder if the tortillas affected me this last week. Normally I weigh myself every morning right after I wake (I know everyone says this is so bad, but I actually see weight come off so it's motivating for me). I normally see myself weight the same for 2-3 days or so then suddenly I'm 2 lbs less. Then it stays the same for a few days, then drops 2 lbs again. This week it dropped one lb one day and went right back up the next. I know scales aren't to be depended on... but... I dunno now I'm wondering if the tortillas are hindering my loss. I haven't changed anything else.

At least I'm not gaining! lol

I do measurements every Sunday evening...so I guess I'll know then whether this week was shot or not.

- Meagan
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear tekunoroji,

Why aren't you ready for OWL? Owl means onward weight loss - you still loose weight but slower and you can have a larger range of foods.

I'm one of those who thinks it's not a good idea to stay on induction for longer than the two weeks. Your body might get too used to it and then you'll never be able to increase the carbs.

Enjoy the bread!

Robert
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:41

Quote:
Originally posted by RCFletcher
Dear tekunoroji,

Why aren't you ready for OWL? Owl means onward weight loss - you still loose weight but slower and you can have a larger range of foods.

Because I'm admittedly impatient as hell. I am not patient enough to wait 3 months to lose this 15 pounds I've needed to get rid of for years. If it was going to take that long, I think I would cheat. I think I might just get too impatient and say forget it. I don't want to do that. Every other time I've tried to lose healthfully, it was just too slow and I wasn't patient enough for it. I felt like I was working my butt off and not eating the way I liked for barely anything.

Induction "rewards" my efforts quickly. If you get my meaning.

175lbs is only my first goal. I really felt best at 165-170 or so. Of course I have taken into account that my weight may not get to that point since when I weighed that much 5 years ago I had no muscle tone. But I'm a big Swedish girl and it's hard ENOUGH to find clothes that I *like* that *fit* me when I'm a size 10 (my size when I was 165), much less when I'm a size 12.

I plan to go on OWL as soon as I hit 175-180 or I feel my measurements are almost where I want them.

The Atkins site states one can stay on induction for as long as they don't feel bored, and they feel good. And I do feel good. Never better, in fact.

I don't want to give out the idea that this is just weight loss for me. I have been plagued with low blood sugar for years and this is the first time in I don't know how long that I have felt so good. This will be my WOL. I just need the motivation right now. And losing weight at a decent pace motivates me. What can I say?

However, I will take your advice about the induction making it so I may not be able to eat any carbs. :/ I would NOT want that to happen!

Meagan
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:19

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

1. I am impatient too. I stayed close to Induction levels the whole time until reaching my goal. The downside is -- I never went to Ongoing Weight Loss and now have no "transition phase" to Maintenance. This will all be trial and error from now on. People ask when I will be going off Atkins now that I have lost the weight. I tell them I am on this indefinitely.

2. There is a sharp division between the No Scale people and those who believe in weighing early and often. I am in the second group. The No Scale people think you will get discouraged if you don't see weight loss day to day. I could not have done it that way! I hopped on the scale several times a day! I don't believe in putting your head in the sand and building up suspense. The scale provided my main motivation during weight loss and gave me constant feedback. I looked forward to weighing in when I got up in the morning. Fitting into old clothes (the "Pants-o-meter") is gratifying too, but I tend to be a numbers person.

3. There are a lot of great health benefits to this plan, but I am not fooling myself -- I did it for the WEIGHT LOSS! I was on a DIET!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:23

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

I just checked your profile: Read the books! If, like me, you are too cheap to buy them -- go to the library and read everything you can get your hands on. The more you understand the underlying theories, the easier it is.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 23:24
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default My Two Cents

My impatience with dieting in the past caused me to fail. Why? Because my impatient logic told me to suffer to lose weight faster. The more I suffered, the faster I failed. Ding! That's been my problem.

Now, I lose about 7 lbs a month but I enjoy the things I like - low carb tortillas is one of themas well as Atkins bread made in my bread machine, etc.

The point is I dont FEEL like I am dieting at all. That's what counts. The ability to do this long term - for life is. Not feeling like I am dieting is essential for me to accomplish this.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 09:45

Default Re: My Two Cents

Quote:
Originally posted by Alleine

The point is I dont FEEL like I am dieting at all. That's what counts. The ability to do this long term - for life is. Not feeling like I am dieting is essential for me to accomplish this.

You know, I actually feel the same way. Induction is so much better than I used to eat. I was the frozen food/pasta queen. I also never worked out. I worked at a desk and had chronic pain in many parts of my body (probably due to atrophy! lol).

Not that I wouldn't like to have pasta every so often... but I hardly ever got any protein in me. I didn't like meat so much, and beans are not my friend. I actually wouldn't mind eating just like this for the rest of my life. The meal possibilities are endless.

However, I would, of course, like to have a little cup of icecream every now and then. And after I've got my weight down where I want it... I will! The main thing for me is that even once I have the weight off, I'm not going to go back to my old ways of eating. In fact, I'm disgusted when I think of the nasty things I used to eat. And I will continue to workout 3-5 times per week. I want to start biking, maybe swimming soon.

Life will just never be the same for me. And I have the "fast" weight loss of my first 3 weeks to thank for it. Without that motivation, I may not have been able to stick with it and realize how much better life could be for me. Even though I only lost a pound this week (to my dismay ), I'm not giving up. I'm going to measure myself and I feel confident that I'll see some sort of loss there.

thanks for all your help!

Meagan