Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 11:30
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question low-carb baking

I have been low-carbing for 27 days and have lost 7 pounds. Feel great without sugar, flour etc. I never have the gnawing hunger pangs that I used to always get (from carb and sugar overload). I am trying new recipes that I can slip by my family and have gotten alot from the net. However, I still can't get any bread recipe to come anywhere close to the comments people make on the recipe to get you to try it. They never rise more than 6 inches so I dont know how they can get 15 slices out of it. I have tried 5 different kinds and am ready to give up. We don't really miss the bread but once in a while it would be nice to have. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 16:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you find out how to make low carb bread that's even close to the high carb version, let me know! I've pretty much given up on trying to make low carb bread homemade and just taken to buying the low carb brands that I can find in the store. The low carb bread mixes aren't much better. We used the Atkins bread for quite a while, but recently I discovered another type that has the same amount of net carbs, much more fiber and tastes like a good whole grain bread. If I could figure out how to duplicate that recipe, I'd be in business!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

If you have atkins bake mix, there is a recipe for zucchini nut bread on atkinscenter.com that is SO GOOD.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 01:07

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I don't think you'll get low carb bread which is just like the high carb stuff. I experiment with almond flour, soy isolate powder and soy flour. I can turn out something which tastes OK and you can spread things on it but it's not just like I remember bread to be.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 14:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by muweek
..... However, I still can't get any bread recipe to come anywhere close to the comments people make on the recipe to get you to try it. They never rise more than 6 inches so I dont know how they can get 15 slices out of it. I have tried 5 different kinds and am ready to give up. We don't really miss the bread but once in a while it would be nice to have. What am I doing wrong?

hi there,

I dug around, and found an old thread from early 2001 .. when Kay posted her "Final Bread" recipe. The original recipe was for a bread machine, but Kay found that she could only use the machine for mixing and rising. She had to take the loaf out and finish baking in the oven. The results were excellent.

Now, before I give you the link ... if you scroll down a bit past Kay's post, you'll see a long note from Sharon, who gives detailed step-by-step instructions for making the bread by hand, for those who don't have a machine. She also included some photos of the bread at all stages, and you can clearly see that if you follow her instructions, you will have a nice, high loaf that slices beautifully.

Here's the photo .. Final Bread.

And here's the link to the discussion. Remember to scroll down to see Sharon's post.

Hope this inspires you to try it!!

Doreen