Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:17

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default Fitday use

All of you who use Fitday software to keep track of consumption: does anyone beside me have difficulty with it? I often don't use the quantity of an item (e.g. one cup) that they list, and there are
no other options...I find this extremely frustrating. Is there some way around this??

Thanks,

Val
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:47

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always click on the measurement 'down arrow' to determine if tablespoons, ounces, etc...are available. When 'cup' is the only default measurement I just list amounts as 0.5 of a cup, 0.75 of a cup, etc...for your recordkeeping, .0625 of a cup = a tablespoon. (16 tablespoons in a cup, 16 x .0625 = 1). If you expect to reuse such a measurement again, just enter '.0625' in the amount field, hit 'refresh nutrients' to reconfigure the calorie count from a cup to a tablespoon. Then you can hit 'customize this food' to save the measurement, making it available for next time.

Last edited by texascarl : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 23:55.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:52

Default Fitday

Thanks...I didn't try that (obviously)! It is also hard because I am in a country (Oz) that used metric, but am coping with it..also the items they list are American and so some of it is guesswork. For example, trying to find cooked chicken meat..what would "a serving" be??

Val
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:57

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Rule of thumb for meat servings...3 ounces. Visualize a deck of cards, that's about the size of 3 ounces of steak or chicken. I used to think 'that's a ridiculously small amount, who considers that a serving?'. But now, I just see a steak or chicken breast as 2 and a half servings, and list 'em accordingly.

Last edited by texascarl : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 23:59.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 06:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%

#6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Val,

You're right...Fitday can be annoying at times. The thing that helped me was buying a cheap food scale so there's no more "eyeballing" (I learned I was cheating myself). And then figuring out how to create a "custom food" at Fitday for those items that only give you a "cup" as a measurement.

You can go to the USDA Nutrient Database for most items. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl Create a custom food at Fitday for 100 grams and even if you enter your food in ounces, it will do the calculations for you.

judy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:43

Thanks to all...I am slowly figuring it out. I am eating more calories and fewer carbs than I would have thought (still under 1200) and it is interesting to see the breakdown in fats..of which I am eating a very large proportion re total calories, half being the 'good' oils (unsaturated) I have only lost 2k (4lbs) in a month though but feel that something is happening as people are telling me I look thinner..am close to goal weight anyway. Even if I don't lose another oz I am enjoying this WOE.

Val