Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 14:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/277/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Whats wrong with caffeine?

Well my actual question is I heard caffeine may slow progress is that true and why??
Also I guess another similiar question is I bought a few bottles of Ephadrene which has.. B6,B12,chromium,Guarana Seed(15% caffeine),Garcinia cambogia fruit(50% hydroxycitric acid) Ma Huang,L-Caritine,White willow bark,L-tyrosine

Would that also slow progress? If so why? thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:02

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

The main reason for excluding or reducing caffiene is because it is a stimulant and as such also stimulates insulin production. Part of this way of life is to try to detox your body and therefore like other drugs, too much caffiene is not a good thing.

With respect to question about ephadrene I am unable to help. Quite a bit of it looks OK, but not sure about a few bits of it. Hopefully someone else knows more on this score.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 21:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

It looks like you've bought a "fat burner" there, eh? There is a discussion in the general exercise forum about these "supplements" (also known as an ECA stack) which I suggest you read. You should also read general research on the web about the use of ephedrine (which has been banned in Canada) to make a fully informed decision.

This is a central nervous system stimulant which should be taken with great caution as they have been known to have serious health risks such as sudden heart attack and stroke. There are a number of health conditions that preclude the use of these stimulants, so please read the health warnings very carefully.

I, myself, have been LCing for 7 weeks. I have enjoyed the detoxing effects of this WOL so much so that I have even given up alcohol. I've been drinking (socially but regularly) for 20 years! I did the research and opted against taking ephedrine products, but there are many who do. Just proceed with caution and start with 1/2 the recommended dose, OK?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 12:06

Stats: 286/277/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Thank you

Yeah I have read about it and did see some of the warnings, I was just going to take like 1 a day. Thought maybe it would help a little and would make me feel better not throwing away $100
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 163.5/151/130
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Re : Fulltank

Okay.... The way I explain the caffine thing to people is this, think of the caffine as sugar or carbs (even thought it isn't). Doing a low carb diet, would you take in something that had sugar in it? No. Caffine causes the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin, too much to be used. That causes you to "crash" and you end up feeling very icky. Just think of caffine as a sugar.... It's the easiest way to remember to stay away from it. Also, L-Carnatine is one of the best fat burners you can find. Atkins reccomends it. For faster fat burner, I would suggest taking the L-Carnatine, Pantothenic (sp?) Acid, and Pantotheen (sp?). Dr. Atkins recomends them all and they work... I lost 5 1/2" off my waist taking them... If you want more information on what vitamins and supplements to take, I would reccomned purchasing Dr. Atkins' Nutrition book. Also, Ephendrine effects the bloodsugar the same way caffine does. It's a stimulent and is meant to speed up your body's digestive system. I would steer clear of anything made with Ephendrine... It's not good for your health and can cause serious health problems in certain people. I woud suggest purchasing Dr. Atkins' nutrition and supplement book. It'll tell you about everything you need to be taking to stay healthy. I hope I helped!

*~* Felicia *~*