Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 03:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/177/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Potatoes or aspartamine (or both)

Just started the second week on induction and the weight loss has dropped off.

I'm into purple on the "Ketostix" tests ("Large" 8 rather than the very dark final reading of 16mmo/L)

Working basically from the Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook with the 20 gram carbohydrate allowance strictly in mind.

Think I have sinned grieviously because I looked at the listed foods at the end of the book and worked out that I could have about 14 grams of carbohydrate in the form of baked spud two days running (this was within my daily limit of 20 though)

The other possibilty is the treat I have been giving myself of Tesco sugar free jelly and I note that this has aspartamine in it . See now this was in the ongoing weight loss menu and not the induction one.

Quote:
We discourage the use of aspartame (marketed as NutraSweet® and Equal®) because of clinical observations that it slows weight loss in certain individuals. The FDA has approved the herb stevia for use only as a supplement, not as a sweetener

Despite the static weight over the last two days my apparant body fat seems still to be disappearing.

My only redemption is that I didn't blame the diet - I know it is working well for other people.

Edit to alter calories (incorrect) to grams of carbohydrate (correct)

Last edited by Worldlife : Wed, Mar-10-04 at 09:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 06:53
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

The wording in you post is throwing me off a bit. 20 calorie carb allowance. I do not think that carbs are counted in a calories form. They are two different things. A potato itself has a lot of carbs. How does one go about measureing only 14 calories? OR in this case 14 carbs worth which I think couldn't be that much at all?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 08:40
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

The food list in induction is stressed in the book. This is all you can eat while doing induction. Unfortunately ,.... no potatoes. I just started my 3rd week of induction. I didn't lose a single lb. during the 2nd week. I.m thinking our bodies will do this in their own good time. Stick to your induction. Chin up!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
The wording in you post is throwing me off a bit. 20 calorie carb allowance. I do not think that carbs are counted in a calories form. They are two different things. A potato itself has a lot of carbs. How does one go about measureing only 14 calories? OR in this case 14 carbs worth which I think couldn't be that much at all?

You are dead right Mary.....

It should be grams of carbohydrate....(but I got the numbers right if not the unit!)

Thanks to you both

Vic

PS I'll edit the first post so as not to confuse others
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 09:45

BF:
Default The Maths of Potatoe eating

Just done a check on my figures.....

DACookbook carb list gives a 110g baked spud as having 21 grams of carb.

Our supermarket baking spuds average 225 grams

Half spud is therefore about 21 grams carb
Estimate one third ( two thirds of a half!) at about 14 carb
Quarter spud is about 10 grams carb

Will enjoy them again (just as a occasional treat with lashings of butter) but at the right phase of the diet!!

WHOOPS,,,,,intended this to be posted with this sub heading in Potatoes or Aspartamine thread. Sorry about the new thread!!!

Last edited by Worldlife : Wed, Mar-10-04 at 09:50.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:48

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

i think the reason we are NOT to eat potatoes is that they are incredibly starchy and high on the glycemic index. High glycemic foods don't belong in anyone's diet! They are the antithesis of a locarb food, it doesn't matter if you have only a tiny bit.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:59

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Potatoes are allowed back in the maintenance phases of Atkins but to the tune of 1/4 to 1/2 cup servings I believe it is. I am sure it's not meant to be a daily indulgence even at that point either though. Try some mashed cauliflower for a while. You might find you prefer it after months of having something a little more flavorful than your average spud.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 12:56

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I wouldn't worry about the sugar free jelly. I eat it all the time and still manage to lose. Some people react badly to aspartame but not all.

With regard to the spuds, I don't think they are a good idea because they have a high G.I. and cause a sudden surge in insulin levels.

Have you tried mashed cauliflower? Cook cauliflower well and mash it with butter and pepper. It's a good supstitute for mashed potato. I even use it for topping shepard's pies etc.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:01

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

OOOH shepards pie! Now that is something I have craved many times since starting atkins. HMM>>> I might have to give that a try. The wonders of cauliflower never cease to amaze me!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 13:13

BF:

Phew you both have me salivating for the cauliflower with butter and pepper.

My goodness I'm supposed to be on a diet...........

Today I realised for the evening meal that I had used very little of my carb allowance. Just some watercress with eggs for breakfast and with a home made diet burger for lunch.

18.5 carbs contained in spinach and french beans seemed to make quite a pile of veggies.

Last edited by Worldlife : Wed, Mar-10-04 at 13:22.